Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good discussion.

This can also be used as a counter-sniper method or for Law Enforcement to quietly move rifles into a location before an assault.
    "Four words: We win; they lose."

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Good discussion.

This can also be used as a counter-sniper method or for Law Enforcement to quietly move rifles into a location before an assault.
    Indeed the possibilities are limited only by the tactics used to employ it.

Cheers
    T

Once again this is outstanding SUA.

I just so happen to own a 15 passenger van... but think I will try something different.

Will instead try this with my sons Crown Vic. This car is very well insulated from outside noise, I assume it will also greatly suppress noise generated from the inside as well.

Question. Why shoot out of the drivers window and not the passengers side?

I ask this because I might want to have a driver sitting in his seat and appearing to tend to business, or ready to slowly drive off as soon as the shot has been made.

Frighteningly familiar. Your setup is high class to what I have seen while in the box, the ones I got to see were basically a impromptu hide in the trunk with a brake light removed or a rust spot for the shoot hole.
    Top notch work btw.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    Once again this is outstanding SUA.

I just so happen to own a 15 passenger van... but think I will try something different.

Will instead try this with my sons Crown Vic. This car is very well insulated from outside noise, I assume it will also greatly suppress noise generated from the inside as well.

Question. Why shoot out of the drivers window and not the passengers side?

I ask this because I might want to have a driver sitting in his seat and appearing to tend to business, or ready to slowly drive off as soon as the shot has been made.
    I came to the same conclusion that shooting out the passenger side window would allow for the driver to have the option to stay behind the wheel for an immediate departure. It would also make positioning the vehicle in the right spot easier, since the shooter could be on his rifle, looking thru the loophole and inform the driver when he likes what he sees. I didn't even think about it until after we were set-up, and for the "experiment" we didn't want to change every thing around.

Yea Frosty I have seen the same thing down range also "Not an original idea" It has been used by many insurgent groups world wide. Sometimes very complex set-up sometimes very simple.

Cheers
    T

One could also have a semi with trailer - where you could discreatly climb up and onto the roof of the sleeper-cab and onto the trailer. Lying prone on top of the trailer makes you invisible from the street level and puts you up high - providing more flexibility and options. One could even lie prone inside your sleeper cab and shoot out a window. Sniper hides don't get much more comfortable than lying in bed........

Keep your truck running which helps hide the shot - take your shot - and go. One may want to dispose of the weapon (or at least break it down and hide it) prior to any Interstate travel.

Using the right vehicle also allows you to drive around gathering intel completely unnoticed. Who's gonna bother some minivan with a REALTOR sign on the door driving around slowly? Who's gonna bother a delivery vehicle that makes frequent stops? Even more options open up with a 2 man team - one driving and one hidden shooter.

One thing that MUST be considered is the potential FIRE Hazard. Shooting from inside - especially a foam padded or insualted car could result in a major fire from the muzzle flash. Even standard car interiors can quickly burn if exposed to flame. I would probably use a wet suppressor - even with supersonic loads. This would capture any flash and reduce the sound. Even a homemade - field expedient suppressor could work.

Also keep a WATER fire extinguisher. Dry chemical & CO2 would be noticed from the outside and force you from the car. Water would be quick and easy - still allowing you to hit the road.

Why just think of vehicles?

This could be a portable setup that could be used anywhere - vehicle, room, open field, urban brownfield, etc.

How would you do IR suppression?
    "Four words: We win; they lose."

Here in texas, 6 or 7 vehicles out of 10 on the road are pickup trucks. How about one with a topper on it. Possibly have ports to shoot out of on all three sides. The thing on this is it would really blend in here.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war

The Ford E series vans of 1976 through 1991, if i remember correctly, maybe later models, too, have easily removed tail light assemblies. Fake screw heads on the outside and magnets to hold the lights in place, would allow quick shots from a "conversion van" with insulation built in and carpet covering the interior. I've thought about it in my more dysfunctional moments, and I'd go with an insulated and trimmed F**k truck, probably an E-150. Such a set-up was the key to a plot of a TV show many years ago.
    Last edited by Kansas Volunteer; 09-09-2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: after thought
    KV Dysfunctional Veteran

They sicken of the calm who know the storm.

KRG - AKRG - AK 0-300 - AK Armorer - DPS - CRGX2 - PSGS - PSP - APSP - Shotgun - CPM HITS - Defensive Knife HITS