SI 2014 Training
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvKY View Post
    Think of the trust as an "entity" whose name the gun is registered in.

You [and/or other person(s) - if you so choose] are then designated as the person who is in charge of/owns/represents/is responsible for/liable for whatever is in that trust.

...obviously you can tell from my choice of wording above that I am not a lawyer :-) - thank goodness for that ;-)

Cheers,
    HarvKY
    what are the steps to create? a trust and how much it cost?

Keep in mind state laws, too. I was going to go the trust route here in NC, where my county CLEO will not sign off on NFA forms. He's a pretty good guy, cranks out the CCWs like nobody's business, but has pressure on him from the state level. The state laws are worded weirdly in that it neither specifies the ability nor inability to circumvent CLEO signoff via a trust, and our Asst AG receives notification of every one approved by BATF. He's a Donk and maintains a very high interest. I've never heard nor seen anybody being prosecuted for it, but I've seen where local NFA lawyers have advised against it. I've not the funds to be the first person to fight it if my number came up, and I've also decided I'm way too pretty for prison.

Oedipus

The Carbine Kid

I'm a simple man...all I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.

www.guntrustlawyer.com

Good guy, reasonable, and good service. He ammended mine and made it bulletproof. Total cost was $600. Tell 'em Gabe Suarez sent you and that I said he was good to go.

To go the "personal" route is the most foolish and time consuming way - PERIOD.

Use a Trust - and no I don't care if your CLEO will sign - as he shouldn't have to sign - but that's another debate........

Use a corporation if you are in the NFA business - and it's for said business......

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    www.guntrustlawyer.com

Good guy, reasonable, and good service. He ammended mine and made it bulletproof. Total cost was $600. Tell 'em Gabe Suarez sent you and that I said he was good to go.

This is who is doing mine as well! They answer all of your questions, send it to the lawyer in your state and get it approved. PLUS the fee ($600) is split between the two firms. You don't have to pay two different lawyers. Hope that made sense.

If you end up going the individual route, what happens to the firearm if you die?
    "Listen here buddy, I'm not the type of guy that leaves his G.I. Joe's in the box and stares at them!"

Quote Originally Posted by valentin_84 View Post
    If you end up going the individual route, what happens to the firearm if you die?
    It is part of your estate and goes to your heir(s) who must file the proper form(s) with BATFE.

I had no idea something like a gun trust even existed. That seems to be the way to go.
    "It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid"- High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    www.guntrustlawyer.com

Yep, I just had him do one. Price is now $750, but worth it I believe. They answered all my questions, and I had a lot.
    Remember - When seconds count, the police are only minutes away....
    Glock Certified Armorer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Gabe beat me to it. But thanks Dr. John, the info you gave was very good.

BTW. It is legal now to have sbr in Alabama and I also believe shotguns too.

Jesus Christ and American veterans and the only two forces willing to give up their lives for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast