Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Howdy All,

As a longtime FFS guy and instructor RGEI has to be my fav "go to" grip .

My full time job is in sale for a large meat wholesaler/distributor and I must see 700 to 1000 hogs come through our rails a week, I watch a lot of meat get cut and every butcher uses this grip when breaking bodies, its quite sobering to see a butcher cut a 150lb pig in half with a 5inch boning knife with one small thrust into the joint just below the joint of the tail and spine and one pull cut through the meat, there is no substitute for RGEI when you need power in the thrust and in the cut.

Eric Draven and I recently designed a knife for exactly this system, when done I will get Eric to post a pic.

I am looking fwd to seeing what Gabe comes up with on this .

All the best,

Jim
    Last edited by sneaky; 07-04-2009 at 02:57 AM.
    Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
    Howdy All,

As a longtime FFS guy and instructor RGEI has to be my fav "go to" grip .

My full time job is in sale for a large meat wholesaler/distributor and I must see 700 to 1000 hogs come through our rails a week, I watch a lot of meat get cut and every butcher uses this grip when breaking bodies, its quite sobering to see a butcher cut a 150lb pig in half with a 5inch boning knife with one small thrust into the joint just below the joint of the tail and spine and one pull cut through the meat, there is no substitute for RGEI when you need power in the thrust and in the cut.

Eric Draven and I recently designed a knife for exactly this system, when done I will get Eric to post a pic.

I am looking fwd to seeing what Gabe comes up with on this .

All the best,

Jim
    I like the knife Eric designed for Ray, and after watching Ray's FFS video that was so graciously given to me by another WT member, I like it a lot.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

I've been carrying a second generation endura since they first came out. If I knew they where going to change the design I would have bought ten. However recently a good friend gave me a knife I have to say is really cool. The Cold Steel Ti Light. Other than it uses a liner lock(though it seems very sturdy) it seems to fit the bill. It is a great thruster, seems very sturdy, it's quick, has a sort of wave, and the nostalgic allure of the stiletto switch blade look. The pocket clip will need to be broken in since it is super tight and sometimes slows my draw. Over all I like it a lot, but I'll need to play with it a lot more before switching to it full time. Still it is worth considering.

Tony Torre
    Miami Arnis Group
    www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Torre View Post
    I've been carrying a second generation endura since they first came out. If I knew they where going to change the design I would have bought ten. However recently a good friend gave me a knife I have to say is really cool. The Cold Steel Ti Light. Other than it uses a liner lock(though it seems very sturdy) it seems to fit the bill. It is a great thruster, seems very sturdy, it's quick, has a sort of wave, and the nostalgic allure of the stiletto switch blade look. The pocket clip will need to be broken in since it is super tight and sometimes slows my draw. Over all I like it a lot, but I'll need to play with it a lot more before switching to it full time. Still it is worth considering.

Tony Torre
    Miami Arnis Group
    www.miamiarnisgroup.com
    +1
    I bought mine for nothing more than nostalgia but after I played with it for a while I found it has a lot to offer.

Default About #4....

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    4). Rough handle. Either G-10 or rough designed zytel handles. When you stab another man, his juices will get all over your blade and hand.
    With that in mind, I found this statement at the Reverse Edge Knives site to be interesting:

Linen/Canvas Micarta offers some unique properties. Like wood, the linen/canvas micarta
    has moisture absorbing qualities that allow it to remain "tacky" when wet (such as with sweat,
    water, blood, etc.) This "tackiness" is a great advantage in maintaining control of your knife
    under extreme circumstances.
    Now I worked in a slaughterhouse in high school, butchered many a cow on our farm and cleaned game in the field, but have never used a wood-handled (let alone Micarta) knife in those environs. I've also never had to stab any of those animals to save my life ;) For those with more relevant experience than mine, is there any truth to their statement?
    -=[ Grant ]=-

Ive got the Buck folder that is the copy of the Strider folder that they built for a while, and its been a great knife, and I recomend it if you can find one.
    In Obre Terrum Non Visi

Proud member, the Zionist Crusaders Alliance

I picked up a Spyderco Cara Cara last summer, then my daughter got one too (she's definitely no "shrinking violet" when it comes to being prepared to do violence). Rough textured FRN handle, 3.8" blade, lockback, and the clip can be attached to either end, either side depending on your carry preference. And best of all - $20. I now have several, 1 personal carry, 1 in the car, 1 in the night stand, 1 in my brief case, 1 in the kitchen utility drawer.

Maybe not the "creme de la creme", but very functional, and meets (or nearly so) most of Gabe's criteria - and inexpensive enough to have several. Feel free to PM me if you're interested in a good source for purchasing (never sure about publicly recommending a vendor).
    - Scott

"The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win." -- Bear Bryant

I have a question. I've never purchased a self-defense knife and I'm looking at the Benchmade Presidio Pardue. It comes in plain edge and combo edge (plain/serrated). From what I can tell from the posts here, I think this is a good knife. But what about plain versus combo. Which way do you fellas think is the best way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by gatordave View Post
    I have a question. I've never purchased a self-defense knife and I'm looking at the Benchmade Presidio Pardue. It comes in plain edge and combo edge (plain/serrated). From what I can tell from the posts here, I think this is a good knife. But what about plain versus combo. Which way do you fellas think is the best way to go?
    my personal preference is for a full plain edge and not a combo. I don't see any purpose in partial serrations that a sharp knife can't do. It is also much easier to sharpen a plain edge than a combo edge. I've been convince for over 3 years now it is just marketing hype for the combo. YMMV

Everybody has posted great points. I carry my cold steel AK-47 knife with G-10 scales everyday. it is sharp has hell, has a great lock and is still a good size for everyday carry. The knife does not cost to much and I am sure a lot of people have and use them. A friend of mine who is a carpenter carries one everyday for work and he has beat the hell out of his and it keeps ticking.......
    Buy a gun today, Tomorrow may be to late!!
    Always check your six
    NRA LIFE MEMBER