Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    boom-stick Guest
    I'm always on the look-out for the next best blade but for the past few years in training both here and over seas at AMOK camps I've used a zip-tied ghetto-waved delica trainer and it's been great. I've got a standard waved delica and a waved endura (the endura was from a good friend on here, cheers buddy :)) and they suit my 'train how you'd fight' mentality.

By that I mean, when training with them wearing my "normal" clothes, my trousers don't get ripped up like they do when I practice with my Emerson Commander. The Commander is a great knife but I'd fret about losing it and I don't like the way the wave, "waves" through my pockets:(

UK Laws not with standing, if I could I'd carry, I'd go for my CRKT large kasper, it's big and strong like a folding bowie knife.

Like others have mentioned, I'm not that keen the endura because of it's failure to lock-up sometimes, but the delica behaves when I do my part.

I'm currently training with a Boker subclaw, carried tip down, on my centre line IWB. It's a bit slow(er) to access but it's well concealed behind a belt, offers good lock-up and is nice and 'slashy':D
    But no good for point work.

But like I said at the top, I'm still looking for that perfect knife.

I'm no expert, but I'm kind'a liking the CRKT folding Hissatsu as it seems to meet all the requirements and is not expensive. However, there is no folding Hissatsu trainer at this time.
    Last edited by coastrifle; 07-03-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    "The brave and generous have the best lives. They are seldom sorry."
    Viking saying

NRA Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol Instructor
    SI Classes: CRG, ECRG, PSP

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty or Death
    I have found that folders with "the wave" can be very unreliable if you are moving dynamically.
    Similar experiences here brother with a waved blade carried "traditional" style low in the pocket. The wave for me really need to come out with the hand moving parallel to your hip and past your butt. Any variation through movement and twisting and you're wave is hosed. High in the pocket has worked better for me.

McCann has an interesting point on his new knife DVD where he shows how the traditional wave openings and inertial opening leave your arm vulnerable to jamming as it travel back past your butt or high in the air. He is going for non-waved knives and opening them by flipping the stud/hole like shooting a marble with the knife held tight against his hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty or Death View Post
    Having practiced this in both FOF
    That is a nice way of saying would have killed me a few times if it was not a trainer blade:)
    Last edited by Dont Tread on Me; 07-03-2009 at 07:41 AM.

So, is this the best way to open the wave:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA

Quote Originally Posted by smince View Post
    So, is this the best way to open the wave:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA
    That's exactly what I did, but I still had the other "issues" we discussed. I agree with what McCann says about the dangers of drawing a waved folder rearward to open in forward grip (sabre or covulsive). The arm does travel a good distance rearward, which sets you up for a fouled draw. I think if you are going to carry a waved folder, it does need to be set up to open into Pikal.
    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Don't lose the forest for the trees. ALL FOLDERS are a compromise. NO FOLDERS - whether blessed by me, Southnarc, McCann, or the knifegod, are perfect. They all start the fight broken and must be "fixed" to be able to fight with them. That is why I said -

9). A fixed blade is more desirable than a folder, but a folder may be required in some applications. If a folder is used, the lock should be robust and not technically clever.

That means if I live in a free state where I can carry a fixed blade, you bet your *ss I am going to carry a fixed blade. But not everyone does, and so a folder is necessary.

But...overall folders sell far more than fixed. If that was not the case, Spyderco would not have built the knives they have built. So maybe an economic compromise as well for knife makers (and knife instructors that know folding knives suck). But the knife most people will carry is a folder.

So then the issue becomes, how can I get my broke/folded knife fixed/open to fight with it. And as important...how can I keep it closed in my pocket so I don't cut myself.

There is inertia openings which I am fond of. There is also some sort of wave feature, which may give you an opportunity to open the knife upon extraction. NO KNIFE, no matter whether it is Cold Steel's AK-47 (with one of the most aggressive waves I have seen), or the pin on the Pikal, or the merson wave, will open your knife 100% perfectly and that is why a good system would layer things to get the knife open.

Moreover, not everyfight wil beging as a jujitsu match. To think this is as short sighted as thinking it will never happen. Dynamic movement doe schange things. How many perfect range holsters have proven unworkable in FOF?

So if you need to carry a "broken knife" you need to have a system to open it with a primary opening as well as a back up plan if that opening doesn't work.

The deadliest guy I ever met that actually stabbed people with a knife regularly...he carried a Buck 110.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    That's exactly what I did, but I still had the other "issues" we discussed. I agree with what McCann says about the dangers of drawing a waved folder rearward to open in forward grip (sabre or covulsive). The arm does travel a good distance rearward, which sets you up for a fouled draw. I think if you are going to carry a waved folder, it does need to be set up to open into Pikal.
    I think another issue - which we see regularly in the 0-5 feet class is that people want to access the "tool" far too early in the fight. Big punch coming toward you - do you deal with the big punch, or do you reach for your super-bitchin $300 knife??
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    I think another issue - which we see regularly in the 0-5 feet class is that people want to access the "tool" far too early in the fight. Big punch coming toward you - do you deal with the big punch, or do you reach for your super-bitchin $300 knife??
    This came up in the Sotis class I took recently. At hands on ranges, trying to deal with an assailant with one hand while deploying a weapon with the other just doesn't work. If the attacker has a knife, you're going to get pretty badly cut up before you can get the weapon out. Creating some distance to buy yourself enough time to draw your knife or gun is vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Creating some distance to buy yourself enough time to draw your knife or gun is vital.
    Exactly so. Some people apparently think otherwsie
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Exactly.

I am a big fan of the wave, but have actually begun going away from it of late. I have not been able to train myself to immediately open it by another method if it doesn't open with the wave, and I don't like that. They are so close to 100% that I have had a difficult time transitioning to open it with the hole if it doesn't open. I've yet to decide if this is a training issue (very well may be), or if it is such a rare occurrence that I am never going to be able to train to do it instantly. I am almost to the point where I think it is better not to depend upon a wave at all and to use a traditional opening AFTER enough space has been created so that the draw is not fouled.
    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**