Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smince View Post
    I recently bought a Spyderco P'Kal and have it set up in a similar fashion, except for left-hand draw. I like it very well so far.
    I really like this knife. If you decide to go REM, and all my hard FOF experience confirms that point driven hammer fists work, the knife is the bomb. You can run other blades in this style but nothing else has the combination of excellent lock, wave, handle design, low profile clip and handle color, and sharpness.

My backup knife carried IWB is the Benchmade Presido. This is a very underrated knife. You get an axis lock an the handle is reasonably agnostic to grip.

My offside chore and arm somebody else if I have to knife is a small Delica. It is a great thin knife and runs well REM. I find the lock is sensitive to pocket lint and more prone to lock bounce.
    Last edited by Dont Tread on Me; 07-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.

On the Spyderco Pikal. I played with one for a while and I do not like the blade style at all. The reverse curve is far more difficult to sharpen and you are limited in its use. I see that knife in the same light I see the very well marketed Kerambit - a specialized tool with a very limted crossover use for anything else.

Now...consider a similar knife that will do everything the Pikal will do except NOT COST AS MUCH, and with a far easier to sharpen and use blade - The Waved Endura. I have one right here with me, as well as the trainer version of it. The blade is as long as the Pikal...maybe a hair longer. The blade is an easy to sharpen design, yet very much suited for stabbing. It has a sound lock, and yet costs a fraction of what the Pikal does.

For the price of one Pikal, you can get two Waved Enduras AND a trainer.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    For the price of one Pikal, you can get two Waved Enduras AND a trainer.
    I got mine 2nd hand, but never carried, for just a little more than the waved Endura:D

But I do understand your criticisms.

How is the lock on the Spyderco Waved Endura ?
    "Anyone too proud to learn is too arrogant to win a fight" -Gabe Suarez

"We should provide in peace what we need in war." -Publilius Syrus

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

Kafr,

In reply to the guy in the picture: "Meet my little friend from the ComBloc!"

Cliff
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

The Spartans never asked how many of the enemy there were, only where they could find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith 2-1 View Post
    How is the lock on the Spyderco Waved Endura ?
    Old style lockback design.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I EDC the Delica Wave and never have trouble "catching the wave" when I deploy it for everyday tasks.

However...

In the heat of rolling around at an ECQC class last year I pulled the waved Delica trainer three times and not once did I manage to catch it. I tried a friend's Endura and due to the extra length preventing some of the angling I do to catch the Delica wave, I missed it several times just in casual use.

On the flip side, I tried DTOM's Pkal and found it hard to remove the Pkal from my pocket without it catching in casual use.

I am not accomplished with the knife by any stretch of the imagination, but I am capable of "angry monkey with a spike" moves. So I have no opinion on reverse edge except that I think it is part of a larger system that you either buy into or you don't.

The PKal is an expensive knife to lose over and over and over again, isn't it DTOM? Maybe you need to add some skateboard tape to the grip to keep it from running away.

This thread especially #9 on the list has caused me to reevaluate my EDC knife. I carry a Spyderco endura. I was going to upgrade to a more expensive knife. But, I've never considered ditching my knife. I think I'll just stick with the endura. I've trained with it for years and I can deploy it quick and effectively. Stick with what you know, I guess.
    "Fight with your spirit and the sword will follow."

Stupid can be fatal. DON'T get any on you.

Robert D
    KD7OPI

http://teckomando.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    In the heat of rolling around at an ECQC class last year I pulled the waved Delica trainer three times and not once did I manage to catch it.
    And we have some great video of that and your opponent stabbing the hell out of you with his fixed blade while you were opening your folder. If concealed fixed blades were not a felony in our neck of the woods....

I've had similar issues with the Spyderco Endura and Delica family on lock bounce.

On the flip side, I tried DTOM's Pkal and found it hard to remove the Pkal from my pocket without it catching in casual use.
    I'd argue that is a good thing!

The PKal is an expensive knife to lose over and over and over again, isn't it DTOM?
    I only lost 3 of them before I realized they don't work with the pocket angel in 5.11 pants and fag cut jeans.
    Last edited by Dont Tread on Me; 07-02-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Hey you were not supposed to mention the reverse-angle footage. From the front it looked like I won the day -- and that's the only vid I show my friends! Fixed blade in the FUT is totally cheating vs any folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Tread on Me View Post
    And we have some great video of that and your opponent stabbing the hell out of you with his fixed blade while you were opening your folder.