Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default Ten Attributes To Select Your Fighting Knife

1). Sharp as hell and pointy as f***, you can't stab anyone or cut anyone with a dull round nosed blade. If this sounds vulgar, it is. There is nothing dainty about ramming a 3" piece of steel into a man's thrioat and tiwsting it as he fights to get it out.

2). Point in line with the handle. Upswept blades may be the acme of the knifemaker artist, but they suck eggs for ramming through a clavicle.

3). Long enough...but not too long. We hear that about lots of things.

4). Rough handle. Either G-10 or rough designed zytel handles. When you stab another man, his juices will get all over your blade and hand.

5). Solid lock. Liner locks suck. I don't care how graceful or cool they are...they suck. Axis lock as seen with benchmade or with Cold Steel is the way to go, or with an old style lockback design.

6). Solid opening method. This being 2009, and the "Wave" concept being as old as the pyramids now....a combat blade should have a wave feature if it is a folder.

7). Good steel. That does NOT mean stainless. I don't give an airborne fornication about stains on my knife...I WANT IT SHARP!

8). Again, if a folder, it needs a movable clip so operators may carry it as desired. The more I work on this Killing-focused system, the more I am liking reverse grip - edge in. That means for a righty, you carry point up- blade forward.

9). It must be cost-effective. Notice I did not say CHEAP. Cheap knives are for fags. Cost-effective means that if I decide to ditch it, I will not be heart broken to lose my special one-of-a-kind....nor will that special one-of-a-kind be tied to me.

10). There should be a boatload of them out there in society....like Glocks. Thus you cannot be identified or tied to the gear you use.

If some of this stuff sounds like it comes from the world of the criminal rather than the world of the law abiding good guy, it does. One does not go to a clean shaven all-american altar boy to learn to cut a throat.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    10). There should be a boatload of them out there in society....like Glocks. Thus you cannot be identified or tied to the gear you use.
    A little off topic but...

Keep in mind that if they want you bad enough, say the knife was used to kill somebody, they may DNA swab it. I believe all members of the military submit DNA samples these days so the nuumber of people on file gets larger every day.

And, of course, don't forget your basic prints and fibers that can be connected to you.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Al Lipscomb Guest
    In the USA and parts of Europe DNA and such is a problem. I am sure there is an art to "ditching" that deserves some research.

All good points. I like my Cold Steel Recon 1 and I think it fits all 10 of these points along with the other 10 point knife threads you have made so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout View Post
    A little off topic but...

Keep in mind that if they want you bad enough, say the knife was used to kill somebody, they may DNA swab it. I believe all members of the military submit DNA samples these days so the nuumber of people on file gets larger every day.

And, of course, don't forget your basic prints and fibers that can be connected to you.
    Well my idea of ditching...is throwing it into a dumpster, a furnace, into some water or burying it in the ground. Not dropping it right there. That is "losing" it...ditching it to me means hiding it and then leaving it.
    Last edited by Matthew Sweeney; 06-30-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    "Anyone too proud to learn is too arrogant to win a fight" -Gabe Suarez

"We should provide in peace what we need in war." -Publilius Syrus

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

Normally agree on the access-type locks...

BUT I used to daily carry a Cold Steel Recon 1.
    The springs powering the lock broke and I nearly lost some fingers as a result.
    This was not from torture testing. Just plain ol' slashing practice.
    My Youtube Channel

Learning self defense is a mandatory part of being a responsible adult.
    (If you don't, then you ain't.)

"In [martial arts] if you don't train with insight but just do the form, you'll never gain skill." — Masaaki Hatsumi

Islam: the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDude72 View Post
    Normally agree on the access-type locks...

BUT I used to daily carry a Cold Steel Recon 1.
    The springs powering the lock broke and I nearly lost some fingers as a result.
    This was not from torture testing. Just plain ol' slashing practice.
    wow...did you send that thing back? I'm not saying I buy into hype...but the Cold Steel torture tests were pretty impressive.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

Nope, ditched it in my closet somewhere.

I'm a big Cold Steel supporter. Love their knives in general.

Also love the Benchmade iteration of the Axis lock.

But the thin wire springs in the Cold Steel Axis lock version give me pause, especially considering personal experience.

May have gotten a bad apple. YMMV. Etc.
    My Youtube Channel

Learning self defense is a mandatory part of being a responsible adult.
    (If you don't, then you ain't.)

"In [martial arts] if you don't train with insight but just do the form, you'll never gain skill." — Masaaki Hatsumi

Islam: the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

I am a big supporter of them as well. And my Recon has been rock solid. You should send that puppy back and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDude72 View Post
    Nope, ditched it in my closet somewhere.

I'm a big Cold Steel supporter. Love their knives in general.

Also love the Benchmade iteration of the Axis lock.

But the thin wire springs in the Cold Steel Axis lock version give me pause, especially considering personal experience.

May have gotten a bad apple. YMMV. Etc.
    The Benchmade axis-lock is not the same as the lock on the CS Recon 1. Similar, but different. I would be extremely surprised if you could get a BM axis-lock to break.
    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Okay, I admit it, I'm ignorant. You all keep talking about different types of locks on knives. Could someone explain the difference to me please? What type of lock does Spyderco have?
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!