Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    I'm one of the others. Why do you say this?

(I carry a second knife for all those other things.)
    It's the familiarity thing. If you use it constantly as a tool, you will know it's heft, how it moves, how not to slice open your own hand, etc.

Constant use breeds proficiency. After training with Tom in Ft. Worth last year I bought this Benchmade with an axis lock. It hasn't left my pocket since, and I use it for everything. Having a pretty show piece negated the very principle of actually carrying this thing. The paint is scratched, faded and worn. It's a tool.

And I'm very familiar with it.

Something I do that helps is that I don't put anything else in my front pocket that has my fighter in there. Pen, business cards, smaller knife all go in other pocket. I don't use the clip, either. The knife is always there, in the same position, unobstructed.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
    Why the change?
    We study...we learn...we test...we get better at things...opinions change
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I would be one of those people that if I carried a small knife for everyday use I'd forget the big business one and draw the wrong knife. :D
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

Quote Originally Posted by John McCreery View Post
    I would be one of those people that if I carried a small knife for everyday use I'd forget the big business one and draw the wrong knife. :D
    My guess is thats one of the reasons for 10. " Ah, a knife problem, I know where my knife is.
    Vegetarians eat Vegetables, Humanitarians frighten me.

You ought to discover some day that words have an exact meaning.--Francisco d'Anconia--Ayn Rand

I carry two knives...one in each pocket. One is for utilitarian tasks and the other is for "other" tasks. But make no mistake...I use my "other" knife...and I train with it constantly.
    "Anyone too proud to learn is too arrogant to win a fight" -Gabe Suarez

"We should provide in peace what we need in war." -Publilius Syrus

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

Speaking of Spyderco Police model...

Probably not how you want that knife seen in front of a jury. LOL.
    (Even if it is just corn syrup, water, and food coloring.)

+1 on the stabbing. Not only are the thrusts nasty, but some of the best damage you can do is all the slashing after you've go that stab inside flesh.

People on here probably know I rant and rave excessively about Hideaway Knives, but if you use that breed of blade, they slash a heckuva lot better once the stab is inside.
    And HAKs are easy-breezy to integrate into principle 10. :D
    My Youtube Channel

Learning self defense is a mandatory part of being a responsible adult.
    (If you don't, then you ain't.)

"In [martial arts] if you don't train with insight but just do the form, you'll never gain skill." Masaaki Hatsumi

Islam: the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith 2-1 View Post
    I carry two knives...one in each pocket. One is for utilitarian tasks and the other is for "other" tasks. But make no mistake...I use my "other" knife...and I train with it constantly.
    Bingo. And if for some reason I forgot my pocket machete (like tonight ), well the 3" utility knife is still there.

Actually I usually have at least three or four knives on me. I got the Spyderco Enduro, a Spyderco Native, a swiss army knife, and a multi-tool. All have different uses and are used accordingly. The Enduro sits in the right front pocket, the Native in the left front. Oh, I forgot about the little multi-tool on my key chain. Yeah I am known as a knife nutt but they say it like is is something bad????
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Good stuff from Gabe, as usual. I agree that as we train and grow, opinions and other things are going to change. It is all about advancing our knowledge and becoming better at what we do. That is one of the things I have always liked about Gabe and SI---they are not stuck in one way of doing things, and if better things are discovered, they will change them and pass that on to us.

I always carry at least two blades, one in each front pocket so that I can access them with either hand. I practice deploying them daily, and check them daily to maintain them.

Re: the Spyderco Chinook, I have one, but have gotten away from it because it is heavy, the handle is a little too large for comfortable usage as a pocket stick, and the angle of the point for usage in stabbing. It is a great and very robust knife, but I feel there are better choices.

I carry a waved Delica set up for draw into Pikal in my LF pocket, and it works very well in that role. I have used the waved Endura, but do not like it as well for that usage. It seems the blade may be just a tad too large for that, but it will work. I think a blade size in between the waved Delica and waved Endura would be about perfect.

I have a Blackhawk Be-Wharned on order, and will give it some practice time to see what I think of it. It may well become my RF pocket folder, but time will tell on that. It is a liner lock which I generally don't like, but Michael Janich says that it is very strong, recessed, and can't be accidentally released. I hope that is the case, and my older Benchmade AFCK that has the liner lock will not release accidentally. I also have the Benchmade AFCK axis-lock, but they are getting so expensive I do not want to lose mine since they are discontinued. I may have to relegate it to the safe, if the Be-Wharned lives up to what I need it for.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**