Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gabe thank you for posting this and specifically for putting it in the newsletter, I’ve plagiarized much of it already to incorporate it into my lecture material.
    :)

One other reason (other than legality) for choosing a folder over fixed blade is the ability to hold the knife in your hand, yet not present it, if you get spooked about something (e.g., walking to your car in a dark parking lot). It's a lot easier to palm a folder than a fixed blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    One other reason (other than legality) for choosing a folder over fixed blade is the ability to hold the knife in your hand, yet not present it, if you get spooked about something (e.g., walking to your car in a dark parking lot). It's a lot easier to palm a folder than a fixed blade.
    I respectfully disagree. Walking in the dark, it's simple to conceal a fixed blade in reverse grip, tucked along the arm. Especially if the blade is a black color.

One thing I try to keep in mind is the reality that in some jurisdictions it is the subjective opinion of the police officer that decides if you are carrying a deadly weapon (e.g. Maryland). With a folder you may have a better capability of fronting it off as a tool.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Quote Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
    b: Learn to sharpen your knife, and keep it that way. I see way too many people who can't sharpen their blade properly and have someone else do it for them. Most of the time, their knife is not very sharp.

Ok, at the risk of sounding inept, If can't sharpen a blade to save my life. Drives my dad crazy. I also haven't found that idiot proof method of doing so.

There, I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Ok, at the risk of sounding inept, If can't sharpen a blade to save my life. Drives my dad crazy. I also haven't found that idiot proof method of doing so.

There, I said it.
    The Spyderco Sharpmaker is almost idiot proof, and very effective.
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

IF SI was to present a knife program, the ability to sharpen would be one of the components of the program. Some knife styles and steels are easier to sharpen than others.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Yes Yes, Where do I sign.

I know this kind of class has been asked for in SLC.

+1 on the Spyderco Sharpmaker

I can't use a benchstone at all.

But that thing, easy breezy.
    My Youtube Channel

Learning self defense is a mandatory part of being a responsible adult.
    (If you don't, then you ain't.)

"In [martial arts] if you don't train with insight but just do the form, you'll never gain skill." — Masaaki Hatsumi

Islam: the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

Default Bench stone sharpening

I cut a 25 degree slot into a 2X4 just wide enough to accomodate my upright bench stone very tightly. Holding the blade vertical I just slide it downhill on the stone. Rotating the board east to west I sharpen each side a few strokes at a time. My knives from Bowie to kitchen are always razor sharp.