Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ten Points Of The Fighting Knife

We all carry them, yet few ever consider about where it sits in the scheme of things.

1). The knife is always with you, even in places where the gun cannot go.

2). It becomes the first line of weaponry when the pistol is not available by choice, policy, inaccessibility or loss.

3). If things have gotten bad enough to need the knife, the use of the knife should be aggressive, brutal and terminal, and not "defensive".

4). There is a place for using a knife against the unarmed adversary if that adversary is younger, stronger or faster than you are...or more numerous.

5). There is a place for keeping them away with your edge, but there is also a place for closing and stabbing.

6). A knife worthy of combat carry should facilitate stabbing and be simple and instictive to use.

7). The more complicated and complex a knife is, and the more elaborate its system of use, the less desirable it is.

8). Conversely, the simpler the knife and the system and more gross motor dependant it is, the better it will do in a fight.

9). A fixed blade is more desirable than a folder, but a folder may be required in some applications. If a folder is used, the lock should be robust and not technically clever.

10). Learn to be violent with your knife
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

At the risk of sounding like a "fan-boy"....

Amen Gabe!

All good points but #7 and 8 are particularly "near and dear to my heart".

John Chambers is offline Suarez International Staff Instructor - Retired
    Good stuff! I'd also add:

a: Serrated edges are for cutting rope and seat belts, not people. Those edges catch on clothing and bone. The wound from a slash will be larger with a conventional edge.

b: Learn to sharpen your knife, and keep it that way. I see way too many people who can't sharpen their blade properly and have someone else do it for them. Most of the time, their knife is not very sharp.
    "IN ORBE TERRUM NON VISI"

"LUCK FAVORS THE PREPARED"

"So I have to take my beret from my head, and put it in my heart. I'm not going to put it back on until the enemy has them by the throat. Not until I'm fighting for the Constitution of the United States of America."

To Train with John Chambers: CLICK HERE!

HRO-5: Terrorist / Active Shooter Interdiction - 1/23-24/2016

CRG-3: Advanced Gunfighting - 4/2-3/2016

RGF-3: Advanced Rifle Gunfighting - 5/21-22/2016

HRO-2: Rural Patrolling II - 10/1-2/2016

KK20 is offline Cowardly African Troll - Banned For Threats
    Quote Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
    Good stuff! I'd also add:

b: Learn to sharpen your knife, and keep it that way. I see way too many people who can't sharpen their blade properly and have someone else do it for them. Most of the time, their knife is not very sharp.
    i agree fully with you. like sending our guns to someone else to clean and routine check each time we use it because we can't do so ourself . doesnt make sense.

Great simple things to remember.
    Luke

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

Great points, and all reasons to remember our pointy friends.

It may not be sexy, but never forget that a good knife is a great tool. What one uses to work with everyday can save a life, and that familiarity only helps in a fight. Think of how a roofer might swing a hammer at your head, as an analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Chambers View Post
    ...b: Learn to sharpen your knife, and keep it that way. I see way too many people who can't sharpen their blade properly and have someone else do it for them. Most of the time, their knife is not very sharp.
    I'm normally the one that ends up sharpening knives for folks I know. And I give them a good honest effort. Sometimes I wish that they'd learn to do it themselves though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    ...It may not be sexy, but never forget that a good knife is a great tool...
    What are you talking about bro? A good knife is SEXY!!!

S.
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

"A mile-long rationalization of one's good intentions will not obscure or excuse an inch of violation." Tom Sotis

Amen, Gabe; I say this in all sincerity, with no fanboyishness, if that can be a word.
    Have Colt, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post

4). There is a place for using a knife against the unarmed adversary if that adversary is younger, stronger or faster than you are...or more numerous.
    Arthritis has driven this point home for me... Hence the reason one should not pick a fight with an old man.

Amen to all that! Have been practicing with and carrying religiously a series of 4" pocket folders that all fit the characteristics you describe (I liked the Spyderco Civilian in theory, but stopped carrying it because the non-stabbing design made it's handling very unnatural).

Over the last 20 years, rdeployment of the folder in street situations has saved me from a stabbing once, and from potentially vicious beatings by multiple opponents twice. Interesting to note that I did not have to cut or stab - presentation of the weapon and an obvious preparedness to use it stopped attackers in their tracks each time.