Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooting off thread here a but in the Zombie Apocalypse genre, I like JL Bourne's stuff--his style is enertaining but not too far off base where you go: This is absurd!! Plus, Day by Day Armageddon was set in Texas, the greatest state in the Union--cannot go wrong with that!! BTW, his new book is coming out in Sept.

I have about 50 pages left in the book. It is thought provoking.

I finished the book Wed morning after starting at 10pm Tue, big mistake, never slept.

I did some studying on the Faraday box, a decent test to see if your box works is to place your cell phone in the box, and call it, if it rings you're not protected (I have yet to try this, I'll post my results when I get it done).

A metal ammo can with the seal removed and a "bead" of aluminum foil in its place, and then lining the entire can with an insulator is supposed to work.

I read One Second After and it was GREAT. Great story, good insight on what to expect, a few teary parts about rape, dead kids and good men. All in all HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Couldn't put it down.

I read Patriots and it was crap, drivel, garbage. Ill give it way to someone I dont like. Seemed like it was written by a failed Army NCO who was simply trying to impress with his limited knowledge. Jumped around a lot, poorly written. A bit hard to follow, dragged on. I felt forced to finish it....but I did.

I will check out Lucifer's Hammer. Its next on my list.
    Last edited by Fulanito; 04-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

Problem with using a pump to get fuel out of storage tanks would be whoever is waiting for you to fill up. Once you're done they got a fueled vehicle, your pump, and whatever you got aboard.

In other words.....in zombie apocolypse time, if you go to the gas station, bring along some extra eyes and trigger fingers.
    This is a rant. This is only a rant. The opinions expressed by the author may be hazardous to your health, especially if repeated in public to brain dead idiots. You may now return to regularly scheduled activity.

"to secure peace is, to prepare for war." (Metallica, Don't Tread On Me)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

I'm a work in progress.
    Amateur "swinger" and Convict Conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by fgrimm View Post
    I read One Second After and it was GREAT. Great story, good insight on what to expect, a few teary parts about rape, dead kids and good men. All in all HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Couldn't put it down.

I read Patriots and it was crap, drivel, garbage. Ill give it way to someone I dont like. Seemed like it was written by a failed Army NCO who was simply trying to impress with his limited knowledge. Jumped around a lot, poorly written. A bit hard to follow, dragged on. I felt forced to finish it....but I did.

I will check out Lucifer's Hammer. Its next on my list.

I thought he states he was an Officer and got out when Slick Willy got elected. For all the flaws the novel has, I can not bad mouth it. It is really what got me started.

Someone gave Dad it as a Word document back when Win 95 was all the rage. It was on 4 floppy disks and I still remember the 1st time I saw it in print.

I'm not real sure if you can find the link anymore but it might be achieved somewhere but Halffast's Light's Out is a good read. Last report from him was he got a book deal and was putting the final touches on it. He has a few survival SHTF stories on ARFCOM and Frugal Squirrel.

I've read this book not once but twice, and plan on reading it again in the future.
    Very well written.

Had forgotten about Lucifer's Hammer. After I finish Ferfal's book it is definitely next on my list too.

S.
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

"A mile-long rationalization of one's good intentions will not obscure or excuse an inch of violation." Tom Sotis

rikkitikkitavi Guest
    I read this a few months back, it did make me add the following to my preps.

French Fusil 62cal smoothbore flintlock
    .590 Ball mold
    two doz flints
    200 roundball
    Patches

1851 colt navy
    ball mold
    1000 caps

powder and accessories for both...

Spiffy,
    I don't recall if the guy who wrote Patiot was a former O or NCO, but distinctly remember that was choppy and poorly written. kind of had an Army manual feel to it. Each to his own. Perhaps someone else might like it. I just did not like it in the least. In fact, I ended up just skipping paragraphs here and there to get it over and done with.

One Second After, on the other hand was great.
    If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

The book made me fidn out that there IS diabetic meds that will "keep" (The fate of the girl really got to me....Iahve a daughter...)
    Also, finding out on my own what FARADAY CAGES are, and how a metal toolbox, old refridgerator, or filing cabinet just might be a pretty good one.
    My faith in "old-school" internal compustion technology was re-enforced.
    By the way, alcohol-blend fuel eats rubber fuel lines, sinks carb floats, pin-hole leaks floatbowls and fuel pumps, AND DOES NOT STORE WELL AT ALL>
    Try to get straight gasoline,
    Find it at: http://pure-gas.org/

If you think I ma BSing about ethanol fuel, try www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com for info. and solutions to older vehicle problems (6 volt alternator, anyone! ;-)
    So, not only was it a good story, it has inspired me liek very few books or movies ever have done, to LEARN....

Davo