Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Republic of Texas, 'tween the Brazos & Trinity Rivers
    Good point bonehedz, and kudos to you for having an off-grid option. Folks outside the big cities will survive better than most no matter what SHTF comes our way. Are you subleasing? ;) Vacation rentals?
    You “...may go to hell and I will go to Texas.” Davy Crockett (1835)

Democracy is essentially one big organized act of bullying whereby a larger group bullies a smaller group in order to plunder it with taxes.

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves" - Viktor Frankl (Nazi death camp survivor)

Quote Originally Posted by GoCodeBravo View Post
    Good point bonehedz, and kudos to you for having an off-grid option. Folks outside the big cities will survive better than most no matter what SHTF comes our way. Are you subleasing? ;) Vacation rentals?
    Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on perspective), no...however, If Komrads Obama and Biden get re-elected, I may be moving South of the Border, if a border still exists, that is...somewhere south of Costa Rica, and en las montanas...
    Last edited by bonehedz; 07-30-2009 at 09:35 PM.

"Wise is the man, who in quiet times, keeps his knives sharp and at hand."- Lao Tzu

He who owns little is little owned...

Dear Lord, When I die, please don't let the missus sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them...

‎"Hakkaa päälle!"

Republic of Texas, 'tween the Brazos & Trinity Rivers
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCodeBravo View Post
    Just added it to my library "hold" list. 32 people in line in front of me. Mmmm....wonder how many might be WT'ers?
    Without regard to the scientific accuracy of the EMP threat, I'd say this book is well done. I'm no novel reader most of the time, but as I'm 60% of the way through it this week, it's a page turner! The fact that it had a "reality based" feel to, is even more enticing. The thoughts, deeds and words of the main characters seem very plausible, as well as the challenges they face. It does inspire one to review some of the other preparations for a "rainy day" far beyond mere weaponry and stores of dry goods.
    You “...may go to hell and I will go to Texas.” Davy Crockett (1835)

Democracy is essentially one big organized act of bullying whereby a larger group bullies a smaller group in order to plunder it with taxes.

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves" - Viktor Frankl (Nazi death camp survivor)

read it and cannot say read this book enough.

I read the book in 2 days. It definitely made me think about some things that I hadn't considered. Namely, long term food availability on a year-around basis.

I think the EMP threat is WAY overstated. I think that anything connected to the power grid or to any long wires (HAM radio) will be fried, but plenty of evidence exists that less than 10% of vehicles would be disabled.

See the EMP commission report page 115.
    http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

Automobiles
    The potential EMP vulnerability of automobiles derives from the use of built-in electronics
    that support multiple automotive functions. Electronic components were first
    introduced into automobiles in the late 1960s. As time passed and electronics technologies
    evolved, electronic applications in automobiles proliferated. Modern automobiles
    have as many as 100 microprocessors that control virtually all functions. While electronic
    applications have proliferated within automobiles, so too have application standards and
    electromagnetic interference and electromagnetic compatibility (EMI/EMC) practices.
    Thus, while it might be expected that increased EMP vulnerability would accompany the
    proliferated electronics applications, this trend, at least in part, is mitigated by the
    increased application of EMI/EMC practices.
    We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages
    ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive
    electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The
    testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially
    increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent)
    was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous
    response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the
    simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).
    Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and
    engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles
    that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running
    automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately
    30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a
    stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile
    were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five
    automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g.,
    blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the
    37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.
    Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below
    25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field
    levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver
    intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the
    road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions
    could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could
    exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered
    crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent
    loss of life, and multiple injuries.
    What I found interesting in the report was that traffic lights would most likely be disabled by EMP. I think that would be a tougher long-term problem than the few vehicles disabled especially in urban areas.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
    - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Ordered the book in to my library and picked it up Monday night. Started reading after my wife went to bed. Finished it at around 5am. I was tired at work on Tuesday.

I was pleased with the book. It has been probably ten years since I read any fiction, and it was a decent reintroduction to the genre. It really brings into focus the importance of "oldschool skills" in the event of a long-term social/economic/technological collapse. Perhaps we should be spending more money on seeds and supplies to build improvised greenhouses than on fancy shootin' gear? Food for thought, anyway.

In any case, I think it is an engaging read that would be ideal for putting a human face on the need to prepare for disruptions in the life we're familiar with. Definitely something that the Sheep could enjoy reading and could take some good lessons from.

My wife might read it, and might even see about nominating it for her book club to read. And maybe her reading will soften her up to letting me get an old, pre-computers Jeep or pickup truck to play with...I can hope.

I read One Second After last week and REALLY enjoyed it. It was a definite page turner! A MUST READ for anyone who is concerned about the future of our "once great" Nation.

Confession: more than once, during the book, this old 6'6", 250 lb., former Marine found tears running down his cheeks! Very seldom does a book "get to me" like that. I do profess an undying love for children and dogs, and I can't bear to see anything bad happen to them.

Perhaps we should be spending more money on seeds and supplies to build improvised greenhouses than on fancy shootin' gear?
    I've been thinking this too. I just let a sheep family member read it, and he says he understands me a lot better now. He even wants to buy a gun now. And I always get this line since I was a teenager, "In the event of <whatever disaster>, I'm coming to your house." I just think good luck with that one.

I got a hard back copy at Barnes & Noble off the blow out shelf for $5.95 Tuesday. Just getting started on it. I kind of figured it would be a newer take on Alas Babylon.

Read it in two days myself, and my wife read it right behind me. It prompted her to ask all the "so...what if" questions. There were definately some things in there that I hadn't considered.