Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I read the book and I too was impressed how easily an EMP burst could take us back to life before electricity in one second.
    I imagine 85% of Americans would have no clue as to how to live without lights, refrigerators, cars, fast-food joints and grocery stores. Its a recipe for anarchy in 2 days time considering grocery stores have only 3 days food at any given time!
    The cities with high population to low food production ratios mean a rapid death to to riots then a die-off due to no food for the survivors.
    GET THE BOOK!

Anyone know how to build a Faraday cage? Would an ammo can lined with a cardboard box and grounded on the outside work? How about a safe when it's grounded?

Never heard of this EMP before, but am adding it to my arsenal of things to be prepared for. Ordering my copy of the book today.

Quote Originally Posted by MDgasman View Post
    Anyone know how to build a Faraday cage?
    A Google search will produce more information than you will know how to handle. There is tons of info around about this, including the fact that there are existing objects that serve as natural Faraday cages -- elevators, microwave ovens, and concrete structures reinforced with rebar.

You'll also find lots of disagreement about how much of a threat EMP really is, and much disagreement about how vulnerable we are to an EMP attack. Forstchen's book examines one possibility, but there are experienced scientists who disagree with him. No one really knows for sure. My advice: Read widely and draw your own conclusions.

Cheers,
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by David Roberson View Post
    You'll also find lots of disagreement about how much of a threat EMP really is, and much disagreement about how vulnerable we are to an EMP attack. Forstchen's book examines one possibility, but there are experienced scientists who disagree with him. No one really knows for sure. My advice: Read widely and draw your own conclusions.
    If you're interested in some of the only scientific studies on EMP events, Google "Starfish Prime"...the US military did an EMP test blast in 1962. Most of the info has been declassified. IMNHO, a well coordinated EMP would be about the most miserable thing that could happen to this country, short of an all-in nuclear attack by Russia or Red China...the info is there, YMMV...BH

"Wise is the man, who in quiet times, keeps his knives sharp and at hand."- Lao Tzu

He who owns little is little owned...

Dear Lord, When I die, please don't let the missus sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them...

‎"Hakkaa päälle!"

Quote Originally Posted by edmondsonpr View Post
    I read the book and I too was impressed how easily an EMP burst could take us back to life before electricity in one second.
    I think the threat is *greatly* overstated...

And I...have a degree...in science. :-)
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam

Republic of Texas, 'tween the Brazos & Trinity Rivers
    Just added it to my library "hold" list. 32 people in line in front of me. Mmmm....wonder how many might be WT'ers?
    You “...may go to hell and I will go to Texas.” Davy Crockett (1835)

Democracy is essentially one big organized act of bullying whereby a larger group bullies a smaller group in order to plunder it with taxes.

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves" - Viktor Frankl (Nazi death camp survivor)

I need to order this one , Just finished the new expanded book of Patriot, I liked the new additions to the story. Just picked up Mathew Brackens 3rd book enemies and traitors.

Add to that our dependency on computers.
    I have a good friend that does computer security work for a major phone and cable company. He tells me that virtually everday someone, either foreign or domestic, is attempting to hack and disrupt their systems. We have had the discussion many times about the threat of Cyber-terrorism and how easily is could disrupt the entire grid.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think the threat is *greatly* overstated...

And I...have a degree...in science. :-)
    Apparently the USAF does not share you optimistic opinion, as all military aircraft have been EMP-proofed/hardened since the early '60s, albeit from battlefield EMP as well as specific attack. Much of the debunkers information comes from the observations made during ground tests of H-Bombs (fusion). A "regular" nuke (fission) produce a lesser E1 event (direct gamma rays) but a hugely greater E3 event (a slower atmospheric reaction with airburst radiation). And, as an EMP is LOS event, a groundburst is limited to about a nine mile radius from dead center, due to the curvature of the Earth. And no, I'm not a scientist, and I don't have a degree in science...I DO have an engineering degree, which means I have the ability to wade through mountains of data and gobbledy gook and see trends that lies beneath. Would an EMP attack be as bad as "One Second After" ? In all likelyhood, no...would it be bad? How bad was it when the power went out the last time where you live?...in Los Angeles?...New York? Now, multiply that by every major urban center in the entire continental US...oh, and leave the lights out for, say, six or seven months...it would be bad...REAL bad...But read what you can, and make up your own minds. Me? I have a place off the grid, with double redundancies for all power generation.

"Wise is the man, who in quiet times, keeps his knives sharp and at hand."- Lao Tzu

He who owns little is little owned...

Dear Lord, When I die, please don't let the missus sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them...

‎"Hakkaa päälle!"