Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhicks View Post
    DAG!

I forgot the most important thing: iodine tablets!!

If you're going to be drinking water out of ponds, etc. you've got to put iodine tablets in each canteen or you can suffer all kinds of nasty parasites.
    Iodine crystals are also available and a small amount will treat thousands of gallons of water.
    Two or more items I would take are the large size garbage sacks.
    They can be used several ways, stuff them with leaves or pine needles and you have a blanket. Put snow in them, leave in the sun and you can melt snow for water without a fire to sterilize it.
    You can also use them as a rain poncho, or two can be used to cover your head torso and legs, step into the bottom sack and pull up to your arm pits, the second one goes over your head.

I went through USAF SERE about years ago, and most of the above advice still applies.

One thing that was emphasized to me is that in typical SERE situations, the aircrew members historically only have what is on their person. They rarely have the opportunity, presence of mind, or strength to grab and carry their go-bag along for the ride. Intelligent forethought in what is in one's flight suit and survival vest was the imperative. That stuff should have multiple uses (yet some redundancy, if possible), lack shine, be durable, be light, and be enough for a couple days of survival.

As for the resistance and escape portion of it, we generally aren't packing specific equipment for that possibility. If you eject/crash/whatever and get captured, you're going to be stripped of your stuff. Odds are not good that stashing knives or handcuff keys or whatever are going to get you anywhere. Resistance becomes a mental and psychological challenge, which is taught extensively in training.
    Last edited by kahvey; 05-01-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: felt like it

kahvey,

"fast, neat, average...."

wouldn't mean anything to you, would it?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by jhicks View Post
    kahvey,

"fast, neat, average...."

wouldn't mean anything to you, would it?
    Ha! I know what you're talking about because I am by necessity required to work with Zoo alumni :D

You go to the zoo?
    Last edited by kahvey; 05-01-2010 at 06:45 AM.

86-90 Zoomie:D
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill

Check out the MTM Survivor Dry Box. It has a compass on one side and a signal mirror on the other.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...r_dry_box.html

Perfect for your pocket kit.

Maddog6 ut!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog6 View Post
    Check out the MTM Survivor Dry Box. It has a compass on one side and a signal mirror on the other.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...r_dry_box.html

Perfect for your pocket kit.

Maddog6 ut!

FWIW, I'm partial to the idea of having your stuff dispersed somewhat around your person (primary) and your pack/bag (secondary). The above product sounds great, but it's just one bulky thing to lose or be left behind, and with it everything you've got. It's great to have a single kit with everything, but it sure is nice to have the basics (firestarter, compass, chart, mirror, knife) amongst your pockets and unlikely to disappear. Further, dedicated items are generally much better. I would hate to try doing land nav walking around with that goofy orange box in front of me instead of a proper lensatic compass. I know the box's compass should not be your primary anyway, but I wonder how many people would neglect to take one because it's 'preinstalled'. Likewise, the basic view-thru signal mirror is a must. Using a box-mount doesn't strike me as all that accurate to hail an airplane. Not that I've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Iodine crystals are also available and a small amount will treat thousands of gallons of water.
    Two or more items I would take are the large size garbage sacks.
    They can be used several ways, stuff them with leaves or pine needles and you have a blanket. Put snow in them, leave in the sun and you can melt snow for water without a fire to sterilize it.
    You can also use them as a rain poncho, or two can be used to cover your head torso and legs, step into the bottom sack and pull up to your arm pits, the second one goes over your head.

MM, what is the ratio of iodine crystals to water?

Can you stretch the use crystals farther than the tablets?

I have to say there is alot of good advice on different packing lists on here. But from my experience as a Nov/Dec last year US Army SERE school school graduate I learned some interesting things...

1st off when you realize that your in a "EE" situation you are usually in way deeper than you know to begin with. We went with nothing pretty much and I realized just how much stuff you take for granted every day that's laying around and can be used. So really do I need to waste my calories by carrying everything I can imagine needing with me? Not really.

Secondly it's not about gear...It's about your MIND. 99% of Survival is what you put your mind on. I know I had several buddies that fell out of my class who were "SICK" and yet some of us had the flu and even diarrea...yet finished the course. I can say it was prob one of the hardest things I've ever done!

My best advice is to learn all you can about the things you can use to improvise. You can make weapons, cooking utensils, traps...it's limited by your imagination only! So just go out and figure out what you can do without and what it is that you just really can't go without for yourself. It really does me no good to carry a tent just because you might think it's a good idea...This is were being an individual comes in!

Quote Originally Posted by kahvey View Post
    FWIW, I'm partial to the idea of having your stuff dispersed somewhat around your person (primary) and your pack/bag (secondary). The above product sounds great, but it's just one bulky thing to lose or be left behind, and with it everything you've got. It's great to have a single kit with everything, but it sure is nice to have the basics (firestarter, compass, chart, mirror, knife) amongst your pockets and unlikely to disappear. Further, dedicated items are generally much better. I would hate to try doing land nav walking around with that goofy orange box in front of me instead of a proper lensatic compass. I know the box's compass should not be your primary anyway, but I wonder how many people would neglect to take one because it's 'preinstalled'. Likewise, the basic view-thru signal mirror is a must. Using a box-mount doesn't strike me as all that accurate to hail an airplane. Not that I've tried it.
    I saw these at Sportsman's Warehouse and they are larger than they look. They seem to be good for something like a boat or ATV. You could easily put a small handgun in one. Definitely not a pocket.

Maddog6 ut!