Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Cover Garments: Opinions

The "photographer" type vest seem to be gaining in popularity, at least from a marketing standpoint. The 5.11 series and those now from Sigarms to be specific. I've carried for 16 years now and I've always used the "slightly oversized untucked shirt method" and I've always carried mid to full size semi-autos. However, I do see some untility in these vests. I'd like your opinions as to if you think these things "screem gun" and compromise anonymity as an armed citizen.

For those in the know its like wearing a neon sign saying "Gun here!"

I would avoid them at all costs, except for on the range. Anyone in the know is immediately aware that you are probably packing, and that' s not a good thing. In the summer, I like the "Hawaiian" or camp-type shirts. In the colder months, almost anything will suffice.
    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Whether a vest screams "gun" is largely a matter of where you live and how common concealed carry is in the area. I live in New England where concealed carry is rare. Because it is rare, the people do not expect you to carry and do not see a gun even if you are carrying and printing very badly.
    Last edited by Jim Conway; 12-17-2004 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo

I think it depends on where you live. Here vest and western wear are not that suspious. I have worn vests (not usually the photog vests) for years. Recently I certified a friend for his CCW and as we were talking he stated he had never realized that I was carrying. But then with cowboy boots, jeans, etc. the vest doesn't look out of place.
    " A man to continue breathing, must be alert at all times. If not someone, sometime ... will sneak up behind him and beat him to death with a sockful of shit."
    General George S. Patton Jr.

Semper Fi

Yea, they say "I'm carrying a gun" to me as well. Hehe-I even once saw a couple actually wearing matching ( and pressed) hats and 5.11 vests-not very normal wear around these parts :p (I'm sure they made it home safe which is what counts, but that was the first time I was exposed to the previously-unknown-to-me CCW fashion statement folks.)

It would be nice to live in an area like RMF does were vests are commonly worn. I get by though, having developed an affinity for square-bottom shirts worn on top of a wife beater that hide my IWB/1911 well and look like "normal" clothes-even in church.

My wife is getting me one of the Wilderness Tactical man purse/holsters that can be worn via a strap like a Deforest Kelly Tricorder, carried by itself looking like a small day planner, attached to your side ala a standard waist pack, or attached to your (worn) seatbelt by your waist while driving. I suspect that the versatility of this little thing will change the way (and times) I carry more than any other piece of gear I've used. We'll see. http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pro...products_id/18

One vest that looks interesting is the one offered by Smith and Alexander-none of this dozens of pockets that say 5.11, but rather a simple cotton vest in colors. The price is right, but thier site offers only a small pic of it. Anyone seen those in person?

Chris
    Last edited by Crucible; 12-17-2004 at 12:40 PM.

I don't see the vests much here in NM - generally on actual tourists. I think you can tell by looking at the individual whether he's the type to be carrying or not, but - hey, more power to him if he is.

I've always felt that other cover garments (sweatshirts, hawaiian shirts, guayaberas, oversized overshirts, etc.) look less unusual than the photojournalist vests, so they blend in better.

Thanks for all of the feedback. As I'm sure you all could tell by the wording of my thread, I lean toward the "Screems Gun" school of thought. But I did not consider the regional variations in dress, so for those of you who pointed it out, thanks. I live in Alabama where conceled carry is quite common and many folks are at least a little gun litterate. I've been seeing these things more & more in public. Although I wouldn't say they are common place just yet. When I see one I think "GUN". I hate following fashon trends so that alone is reason enough for me not to wear one. I'll be sticking with my old reliable methods of concealment for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible
    One vest that looks interesting is the one offered by Smith and Alexander-none of this dozens of pockets that say 5.11, but rather a simple cotton vest in colors. The price is right, but thier site offers only a small pic of it. Anyone seen those in person?

I wear them sometimes in warm weather. They do a good job as they are built longer specificly for carry. They are better than photog vests but would still say "gun" to people who would know. However, Most people are not aware of CCW let alone of what might be used to cover.

Fleese vests are great for winter - they are worn by skiers and lots of people here in the winter and cooler weather. They are light weight and usually long enough for even OWB carry.
    " A man to continue breathing, must be alert at all times. If not someone, sometime ... will sneak up behind him and beat him to death with a sockful of shit."
    General George S. Patton Jr.

Semper Fi

We have an advantage here in Colorado. So many of the Liberals in the People's Republik of Boulder wear vests that they are commonly called "Boulder Jackets." You know, "The Liberals in Boulder are so dumb, they move to cold country and then cut the sleeves off their jackets."

So vests are quite common, and on one notices them, at least nine months out of the year. All you have to do is get one long enough to cover your handgun. Front hand-warmer pockets are nice. A spare mag carried in each front hand-warmer pocket keeps the vest from flapping in the breeze, and makes it easy to "flip" the vest clear to draw.

And the sheep think you are one of them. So do the bad guys (think you are one of the sheep)!

Just about any kind of a vest other than the "shoot-me-first" photo journalist or Royal Robbins is good cover.