Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Kel- tec Sub2k

Default Kel- tec Sub2k

I've had my sub-2k for a few years now, and although it is a niche weapon, it can do things no other rifle can. Reliable, my wife shoots it well, simple, mag and ammo interchangeability, very affordable, etc. One of the few guns I won't sell.

Gabe and other instructors, from what you have seen in classes, how has the sub-2k held up? For that matter, how has the SU-16 held up in carbine classes? Obviously not usable as an impact weapon, but otherwise?

An AK it is not, but I'm curious on how they have endured a class.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncstevens View Post
    Gabe and other instructors, from what you have seen in classes, how has the sub-2k held up? For that matter, how has the SU-16 held up in carbine classes? Obviously not usable as an impact weapon, but otherwise?
    An acquaintance of mine had a SU 16.

The barrel didn't hold up well to her volume of shooting--she shot the barrel out in a fairly short time, but she shot several thousand rounds through it.

From the few people I know who have them, they're fine "trunk guns", but not the most robust combat rifles out there.

I have no idea about the Sub-2k, but would be interested to hear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    An acquaintance of mine had a SU 16.

The barrel didn't hold up well to her volume of shooting--she shot the barrel out in a fairly short time, but she shot several thousand rounds through it.

From the few people I know who have them, they're fine "trunk guns", but not the most robust combat rifles out there.

I have no idea about the Sub-2k, but would be interested to hear as well.
    I used to have an SU-16 Charlie, and I just got a Glock-compatible Sub 2000 9mm. The SU was a handy rifle, but the S2K seems to be about ten times as sturdy. The fixed forend, beefier Zytel overmolding on the receiver and grip frame, and the stout buffer tube are a lot more confidence-inspiring. Sure, it's not a TEOTWAWKI battle rifle, but for a take-along SHTF pistol-caliber carbine that can be with you when no other long gun -- not even your AK folder -- can be, I think it will serve admirably.
    -- Lil' C

For what it is, it is a VERY sound weapon. It is not an AK or a FAL, but it WILL allow farther and more accurate shots, as well as repeated hits than a handgun in the same hands.

The SU16 has not held up well, I think in part, to the pressures of the 223. But the 9mm has worked fine. As we begin the push for the SMG Training, I think we will see alot of these handy little carbines.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncstevens View Post
    I've had my sub-2k for a few years now, and although it is a niche weapon, it can do things no other rifle can. Reliable, my wife shoots it well, simple, mag and ammo interchangeability, very affordable, etc. One of the few guns I won't sell.

An AK it is not, but I'm curious on how they have endured a class.
    :D
    I took a PCC course from another trainer last year - excellent course. Of the 10 students, there were two Beretta Storms, 1 9mm AR, and 7 Kel-Tecs (2 Sub-9, 5 Sub-2000s).

The front sight on the Kel-Tec is a piece of shit. I don't remember if all of them failed during the class, but most did. (This was a 1500 round 2-day class.) Other than that (which can be fixed by the Blue Force Gear replacement front sight), the guns hold up fine. There were a couple of loose bolts on the Sub-9s, but a little loc-tite fixed that. The Beretta Storms worked fine as well.

This class covered techniques for removing the Kel-Tec from a discreet bag, unfolding it, and engaging. The instructor used to be with DSS when they used Uzis and carried them in discreet bags in Latin America, so the techniques were proven (with the unfolding of the Kel-Tec substituting for the stock extension on the Uzi.)

The class made me substitute a Kel-Tec for the AMD-65 that I used to carry in a particular regularly visited, indoor, 150-yard-shot-possible NPE.

I have a SU-16 that I used to carry in my car (replaced with AK in discreet bag.) I still carry it when I am forced to go to California as it is the A model which is CA-legal (I even own 3 10-round AR mags just for that.) It is way better than nothing - it is also better than a Mini-14, but not by much. I would not want to put money on my SU-16 surviving a 1500-round carbine class.

On Kel-Tec's website, am seeing a price of 406 bucks. Is the going rate for the Sub-2000, Glock versions ? Would it fit in a laptop case ? Hmmnnn.. steve b

Yes, it does fit in a laptop case. ;)
    We have to go in places no body would ever think of going into were it not for the necessities of war. ~ Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war. ~ Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by steve b View Post
    On Kel-Tec's website, am seeing a price of 406 bucks. Is the going rate for the Sub-2000, Glock versions ? Would it fit in a laptop case ? Hmmnnn.. steve b
    Street price for the Sub2k ranges from about $299 to $349, but availability is the problem; they sell out fast.
    I think I paid $315 NIB.

Unless one is heavily invested in G19 mags, be sure to consider the G17 mag compatible version first. The grip is way too short on the G19 version, it's far shorter than a G26. The carbine grip feels different from a Glock pistol grip. As usual, YMMV on subjective matters like fit.

I'm exploring options to cushion the buffer tube against my face.
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

Too bad an offset red dot on this won't work well. I just keep coming back to this rifle. It is amazing where it will fit

Check out this DIY solution for a Sub2K scope mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxeKzpK9OgI
    "No plan survives contact with the 82nd Airborne Division."
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"