Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go To Vest

Default Go To Vest

As things are heating up the idea of a SHTF moment looms ever closer to reality. If something does happen, looking like a paramilitary commando might not be the “Grey/Stealthy” thing to do. Nobody wants a shoot me first sign painted on their back. Yes if it gets real bad and the rifles come out, a don't even think of messing with me look might be useful if you can keep track of all the bad guys or there are enough of you to make a point.

A few years ago a company came out with a wearable pack-vest that most of your stuff could go into instead of a conventional backpack. The idea was that you could wear something more compact, unobtrusive and a layer. It dawns on me that a goto vest might have it's uses. In it you would have room for you Glock, spare ammo and magazines, knife, first aid kit, fire starter kit, space blanket, food concentrate, etc. Something that could be worn under your jacket and not print through. You could hang it in a closet and nobody would know what it was without close examination. This is not a direct replacement for a goto bag, but something that looks common place and not the high readiness kit it is.

My reasoning in this is a serious compact self contained survival kit with room for other necessities the warrior might need.

To blend in just us a day pack. Most school kids today carry something similar. Many adults also carry one. It would not attract any unusual looks unless it looks super tactical.

Warhawk
    Don't fear the night; fear what hunts at night

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    To blend in just us a day pack. Most school kids today carry something similar. Many adults also carry one. It would not attract any unusual looks unless it looks super tactical.

Warhawk
    You're right, I was looking at airforce survival vest and wanted something that had all that capability but with a civilian look. I was hoping someone knew of a manufacturer. I think in the end you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by fidalgoman View Post
    You're right, I was looking at airforce survival vest and wanted something that had all that capability but with a civilian look. I was hoping someone knew of a manufacturer. I think in the end you're right.
    Just observe whatever the tourist yuppies are carrying around this year, then order it up from REI. Instant Pacific NW Camo.

:-)

Or one could simply get a Sneaky Bag :)

C-

I want to get a sneaky bag in an urban camo color...ie, blue or grey.

Gabe; How about an urban color?
    There are two jobs in the military, infantry and those units who support the infantry.

"Follow me!"

Scottvests and jackets might do what you want. They are designed for electronic gear, but the many pockets and other features would hide a bunch of stuff. See them at http://www.scottevest.com/.

John W in SC

Man John, Thanks...those Scott clothes are cool! I need some of that gear. Now that is urban camo.
    There are two jobs in the military, infantry and those units who support the infantry.

"Follow me!"

Supposing someone already had a vest (say, a Camelbak Delta 5) which they wanted to outfit, what would be the suggestions.

Recommendations on mag pouches? Med pouch? Admin pouch? Whatever else pouch?

Single layer/shingles for mags; everything else would have to go into a shallow (1.5" or less) pocket/pouch (Maxpedition Tactiles or Emdom USA Utili-shingles, as example), or be carried in/on a shoulder bag or day pack. Anything deeper will print badly through even heavy clothing.
    Keep med kits/VOK in your man-purse/bag, along with minimalist bug-out goods, and you'll be GTG, low-pro for cooler weather. Any kind of vest becomes VERY hot in hot weather, and if you plan to cover one up:o,well, good on you mate...sweating my Jacobs off has never been my bag:D. FWIW, BH

"Wise is the man, who in quiet times, keeps his knives sharp and at hand."- Lao Tzu

He who owns little is little owned...

Dear Lord, When I die, please don't let the missus sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them...

‎"Hakkaa päälle!"