Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Pens

Default Steel Pens

A while back, in the below thread, there was a discussion of a steel pen as an IW. Did anyone ever come up with a good one?

Got to fly over Thanksgiving to visit in-laws. :(

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ght=carry+pens
    Strength & Honor

Check out Mazzoulli pens, the threaded style looks sturdy.
    http://www.theinkflow.com/thread_clip.htm

I've got a good one, but I have no idea who makes it. Bought it at a Christian book store for about 8.00. There are many available that will work, just go to an office supply store and check them out, and they need not be expensive. As long as it is heavy duty, pointed on the end and flat on top for thumb placement, you're good to go.
    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

We (ShivWorks) have one in the design process right now. It's gonna' be aluminum or Ti.

Neat!

In the meantime, Gecko, check out the German Rotring brand. You can get them at Office Max/Depo/Warehouse. They feature heavy barrels and solid construction, and they look pretty sharp, too. IIRC, mine (a capped rollerball that looks perfectly acceptable for a lawyer to use) ran around $50 - it gets complimented by everyone who borrows it or sees me use it. They have less pricey models that are equally solid, but don't look so flash.

Here's mine (although the middle of the barrel of mine is brushed chrome, and much nicer looking than this one): http://www.hotpens.com/rotin47rolpe.html
    I wish they showed it with the cap off, because there's a very nice dulled point on the other end of the pen - very handy for kubota-type work.

(And get a cane!)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc
    We (ShivWorks) have one in the design process right now. It's gonna' be aluminum or Ti.
    Great! Please keep us update--I'm always on the lookout for good equipment.
    **Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc
    It will be black with the word TACTICAL PEN on it won't it?

HA! :D

No actually Mark we're just doing a couple of things specifically for translating reverse grip knife work into the design. Placement of the pocket clip, tapering...that kind of stuff. There might even be an LED in the end to make it "happy". ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich
    Here's mine (although the middle of the barrel of mine is brushed chrome, and much nicer looking than this one): http://www.hotpens.com/rotin47rolpe.html
    I like the sort of Coke Bottle shape to that. The swell in the middle and narrow areas look like they would help to keep a solid grip.

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Inexpensive is good, but I don't mind paying a bit for good materials, style, and finishing (not to mention good design!).

My one request would be that the design not be such that you need to thumb-cap. Optional, okay, but not required. I've played with the (very expensive) Lightfight Ti pen, and thumb capping is definitely required. The cap is needed to secure the grip, but the cap is only loosely friction-fit on the pen, so will fall right off without a thumb cap.