Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How did you become a Christian warrior?

After reading the thread on pacifism, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great to share how we came to be Christians with a warrior heart? If this has been done before, I haven't seen it. With some attention to PERSEC, here goes:

I was raised Catholic. My mom was Catholic and my Dad was Lutheran. Back in the day, the RC church required my Dad to sign papers before he could marry my Mom that he would support my Mom in raising us Catholic. That said, I attended an all male Catholic HS. While there, I became convinced that there was no God. Later, in my senior year, I had a conversion experience in a series of events, one of which was almost freezing to death. The same friends who led me to the Lord(Christian,Non Denom, as my dog tags would later read) would later challenge me to become a conscientous objector.

Following HS, I enlisted in the USN, and after a year found myself as a Plebe at the US Naval Academy. I was active in Navigators, but during Plebe boxing, actually sparring with a guy, was invited to visit a church in town that was to become my home church in Annapolis. While on liberty, I visited the folks who had led me to the Lord, who were attending U of Maryland and a church in College Park. Their church had just had a teaching on what it meant to be a Conscientous Objector. They had decided that was what God wanted for them to be. I went back to Annapolis with a huge burden. I had allready decided to become a Marine, but was now struggling with whether I should abandon that path and become a CO. I went to one of the elders of my church, and asked him what he thought. I was now deciding whether to become a CO and give up my chance at an education and a career as a Marine. His advice was just what I needed to here at this point in my life. He told me that I was now a man, and that I would have to hear God for myself.

I went back to the hall, opened my Bible, began to pray, fast and seek God. Within three days, I had my answer, I stayed at Navy and was commissioned as Marine three years later. I visited with my CO friends even as attended Basic School and Infantry Officers Course at Quantico. When I returned from Beirut/Grenada, they were very concerned for me. The concern was that I would not be able to build the temple with blood on my hands. They are still my friend, and we occasionally communicate. I have four kids and a wife, we shoot as family, have a heavy bag in the garage and the kids take Tae Kwon Do. My friends have always been respectful of LE and the military and seem to have mellowed on their pacifistic position over the years.

With whats going on in Iraq/Afghanistan, I run into people all the time, who are concerned for their boys being drafted and having to fight. I always point out to them that there are worse things than dying for your country, like being murdered or watching the ones you love suffer, because you are unwilling to protect them.

S/F
    Redman

Good story Redman. It reminded me of this: Luke 3:14 Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay."

I grew up thinking Christians were required to go through some kind of pussification ritual upon salvation. Where they had to learn to act weird, talk in King James English, and dress funny. At 20 years of age I found myself in a strange place. I became a Christian but didn't like Christian people. Most of them seemed out of touch with reality.

At the time I was an EMT with a local Sheriff's dept. (1989) one night I wrestled with the Lord for what seemed like hours. The session ended with me giving up and telling Him that I would do anything he wanted me to do...... "but please don't make me a preacher, I want to be a warrior". I had no idea what that would entail or even what I was really saying but it was a memorable and life changing experience.

I desperately wanted to go into full-time ministry but that's not where the Lord led me over the next several years. I eventually became an infantry soldier, police officer, and LEO instructor. There were many bumps in the road, and it was hard at times trying to love God with my whole being and live in the real world (the part most people don't see - the blood, tears and fecal matter associated with 2am call-outs.) I made many mistakes but through it all I grew in grace and knowledge of who God is.

Looking back, some of the best warriors I've met were unassuming preacher types who stood firm in the faith. They were honest, unpretentious and humble men. Being around them was like being around the Lord himself. I'd like to be like them someday.

-mkirk

I always knew I was a little different than the other folks at church and my association with Gabe over the last couple years has firmly established the warrior with a servant's heart.

Jack
    "Most people find change in their dryer, I find bullets"- My wife

I will remember that if the monsterous creature is within clubbing range, it is a tight situation, and start clubbing. This is true even if my firearm still works. No reason not to club and shoot at the same time.

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

I've been a warrior for a long time. Its been my only continual interest since childhood.

I became a Christian warrior one long and difficult night at the crossroads when in the midst of the fog of war, God called me and asked me to join His army. Its an interesting story that will be told one day soon.

I thank Him every day I breathe for that call. For His glory!

2 Samuel 22:40 For You have girded me with strength to battle. You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I was raised in a good family, but one in which I only attended church occaisonally with my Grandmother. My mother died when I was 13 and my dad when I was 14, so I began questioning how could God take away everyone I love? I raised myself from that point and didn't attend church until college. I was saved while attending college and even helped teach a Bible study class for kids for a little while. I began working in security and then law enforcement, where I spent the next 12 years. I found out working security that I enjoyed a good fight, and the more danger, the better I liked it. Police work was a natural fit, as was SWAT. I drifted from my faith for many years and chased every woman I thought was cute, even when I was married. I was a bad boy. On SWAT, I was involved in a shooting on a SWAT mission and took a life. I should not have been able to do what I did--reaction time says it can't happen. It was not possible. The girl I was seeing at the time was a Christian, and after much discussion, convinced me that God gave me the speed and accuracy to prevail, not my own hand. All the little nuances assocaited with this incident convinced me that it was He guiding my hand. I gradually returned to the faith over several years, married a good Christian woman, and have been growing stronger in Christ ever since. He is my rock and my fortress!
    Last edited by michael; 11-17-2004 at 04:45 PM.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

"....not my own hand"

I know it now, but Oh how I would have loved to know that years ago! Right on!!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

mkirk,
    The elder I spoke to regarding my decision was a strong and wise man. There were many like him, but almost all of the strong men were first generation Christians. You struck a cord with the remark about resisting pussification. With God's help, I married an excellent woman, also a first generation believer and we have set it as our mission to not raise second generation Christians. They need to be able to stand on their own feet and think for themselves. The males especially must know how to defend themselves and stand up for their little sisters and what is right. My boys and I have been active in Royal Rangers, and I thank God for this ministry. As mentioned in another thread, my nephew just went to PI. He seems to be doing well from his letters and I credit that in large part to his dad and Royal Rangers.

Psalm 18:34 He trains my hands for battle;
    my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Redman,

Excellent word bro! My oldest is four and I hope to be able to raise him as a first gen Christian too. I just put my three to bed and am packing for the sandbox (PSD gig). If I could teach him just one thing, it would be that live or die, follow God! His grace is sufficient.

Good thread!
    Mike

Default Im just not that Lucky.

For me,being a Warrior was something I had to take a long roundabout way to come to terms with.

I just never fit in with "Sheep"
    I despise the "Wolves"
    Guess that leaves "Sheepdog"?

Belief and faith have been solidly cemented by some things Ive seen and done here in the Box,or rather things Ive been able to do,and others havent been able to do to me.

After watching so many others hurt/killed,and me in similar situtions not even a scratch,I came to the conclusion that I was just not lucky enough to be that good,it had to be God watching over me and protecting me and guiding me.

Now I just have to accept this,and honor it by doing my duty as a warrior and learning to be a good Christian.

I started reading Gabe's replies to threads. Then I looked up the Chapter/verse he listed and became convinced there was something to "this Christ thing".

From there, it wasn't hard.