Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    FWIW I hear good things about Winchester Silvertips (don't remember if they're 180-, 200-, or 240-grain ) in .44 Special. It's been a while since I've shot any through my Taurus M44, but I recall being pleased w/the performance.
    Hooah, God bless, and Fight On,

TrojanSkyCop1
    DDM and recovering former JBGT
    I'm no longer with the government, but I'm still here to help

ERIN GO BRAGH and ALBA GU BRATH!

I was thinking about doing a WallyWorld/Bass Pro run this weekend specifically for .44 Spec for both of my Bulldogs. They're my house guns. I have some old Silvertips and Glaser Blues that have been in the 'dogs for a while. I really wish i had the space to set up my reloading gear. It really frustrates me on what .44, .45, .357 and even .380 cost to buy! I'm looking just for range ammo, but If I find some decent quality (Silvertip, GoldDot, etc) SD loads I'll pick up what is there.

I went through a Bulldog phase 25+ yrs ago. The only prob was carrying spare ammo. I used an "ammo wallet" and it was OK. Speed loaders are a little bulky. I really wish Bianchi would make .44 SpeedStrips. Lately I've seen slide-on ammo holders in .44. I may buy one... :D
    Unless it's life threatening, ITS ALL BULLSHIT! - Fl Obiwan

When seconds count, help is just minutes away!

Take a look at the Magsafe load for the 44 spcl. That Bulldog will turn into a Mastiff!

Quote Originally Posted by John21394 View Post
    Take a look at the Magsafe load for the 44 spcl. That Bulldog will turn into a Mastiff!
    Garbage ammo! Since Joe Z died the QC has been horrid and the general quality has been way down. Even when Joe Z was running the show it wasn't good for much beyond small/med dogs.

Cor-bon 165gr JHP.

hmmm! Starting to wonder if anyone here has actually used the stuff.

I'm looking at a box of 50 44 specials that I just made up for my hunting pal when we go out for bear. He's been packing a 44 lately so here's what I put together for him.

Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets loaded over 5.7 grains of Win.231. Gives a MV of 775 and KE of 321 and will put a hole the size of an apple on the backside of your target. Very reasonable on the kick.

IU shot some of teh magssafe. Garbage. I run teh Cor Bon loads.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Corbon has a 200 gr. DPX load for the .44 Special

Quote Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
    Corbon has a 200 gr. DPX load for the .44 Special
    That should be the heat.

I shoot 44 specials in my my 44 magnums once in awhile. Using published loading data I load 240gr hard lead bullets. The published velocity is low ~800-900fps. Penetration is good and recoil with a long barrel is low and second shot recovery is very good. Personally I wouldn't bother with HPs the 44 already makes a big enough hole and HP don't seem to perform (expand) well. The +P loads might be a different story I have not played those. If you want to shoot more potent loads but keep the weight down you might consider a Light weight 44 magnum mountain gun and shoot reduced +P loads in it.
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without. Havamal 38