Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default .44 Spl Defensive Load

Anyone have a .44 Spl defensive load for a 3" bbl they are pleased with? Digging out the old Bulldog just for the "halibut" and a couple of other reasons.

Need bullet and powder recommendations.

PM me with details or point me to one.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    Strength & Honor

I have received recommendations from people I trust for three loads:

Federal Champion 200 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point.

Hornady 180 grain XTP.

Speer 200 grain Gold Dot.

If you need more power than that, Buffalo Bore and Double Tap have several that approach 44 Magnum level.

What Wyatt said
    Wait for the Lord. Behave yourself manfully, and be of good courage.
    Do not be faithless, but stay in your place and do not turn back.
    Thomas Kempis

Gecko,

If you follow Wyatt Earps advice, and you use Buffalo Bore heavy loads in that Charter Arms Bulldog, you are not going to be happy with what it does to your gun.

Here is a good article from my good friend and fellow Shootist Mic McPhearson on the Bulldog. It will give you all you need to know.

http://www.levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm

Even Tim Sundles, who runs Buffalo Bore and who I find to be a sorry excuse for a human being, says on his website:

"This Heavy .44 Special ammunition can be fired in every .44 Special or .44 Magnum gun made EXCEPT CHARTER ARMS .44 SPECIAL BULLDOG."
    Last edited by ScottT; 07-04-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    God is God, and I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottT
    Gecko,

If you follow Wyatt Earps advice, and you use Buffalo Bore heavy loads in that Charter Arms Bulldog, you are not going to be happy with what it does to your gun.
    My bad. I missed the part about the Bulldog. Stick with either of the first three I suggested.

Thanks for the info guys! The levergun article is great. Did a Google on this before posting and came up with very little info.
    Strength & Honor

I have a Bulldog too. Neat 'lil cannon ! Currently a friend is using it for EDC. I'll second the 180XTP and the lighter Gold Dots. Got some Blazer ammo with Gold Dots here for it. OH, do NOT forget the DPX loadings, just wouldn't shoot alot of them. steve b

Thank You ScottT ! Was looking for that article for some time. I atributed to John Taffin though, no doubt why I couldn't find it ! One more bullet I'll mention, though its sadly outdated, is the Speer 225gr HP. Its not tactical or bonded , it will shed its jacket, but have used several hundred over the years for .44spec and lighter mag loads. steve b

I still regret selling the battered old Charter Bulldog (3" barrel, wood grips) that I had back in college. Thing shot like a champ and had a surprisingly smooth trigger. I keep looking for one of the same vintage.... without much luck! :( I don't need it, certainly, but it would be fun to rectify a mistake.

My current hard-use .44 Specials are my 624 4-inch and my 2.5 inch Jovino custom Highway Patrolman .44 Special conversion. I tend to stoke both with Buffalo Bore 185-gr. JHPs; which unfortunately is not a load the Charter should be used with. My second choice for a good .44 Special load was the old Blazer 200-gr. Gold Dot. Relatively inexpensive and still hits like a truck; AND would work in the Charter IIRC.
    "I'd rather live in a violent tumultuous, but free land, than in a controlled, safe, but oppressed one." - Gabe Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by 6Gunner
    I still regret selling the battered old Charter Bulldog (3" barrel, wood grips) that I had back in college. Thing shot like a champ and had a surprisingly smooth trigger. I keep looking for one of the same vintage.... without much luck! :( I don't need it, certainly, but it would be fun to rectify a mistake.
    I had a Charter Bulldog Pug and sold it, no CCW in Tn at the time. It wasn't enough bigger than a J frame to matter and had 5 44spl holes in the cyl. Shot pretty good. IIRC, I kept it stoked with Silvertips.