Default FOF May 31-June 1 Chattanooga with Randy

I previously took a FoF class with Gabe and Randy in March and was so impressed that I signed up for this 2 day FoF class as well. I also wanted to continue learning and applying the skills from the March class.

I call this class FoF +P+ J

It was a small class and if you’re in the southeast and didn’t attend, then you missed out. Because it was a small class, we got tons of repetitions on all the FoF drills and scenarios.

We started working FoF drills and understanding the overarching concepts applicable to dynamic close-range gunfighting. The early drills demonstrated why the Modern Technique’s “stand and fight” or “step off line and then stand and fight” concepts are a recipe for getting cut and/or shot.

We also worked drills to understand and apply take offs, angles, dynamic movement, some limited combatives and dealing with multiple bad guys. We also worked some low-light FoF drills and scenarios, disarms and disarm counters.

I’m sure I’ve left out many aspects of this class, but here’s my main point: if you’re squared away on a square range, then you NEED to take some FoF classes with SI. The materials, concepts and instruction are top rate and take you to the next level.

IMO, thinking you can fight with a pistol at realistic ranges simply because you’re squared away on a square range is a fallacy. This class is about fighting and increasing your chances of surviving a violent encounter that involves weapons.

One special note – this class was small enough that Randy and SI could have justifiably cancelled and rescheduled. Instead, Randy held the class and got friends to come in and frequently play the part of the “bad guy”. While not a great financial event for SI because of the small class size, this was boon for the students. We got tons of reps, work and extra instruction. I want to personally thank Randy, SI and the guest “bad guys” for that consideration.

A second special note on Randy - Randy is, IMO, one of the foremost FoF and practical shooting instructors in the southeast. If you’re in the SE, you need to look at the upcoming class schedule and train with him.

Last edited by DVC; 01-07-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC
    A second special note on Randy - Randy is, IMO, one of the foremost FoF and practical shooting instructors in the southeast. If you’re in the SE, you need to look at the upcoming class schedule and train with him.
    I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but thanks for the kind words. I'm just the product of some excellent instructors.

DVC is DEFINITELY squared away on the square range. IIRC he is a Master level IPSC competitor-and you can tell when you see him draw. So if he can't "stand and deliver" without getting cut ,stabbed or shot (or hit with a whiffel ball bat:D ) then maybe there is something to all this getting off the X business;) .

I'm just sorry that there were not more students to spread the BBs out among. When it is a small class everyone gets a ton of reps, but they also get shot A LOT. Having access to some willing "guest villians" was helpful. A big thanks to them for donating their time to be uncooperative bullet magnets.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 01-08-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris
    ...Having access to some willing "guest villians" was helpful. A big thanks to them for donating their time to be uncooperative bullet magnets.
    Randy...I have to save a while between classes, so I have to spread them out...but, if you find you need some more "guest villans", I'd be happy to donate some time...
    ohhh...can open, worms...everywhere...

Radical muslims enjoy blowing themselves up, and we enjoy blowing them up. You'd think we'd get along better...

Quote Originally Posted by meatball
    Randy...I have to save a while between classes, so I have to spread them out...but, if you find you need some more "guest villans", I'd be happy to donate some time...
    I'm pretty close. I might could swing a guest appearance sometime, too.:D

After all, it's for a great cause;)

Well, I was a guest villain and had a thoroughly good time trying to beat, stab, and shoot the various participants.
    I always learn alot even as a villain in these classes.
    The weather didnt cooperate on the second day but due to that we improvised as many stop-and-rob/home invasion scenarios as we could think of using the indoor garage area and the covered patio.
    Due to the early monsoon on Sunday we also worked some low light movement and tactics that were very informative. It cleared out after lunch and we then moved back out into the open for more close range attack/defense drills.
    It was once again a very good group of students and everyone was eager to learn and get as many reps as possible.
    Things that were evident:
    1. movement is KING. If there is room to move off the X when you first become aware of an imminent attack you need to do so as explosively as possible. Due to your proximity to the attacker and his weapon type you may have to employ hand to hand tactics before or instead of drawing the gun. Move to cover if you can.
    2. Practice with what you carry and wear....if you cant draw your weapon how can you employ it in a fight?
    3. Distance is your friend.....try to establish it or maintain it. Dont be afraid to run, dont let yourself be sucked into being the macho hero....if you are not a cop then dont try and be one. Just because there is an altercation taking place you dont have to get involved.
    4. Be careful of your situation.....situational awareness may keep you from HAVING to fight and it will deffinitely make you look like less of a target.

5. A long sleeve T-shirt is cooler than a sweatshirt but those BBs hurt alot more. :D

All in all it was a great couple of days. If you have had some pistol training and want to move to the next level of actually learning to fight with it, then FOF is the area you need to investigate. You never really know what you are capable of until you test yourself against a determined opponent. THe square range will teach you the marksmanship but the 360 degree range of FOF will teach you to FIGHT.

If you havent taken a class with Randy you need to check out his schedule. He is a very good instructor and all the students that I have come in contact with have been very well pleased with his teaching and methods.
    Last edited by bmp_sbi; 06-02-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Just because you cant imagine it doesnt mean I can't do it.

Most people are not looking for answers....they are looking for approval.