Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulgarian Ak

Default Bulgarian Ak

Anyone have knowledge of the Bulgarian SSR -85 w/ 1.6mm receiver?
    On a quest for perfect political incorrectness.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=34588

Sounds like everybody gives them the thumbs up.
    Gun owners tend to cast their arguments in civil rights terms. We tend to love freedom and claim to be willing to defend it against all tyranny. We should be the last people to support, either blatantly or passively, the suppression of the rights of other groups. -Len

Thanks, Urse. I ran a search for it because I thought I remembered a thread on a Bulgarian but I got nothing.
    Atlantic is selling them for $559.00. I was quoted about the same price for a VZ-58 from another source. Decisions, decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs
    Thanks, Urse. I ran a search for it because I thought I remembered a thread on a Bulgarian but I got nothing.
    Atlantic is selling them for $559.00. I was quoted about the same price for a VZ-58 from another source. Decisions, decisions!
    Get the Bulgy. The VZ-58 is an AK but not quite an AK. Not all the parts are the same.

The only downside to that rifle is the permanently attached slant brake. If you like slant brakes and don't want to put on a flash hider, then that looks like a nice rifle. For the same money, Atlantic has a lancaster with black poly furniture. Thinner receiver, but I honestly don't think receiver thickness makes any difference in how well the gun shoots...plus a lighter gun means quicker handling. Just how I see / prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlbraun
    Get the Bulgy. The VZ-58 is an AK but not quite an AK. Not all the parts are the same.
    No, jl, a Vz is not an Ak at all and none of the parts are the same. Well, except for the ammo.

The Vz is generally considered to be slightly more accurate and slightly less reliable than an AK. What are you buying it for? Training or range gun? I personally would love to have one "just because". However I(like many here) have been focusing on Kalashnikov based weapons systems primarily. Centrefire Systems has Saiga 12 gauges for $399! Although I am probably going to build an AR(gasp) next. I would take inventory of what I already had and make a decision from there. Good Luck!
    Gun owners tend to cast their arguments in civil rights terms. We tend to love freedom and claim to be willing to defend it against all tyranny. We should be the last people to support, either blatantly or passively, the suppression of the rights of other groups. -Len

Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs
    No, jl, a Vz is not an Ak at all and none of the parts are the same. Well, except for the ammo.
    Most importantly they also take different mags.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=34588

These have already been discussed. I have seen two come through Tactical Response Fighting Rifle classes that I have taught, and they work! Mind you, they do come with the slightly longer (1.25") NATO stock. Otherwise, they are typical, boringly reliable AK's. There are some other testimonials from owners and Gabe in the aforementioned link.

Sherman what do you think about the difference between the 1.6 mm and the 1mm receivers? Is that something to even be realistically concerned about?
    Epictetus:
    "First, decide who you would be. Then, do what you must do."
    "No man is free who is not master of himself."
    Seneca:
    "The point is, not how long you live, but how nobly you live."