Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    voraus Guest

Default I have been doing a combination yoga/pilates program

for a year and a half. I've been amazed at the crossover effect its had on my weight training and bicycling. I'm going to try YRG now. I've sent the link to the disabled vet's video to all of my workout partners. Its obvious that we haven't been doing enough. Michael, thanks for the tipoff on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout
    I am simply speechless with admiration for this man.
    I am as well. He is simply amazing, and he is the reason I ordered this video.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Quote Originally Posted by michael
    I am as well. He is simply amazing, and he is the reason I ordered this video.
    Yeah, I guess I need to buy another DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by sbeckman
    Michael, which of his DVD's did you choose?

I showed the video to my wife who does some Yoga and she was absolutely moved by it.

I'm thinking I'll get her one for her Birthday.

thanks
    I ordered the hardest one---the 60 minute YRG's video. I would have liked to have gotten the 3 DVD set, but didn't want to fork over so much $$. I may end up getting them anyway.

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

I ordered the 3 dvd set. Back when my ex was into yoga, she convinced me to join her for a workout. Not understanding what the basic moves were or how to properly perform them left me impossibly behind.

I had knee surgery in Nov & it's recovering nicely. Still can't run much, but I can walk forever. The Dec surgery on the ulnar nerve in my left arm/elbow OTH, is not healing quickly or well. Not being able to do any upper body weight work, pushups or pullups is very limiting. Looking forward to the arrival of the dvd's & some new workout ideas & techniques.

That my friends is what the warrior spirit is all about.
    Awesome clip.

S.
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

"A mile-long rationalization of one's good intentions will not obscure or excuse an inch of violation." Tom Sotis

That disabled ARMY vet is truly an inspiration.
    From the YRG website:

NO EXCUSES: Arthur's Story - 120 Pounds in 8 Months

" Inspired by Smokey, Lee, Terri and Ted... Arthur continues his goal to become healthy and walk again by eating according to Dr. Fred Bisci the intermediate level menu and strengthening his core through YRG ... yes he modifies the positions but that's what YRG is all about... I encourage everyone to make this YRG Workout their own... Yes he uses props to keep himself standing... canes... chairs... blocks... Whatever he needs to move forward... and yes he falls down a lot but he understands it's not about how many times you fall down in life that counts... it's about how many times you get back up again and move forward... We will follow this mans journey on his way to walk again right here on this site because ARTHUR is truly and inspiration... come back monthly to see Arthur's results."

- Diamond Dallas Page
    August 7, 2007
    Day 178

My name is Arthur Boorman. I am a disabled veteran of the first (1990-91) Persian Gulf War. I am a special education teacher, and I work as an assistant administrator (vice principal) in an alternative education (summer school/night school) program.

It all started with that first step in February. On February 9, 2007, I weighed almost 300 pounds. I was morbidly obese. To be exact, I weighed two hundred and ninety seven pounds. I could only walk using crutches and leg braces. I needed to wear a back brace, and I needed help to do the simplest tasks like dressing myself. I had sleep apnea and I was a prime candidate for a stroke or a heart attack or worse.

That was when I started YRG. When I started the 50(+) program, I needed a chair for balance and straps to hold myself in many of the positions. I was determined, however, to regain control of my life. I listened to the Own Your Life CD, and I heard DDP say that there were three things that I controlled:
    How I think
    How I breathe
    What I put in my mouth

I took control. I stopped thinking of myself as a victim of my injuries. I stopped thinking of these as permanent conditions. I started thinking of how to fix things. I started working the program every day. I fell down many times. Hard. I got back up every time, more determined than ever to make this work. To tell the truth, there were a few days when I was tired, or sore, but I listened to DDP's CD for encouragement. This was also in the early days of TEAM YRG, our mutual support network. Looking at the example of those who went before me, particularly Smokey and Ted, gave me inspiration and motivation to stick with it when it was hard. After I got over that hurdle, I quickly began to look forward to my YRG workouts. I really enjoyed the way I felt when I was doing YRG. It made me feel strong and alive for the first time in many years.

I put up with disbelieving friends and co-workers. I heard the negativity, and I ignored it. They started thinking differently when they saw the pounds begin to drop off and when they saw me moving better, with less pain and greater endurance and mobility. Now some of those same people ask me about YRG.

I learned to breathe. I became aware of my breath, and I gained and am continuing to gain control of it. I learned to use my breath to help my workout. It has helped me gain balance and stability as well as endurance.

I took ownership – responsibility for what I put into my mouth. I did not realize it before, but I was eating crap. It wasn't good for me, and I knew it but I didn't care. I was communicating to my wife and kids –the people I love the most in the world – that I wanted that pizza more than I wanted the years that I would not be able to spend with them. NO MORE! That is over. I eat healthy food now. DDP sent me an eating plan. It is simple and easy to follow. I followed it without exception for all these months. No amphetamines, no surgery, no quack diets, just healthy food and YRG.

I did my YRG, many times twice a day. I started with the 50(+) program for the first 30 days and over the next 30 days I worked through the Fountain of Youth program, with in 90 days I was doing the Yoga for Regular Guys program, including the 1 hour Fat Burner Plus, which I do twice a week. Daily YRG is as much a part of my routine as getting out of bed. It isn't just my exercise program; it is part of my lifestyle.

I may have done the work myself, but Dallas provided me with the tools, inspiration, and motivation that made this possible. I have never been alone. I am not unique. I'm just a regular guy. Look at the other stories on this website. I am part of TEAM YRG, and we all are working towards the same goal: to own our lives.

It all started with that first step back in February. Today, I weigh 197 pounds. It has been less than six months, and I have lost one hundred pounds. I am not done yet. When school starts, in three weeks, I will meet the busses on the first day on my own two feet, no braces, no canes, no hardware.

If you're reading this, and you're wondering if you should try YRG, don't wonder. DO IT! DO IT NOW! OWN YOUR LIFE!

I used to end my emails with the phrase: I WILL WALK AGAIN!!!

Then, it became: I WILL WALK AGAIN-AND SOON!!!

Now, it is: I WILL WALK AGAIN - AUGUST 2007!!!

Next: I WILL RUN!!!

To see more on Arthur go to http://www.myspace.com/arthur_will_walk
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

"A mile-long rationalization of one's good intentions will not obscure or excuse an inch of violation." Tom Sotis

Default From Arthur's Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008
    One Year
    Category: Life

It's been one year.
    A year ago, I was waiting to die.
    That sounds melodramatic, but it's true. I looked at myself - a disabled veteran who couldn't walk without crutches. I knew that I was dangerously unhealthy. I needed mechanical braces on my legs and back. I had a hard time even breathing. I knew it; I just did not think I could do anything about it. I was a major candidate for a heart attack or a stroke. My doctors knew it, too. They were just too polite to tell me to my face. We all knew, but we all decided to ignore the obvious. I was over 300 pounds - much more than 100 pounds overweight. I had tried to lose the weight several times, but each time I had failed.
    That was when I talked with Dallas Page for the first time. I had seen Smokey on the website - a man who had a work schedule just as insane as mine, but he'd lost a lot of weight doing YRG. I thought, if he can do this, maybe I can too. Dallas made me look at myself. I did not like what I saw. He showed me that I was placing food over family. I was acting in a way that showed my wife and children that I valued my junk food more than I valued the years that I would not be spending with them. Dallas made me see that I was not living in a way that matched my values.
    Without him saying it, he made me look at the things I had done to my family. I saw the times I had been too weak or too tired to play with my boys. I saw all the things I had never done for them or for my wife. He made me see that I had become afraid of trying to fix myself, that I had relinquished control of my life to a disability and to food. I did not like what I saw. I did not like who I had become.
    That was when I said "I can do this."
    Those were four very frightening words. I was not going to give myself a way out. To borrow a trite phrase, "No Retreat, No Surrender." I was going back to war - - only this time, my enemy was my own weakness. I was going to give it one more try. I remember laying in bed next to my wife and I said that if this didn't work, I knew that I would never have the will to try again. I was more than scared - I was downright terrified. I did not want my boys to see me fail. I think I feared that more than death. I knew it would be all or nothing.
    I remembered a site on the web called 'fat man walking,' which followed a man trying to walk all over the place to lose weight. I decided to do the same thing. That way, if I backslid, people would get on me and keep me honest. That was why I started posting all the videos and the pictures. I started getting up early in the morning to work out with the DVD. I fell down - a lot - more than a lot. I made it a point that I would always try to get back up faster than I fell, and that unless I was hurt, I'd never stay down for more than a three count. I used it as a teaching point with my boys - that you don't fail when you fall, you fail if you don't get back up. I followed the eating plan religiously. I even carried a copy around with me everywhere I went. (I still do.) I listened to the "Own Your Life" CD so many times that I think I may have memorized parts of it. I still keep it in the CD player in my car.
    Thirty days in, at my first month's weigh in I was shocked to see how much weight I lost. DDP was there with me (on the phone, on the web, -but most of all - in spirit) and we celebrated that victory. With each month, I became more of the man I used to be. Six months in, I had lost 100 pounds. Summer school was starting, and I was proud that I was getting around with no braces, using only my canes.
    Dallas challenged me. He said I should set a goal to get rid of the canes by the beginning of the school year. Again, I was scared. But it wasn't like before. I knew this time that I could do it. I remember hearing a line when I was in the Army: "Success is not an accident - success is a habit." It was a habit that I had fallen out of, but Dallas Page got me back into it. When the students came back in August, on that first day, I was there to meet the busses on my own two feet. Since then, I have gotten stronger, faster, and I continued to lose weight. I decided to stabilize my weight at 160 pounds. It sounds strange, but I have to worry nowadays about losing too much weight. I am still a little unsteady on my feet. I still fall down sometimes, especially when I have to run.
    Run.
    I can run.
    I am still disabled. I still need hand controls to drive, although I hope that someday they will join the braces and crutches on the junkpile. There is no way I can ever even begin to thank Dallas and all of you for the friendship and support that has helped me turn my life around.
    One year.
    All in one year.
    One year ago, I said "I can do this."
    One year ago, I changed my life.
    So can you.
    Never quit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt
    I ordered the 3 dvd set. Back when my ex was into yoga, she convinced me to join her for a workout. Not understanding what the basic moves were or how to properly perform them left me impossibly behind.

I had knee surgery in Nov & it's recovering nicely. Still can't run much, but I can walk forever. The Dec surgery on the ulnar nerve in my left arm/elbow OTH, is not healing quickly or well. Not being able to do any upper body weight work, pushups or pullups is very limiting. Looking forward to the arrival of the dvd's & some new workout ideas & techniques.
    Good for you, brother! Let us know how you like them.

I ordered the hardest one---the 60 minute YRG's video. I would have liked to have gotten the 3 DVD set, but didn't want to fork over so much $$. I may end up getting them anyway.
    I ain't afraid to spend a little $$. I bought the 3 DVD set and the 50+ set for my parents.

Being the stuborn person that I am I managed to do something to my lower back trying to do lat pulldowns and rows. When these DVD's get here I'm going to try YRG exclusively until the shoulder is fixed and I'm released to full freedom.