Default Randy Harris shoots student at DPS class

Actually, I only took a stapler round in the thumb while we were hanging targets, but since you’re here, I’ll give a review of this weekends DPS class with Randy Harris. I think I speak for everyone who attended when I say the class was well presented and worth every penny. Randy is a great instructor and did a fantastic job of explaining not only the how to but also the why. Suarez International doesn’t teach dogma or a single style. They look at everything that is out there and put it all to the test. They keep what works; toss what doesn’t, and change what can be made better. This then all gets combined into their training programs. For those who have never taken a class or are just starting out, DPS is the foundation on which to build your pistol training. For those who want a good comprehensive course on basic skills and mindset, DPS can stand alone and give you everything you need.

I couldn’t possibly cover everything I learned but I did want to highlight a few things I took away from the weekend. First, situational awareness is crucial and without it, that pistol you’re carrying is pretty much worthless. Seeing situations as they develop and knowing what to look for can keep a lot of problems from ever coming to fruition in the first place. Second, have a pre-planned response and GET MOVING. If a situation does occur, being aware and knowing what you will do speeds up and streamlines your OODA loop, while slowing down and changing the other persons plan. He is now reacting to you. Third, simply carrying a pistol is not the answer to all of your self defense problems. You might have to actually use it. Walk away if you can, lay hands on someone if you have to, but if you make the decision to draw, then you should be prepared to fire. Pistols are not carried to scare someone or to wound someone. To quote the late Ronnie Van Zant, “Handguns are made for killin’, ain’t no good for nothin’ else.” If you are in a situation that requires you to draw your weapon, SHOOT THEM TO THE GROUND. A pistol is not a death ray; it might take multiple rounds to stop the threat. If that is not your intent, you have no reason to draw.

For the gun handling and shooting aspects of the class, we covered all principles of safety, the drawstroke, reloading, and clearing various malfunctions. The material was well organized with good progression and pacing. It was a full two days but very easy to absorb the amount of infomation. We shot from close range and as far back as 50 yards. Every person in the class could hit a torso sized target from that distance by the end of day two. We worked on shooting drills for accuracy, movement, multiple threats, and combinations of multiple skill sets. As an aside, we had three Glocks, one Kimber, and two XDs in the class. The Kimber had a couple of problems, one of the Glocks had two double feeds, and the XDs ran flawlessly. Not being biased, cough XDs Rule cough, just reporting the facts. For full disclosure, I should note the Kimber was probably ammo related and the Glock limp wrist related.

The mark of a good instructor is someone who can show you a skill and then teach you how to do it and diagnose and correct your problems as you learn. Randy was able to help every person in the class with individual needs as they arose. I know my groups got tighter and migrated toward the center as the class progressed. We all left as more effective and confident shooters. What we do after the class with what we learned is up to each individual. I thoroughly enjoyed training with each of the other students and hope to see them at some future class. Again, I'm sure I've left out a lot, so hopefully others will post their experiences. So if you haven’t decided yet or are hesitant about whether this class is right for you, I encourage you to ask the instructor any questions but just sign up. You will not be disappointed. Thanks to Randy, Gabe and SI for a great class.
    Last edited by PT Doc; 01-28-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc
    Actually, I only took a stapler round in the thumb while we were hanging targets,
    Yeah we apparently need to have a safety lecture on hanging targets;) :D . Putting your hand behind where someone is stapling is probably not the best place to put your hand.....

Other than that everything went well. And again I did NOT set up the guy selling gold chains at Subway as a "test" . As I told everyone in class the first morning there would be material we would cover that you could use THAT DAY to make yourself safer. Little did I know some of you would get to use it at lunch....:D
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris
    ...And again I did NOT set up the guy selling gold chains at Subway as a "test" . As I told everyone in class the first morning there would be material we would cover that you could use THAT DAY to make yourself safer. Little did I know some of you would get to use it at lunch....:D
    So.... what happened?
    This sound like something I may be interested in hearing about. :D

S.
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire

"A mile-long rationalization of one's good intentions will not obscure or excuse an inch of violation." Tom Sotis

Yeah, I about spilled my drink when I saw the title, but hey, a little sensationalism in journalism is not always a bad thing......;) :D

I'm sure some of the "SI haters " will pass this on and spread the word that people are getting shot in SI classes and the instructors hire people to attack the students at lunch.....but strangely enough that kind of gossip is normally GOOD for business.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 01-29-2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Yes, lets hear more about the Subway incident!

Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise, I'll be at the class in April. I am very much looking forward to finally getting some training!
    -God -Family -State

Yeah we apparently need to have a safety lecture on hanging targets;) :D
    All staplers are always loaded. :p
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt - San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903

I did hesitate before posting the title but figured if anyone took it to that extreme, they have lost their grip on reality.

As for the staple, I think it was a hot load that overpenetrated. Besides, what good is a class if no blood is drawn?

The Subway Incident:
    We spent part of the morning discussing situational awareness and picking up on "tells" or clues that may give you some indication of a developing situation. We broke for lunch and Randy suggested we go to Subway since it was close. Two other students had ordered and were sitting in the back of the restaurant. I am in line and there is one employee making my sandwich. No other people in the store. An urban youth enters and stands behind me. I make eye contact and give an upward nod as acknowledgement. No alarm bells. He then gets within a foot of me and asks if I wanted to buy a gold chain. I told him no thanks, checked out his hands and moved a couple of steps away. I'm suspicious but not freaking out. Just a brotha' tryin to make a dolla'. He hasn't ordered and isn't looking at the menu. He then closes the distance again and turns so he has his back to me. He is wearing a parka with a hood, so I can't see his face or hands. I'm now thinking, "is this really happening or is this something Randy set up to see my reaction after our morning discussion?" I don't have much room to move, so I just turn a little so I have one hand on my XD and the other to give him a chin jab if he turns around or does anything. I think I am spending too much time here, because my next thought was about CWS's post earlier in the week about "earthing a MF." The youth stood there for about twenty seconds and then walked out of the store. About a minute later Randy comes in and I tell him about the situation. I never really felt threatened but it did put everything from the morning into a different light.