Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From A Student

Exclamation From A Student

FROM A STUDENT:

Hi Gabe:

Great sound advice on the Forum about what a shotgun can and cannot do!

I have a stock Mossberg 500 12 shotgun with a modified choke on a 28" vent rib barrel for hunting and this combo gun also included a plain beaded 18" cylinder barrel and plan on using the 18" barrel for self defense inside the home.

While I have a small pistol grip to fit this shotgun, I'm a little apprehensive in using it due to quality of aim and longer followup shots due to not handling the recoil as well as the regular fiberglass stock.

How do you feel about pistol grips?

Answer: I see a great deal of these in central America. They allow the SGN to be meneuvered better and are not much of an issue IF the shots will be taken close range (as is usual). Forget about taking 100 yard slug shots this way, but for CQB at arm's length its not bad.

Also, I have painted the front bead on the 18" cylinder barrel flourescent green, but wonder if there is a better sight arrangement for SD at night inside the home. What do you suggest for sights on a short barrel? Can my local smith install rifle sights if they're available?

Answer: You can get rifle sights, but why bother. It sounds like you have a good set up there.

FYI: I was impressed at the tight shot group (00 Winchester Ranger Low Recoil buckshot) of only 4" at 30 yards with the modified 28" barrel and 2 1/2" - 3" group with the 18" cylinder choke at 10 yards: question - what brand of buckshot do you like and what size? 00, #4?

Answer: My HD SGN has Federal Premium Buckshot #00

What about slugs? I just purchased 10 boxes of Remington Low Recoil LE 1-oz. slugs (from CTD for only $1.86 per box of 5) to practice with.

PMC 00 and #4 buckshot at the same price are also used for range time.

Am I on the right track?

Answer: IMHO, forget #4, stay with #00. As far as LE Low Recoil. Its not that much of an advantage. Think hard about what you will use the SGN for. If I need slugs, I'll go with regular Brenekes, or Foster Slugs (standard power, not reduced)..
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I am by no means as knowledgeable or as skilled as our host, but I just absolutely hate pistol grip only shotguns. I can deal with a pistol grip/stock combo if I have to do so, but I want to be able to shoulder the weapon in the "pocket" and get the cheekweld on the stock.

I readily admit that while I am a certified police firearms instructor with an additional shotgun certification I am not an "operator". So, I may be missing something here, but I just use the various ready positions to move through a structure.

C.E.,

A stock is better, but a PG only is not just a baseball bat. You can make it work fine at close range.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Pistol grips have there place but I would prefer a short butt stock to one, and I agree on the #4 loose it and go to larger shot,, same same on the slugs,,stay away from the SABOT type unless you have a rifled bore
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

I've never cared for PG griped shotguns because it seemed to limit the weapon so much - you were losing a lot of the capability.

However, I did have a friend who kept a couple around and called them his "Whippit Guns", because you could "whip 'em around fast" in close areas like a car or hallway.

I guess everything has it's place.

Does remind me of a SG class I was in, though. Woman had a PG shotgun and was warned to shoot from full extenstion. Nope, she brought it up to her face about where it would have been with a stock - and, well, she didn't show up the next day. Guess the bloody lip scared her off.

As I said above I am by no means an operator. I'm sure that there are those that can make them work, but I sure don't want to shoot one.

I did hear a funny story about a guy trying to shoot skeet with one and ended up busting out some teeth when the tried to hold it so that he could see the bead.

What about some of the collapsable stocks that I've seen. Several (Uncle Mike's comes to mind) have received favorable reviews as far as comfort and utility in several of the gun magazines.

The only reason I ask is because of the storage space/ease of carry issues for a fixed stock long arm as oppossed to one that you can "take down" until you need to use it.

Thanks.

A lot of people like them and use them. I currently have the factory synthetic stock on my 870P, but I plan to switch to a Hogue. I just like the regular stock better than any of the oter stuff.

The comment about collapsable stocks and storage is valid - but these would rarley be used with the stock actually folded away. They are typically not very comfortable, but they cut storage size down and give you a shoulder weld for shooting.

I was in LA a few weeks ago and saw a motorcycle cop on Sunset with a shotgun (folding stock) on his bike - never seen that before. Made me wonder where he got the mount. Looked like the perfect thing for motorcycle camping trips in southern AZ.

Steve Camp is offline Troll, Thief And Liar - Banned 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate
    Looked like the perfect thing for motorcycle camping trips in southern AZ.
    You mean patrols? :D