Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P2000 Rattle

Patriot_Arms Guest

Question P2000 Rattle

Anyone here knows of a fix for the loose amibi/right side slide latch/release? It is not real noticable while handling the pistol, but as soon as you holster it in Kydex the rattle is much more noticable. This doesn't make for a very good conealed carry combination if isn't silent. This is one of my Wife's carry guns. I know a leather holster would be one solution, but I'd like to know if there's a way to tighten up the latch so that it doesn't rattle as much. Any suggestions?

Sounds like it might be a worn part. I'd have some who does H&K work give it a once over. Definitely shouldn't be rattling.
    Three Precious Metals: Gold, Silver and Lead

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley Jr.

Patriot_Arms Guest
    Nope not wore, gun has only 300 rounds through it. She baught it new just a couple of months ago. Looked at another at local gun shop yesterday with same rattle. I also searched the forum before posting this thread and found one other complaint about the same rattle.

Do you own one without the rattle?

The one I had (it's on consignment at this time) didn't rattle. I've seen USPs that rattled. Mine does not. I don't believe it to be normal and it's certainly not acceptable. The only thing one's enemy should hear is bang.
    Three Precious Metals: Gold, Silver and Lead

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley Jr.

Patriot_Arms Guest
    I agree MB, it's not acceptable. I'll continue to look at others at the gun shops to try and determain some variances in fit between them. It's really not that noticable with gun in hand. I probably would not have ever mentioned it until she started using the Kydex holster, then I just couldn't ignore it. The rattle makes it obvious that she's carrying something. Wives are not suppose to rattle when they walk...;)

Mine does not rattle either; I'm sure HK will send a replacement. That said, this is the only part on the entire weapon I have any issue with, if only due to the fact that it's finished obviously different than any other part on the firearm.

I wonder if it's made up of a different metal accordingly.

The P2000SK also has a little rattle due to some play in the right hand/ambi slide release lever as it bumps against the frame.

I do believe you can remove the ambi slide release lever if it really bothers you (assuming you're right handed and don't want/need the ambi lever) and the gun will run just fine. I recall Gabe teaching that it's not good to rely on the slide release levers and to just work the slide on a lock back as this is much more reliable anyways (at least when you HAVE two hands available).

Dave
    Last edited by DCNB; 08-26-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Patriot_Arms Guest
    DCNB, You're describing the same rattle. My Wife has a Blade Tech holster, it has just enough clearance around the latch to allow it to move and rattle between the frame of the pistol and the holster.

I had already thought of removing the right side lever and tried it... I would not recommend it, the left latch works itself out after a few racks of the slide causing the slide to lock open in the disassemble position.

Thanks everyone for your feed back. It sounds like there are P2000s out there with varying fit and finish.

Guys-

The "rattle" on the right side slide stop is due to the way it locks into the frame and is held by the opposing slide stop.

It can be more pronounced in some pistols and if you attempt to remove the lever off the right side without disengaging it from the frame by a 1/4 turn you can actually make the rattle worse, or create it if it didn't rattle before.

Both my Comp-Tac & BladeTech holsters seem to silence it so I might suggest moving to a better holster.;) :D :)

It is what it is so you'll need to decide whether you can overcome and live with it, or it's a limiting factor for you with the otherwise perfect pistol.
    Section1

"If war is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful."

C.S. Lewis

"Me? I think all of that is a load of gun school crap. I train and teach to shoot them to the ground. Beginning at the chest I shoot a burst to the chest and run the line up til I get to the face. Winning their hearts and minds....Suarez style."

Gabe Suarez

Patriot_Arms Guest
    Section1, As you'll see in my previous post the Blade Tech that you recommend as a better holster is what my Wife is currently using. If your holster holds the lever firm enough to not rattle then maybe I should try to exchange hers for one that fits tighter. At this point it is definately so annoying that she will not use it. The Kydex shell seems to amplify the noise.