Default 00 Buck in Rifled Barrel

Anyone try this? I shot 3 different brands of 00 buckshot through a Mossberg 500 rifled barrel, 12 gauge. I shot at a human silhouette target at 25'. Out of all three rounds, 3 pellets hit the target, and just 2 were in the chest area. Was this just my barrel or has anyone else had similar results?

I wanted a rifled barrel on my shotty so I could use the sabot slugs, but after seeing the results of this, I now have a smooth bore on it.

The question is what will it be used for? IF you're going hunting for deer, then a rifled slug barrel may be in order. Otherwise, the smoothbore should take care of it.

I don't know why you can't hit the target with the rifled barrel & 00 Buck. It should have very little effect at 25 feet. The question is WHAT happens when you shoot the smooth bore?

The rifled bore puts the spin on the wad and causes the shot charge to spread and disperse sooner into a wide patern.
    An recent example would be the Taurus Judge 45/410 revolver.Great gun for a big old Mr. No shoulders slithering around but not real good past 15 feet or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplethreat
    The rifled bore puts the spin on the wad and causes the shot charge to spread and disperse sooner into a wide patern.
    Exactly. If you pattern shot from a rifled tube you'll see that it looks like a doughnut - nothing in the middle. And the pattern expands very fast with distance.

The rifles tube will also increase the chance of early pellet deformation thus decreasing the effective down range penetration of the load being delivered.
    Section1

"If war is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful."

C.S. Lewis

"Me? I think all of that is a load of gun school crap. I train and teach to shoot them to the ground. Beginning at the chest I shoot a burst to the chest and run the line up til I get to the face. Winning their hearts and minds....Suarez style."

Gabe Suarez

Well, my new Benelli Super 90 puts 3 out of 5 slugs in a ragged hole at 25 Yards, the other 2 are within a couple inches. That of course could be my flinching because slugs from a bench are no fun.
    A bedtime story:

I was down at the Mosque going through a few magazines.
    I was having a good time.
    Then, my rifle jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire
    The question is what will it be used for? IF you're going hunting for deer, then a rifled slug barrel may be in order. Otherwise, the smoothbore should take care of it.

I don't know why you can't hit the target with the rifled barrel & 00 Buck. It should have very little effect at 25 feet. The question is WHAT happens when you shoot the smooth bore?
    I could not hit the target because the shot was being spread out too fast from the rifleing. A smoothbore does just fine with 00 buckshot. I use a bolt action 308 for deer and such.

My smooth bore Remington 870 will shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards (if I do my part). Further than that, they opened up pretty good, but I could keep it minute of deer to about 75 yards. With a rifled barrel it puts it out there to around 100 (open sights). So I keep the smooth barrel (with mag-extension) set up for social occasions (OO buck and slugs) and keep the rifled barrel for assassinating Bambi and kin .
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

If I was limited to "shotgun only" for deer I would use a rifled slug barrel, but they are really only good for hunting with slugs. My 20 inch Rem 870 and 20 inch Ithaca 37 Deerslayer barrels (smoothbore w/ rifle sights) do just fine with slugs out to 50 yards, and the handle buck well.

Rifled slug barrels fill a very narrow niche, defense isn't in that niche. Mac