Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Virginia Tech and Concealed Carry Laws

All:

As far as I understand it, concealed carry is NOT prohibited on Virginia Tech. In reviewing the CCW law, the only university that has a prohibition *in the CCW code* is Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU).

However, VT *policy* is no weapons on campus for people who have signed their contract: students and employees.

So, I can carry on campus, but students cannot. In fact, a student was disciplined last year for carrying concealed on campus (apparently not well either).

What I am not sure about is if it is a misdemeanor to carry as a student or employee while under a signed contract. I believe it is; I cannot carry at work because of my employer's policies. I think it is not different for universities.

Students face expulsion and staff, the axe. Other than that I don't think there are criminal actions that the college can take.

If you are "made" while on campus all they can do is ask you to comply or leave. After this incident, I'm guessing that there will be many more folks ignoring the rules.
    AKA G30Jack

See My Schedule

"Most people find change in their dryer, I find bullets"- My wife

I will remember that if the monsterous creature is within clubbing range, it is a tight situation, and start clubbing. This is true even if my firearm still works. No reason not to club and shoot at the same time.

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

Just carry the frigging gun and keep your mouth shut about it.
    How many times have you "been made"?

Just do it.

The life you save may be your own.
    Gabe Suarez

To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing,
    unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”

― Winston Churchill

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez

Just do it.

Remember who you are talking to here... ;)
    AKA G30Jack

See My Schedule

I will remember that if the monsterous creature is within clubbing range, it is a tight situation, and start clubbing. This is true even if my firearm still works. No reason not to club and shoot at the same time.

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

There are pros and cons, and one must always be prepared to pay consequences. It's a decision each individual must make.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout
    There are pros and cons, and one must always be prepared to pay consequences. It's a decision each individual must make.
    Some more dire than others.
    AKA G30Jack

See My Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rumbaugh
    Some more dire than others.
    True. But when your butt is sitting in a prison cell, that is the consequence that happened. The other, more dire one is merely a vision of what could have happened, but did not. One's immediate reality always seems to have a way of outweighing imagination.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just be prepared for all eventualities.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

Just do it.

Agreed. It's not a problem for non-students such as myself...not that I've even been there since I graduated.

As Tom Gresham puts it on Gun Talk: "It's just too dangerous to go anywhere without a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold War Scout
    True. But when your butt is sitting in a prison cell, that is the consequence that happened. The other, more dire one is merely a vision of what could have happened, but did not. One's immediate reality always seems to have a way of outweighing imagination.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just be prepared for all eventualities.
    I was waxing all philosophical and junk.:p You know me well enough to know my feeling on this subject.
    AKA G30Jack

See My Schedule

I say what I said because I have on many occasion seen people who are basically good get jammed up doing something that is illegal. Quite a number had this insane belief that once the system found out what good people they were, all would be forgiven. That the system would understand and forgive. It was sad to see these people when and as reality gripped them.