Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have Meprolight front and rear's on my Glock, but have taken a Sharpie and blacked out the rear. It gives a nice contrast during the day, while allowing the tritium to glow through at night, but much less so on the rear than the front, which makes it easy to distinguish which is which. I like this set-up a lot.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Quote Originally Posted by Mossyrock
    Let me give you a third choice: plain black rear with a wide notch and a Trijicon front sight. This will FORCE you focus on the front sight and gives you a much less "cluttered" sight picture than the normal three dot set up.
    This too is my setup on all my handguns. I totally agree.

+1 for the XS Sights Big Dot system.

Default +1 Black rear, Tritium front

Black rear w/tru-glo tritium front is my choice. I've not yet broken a TG & my eyes appreciate that the front sight is always green, day or night. JM2C.

Default Sights

Opinions are among the things everyone has and that will not change. Not that others are wrong, but preference needs to be coupled with (in this case) what is quickest/best for accurate shot placement. Set your goals (competition/combat), then pick the sights. For me, they would be the same, XS Big Dot, no tritium. In my current world, target identification is absolutely neccessary. If I have enough light for identification, I have enough light to see the sight if I'm looking for it. As already mentioned, most will not/cannot use the sight anyway. If in an environment, where specific target ID, is not paramount, tritium could be a better choice. Even if that were the case, Big Dot 24/7 would be the choice. My main practice handgun has no sights and body shots are there back to at least 50 yards. I'm not saying I can point shoot back through 50 yards, only that with some slide alignment and trigger control, you can make shots without sights. Again, IMO!
    Stay Safe
    RB

My choice is a plain black Novak rear and a gold bead front.....works for me.

If you ever located a guy in a dark building BECAUSE of the glow of his sights, you will NEVER carry a gun with them again.

I'm thinking of painting the front sight white and leaving it at that. Should I remove the blueing first or can I just paint over it?
    I'll be back!

I started as a user of regular black sights shooting a 1911. Our academy staff threw a fit because I wouldn't install tritium sights (I resisted due to the cost of tritium sights on a Bomar cut Kimber; they were adamant because the vast majority of the class were below average shooters and it was better for us as a class to buy in to what was best for most of us). During our first night shoot, I shot better than at least half of the class (which really pissed them off), but not in the to tier (which pissed me off). Due to their brow beating (and in spite of my ego), I switched to Bomar adjustable night sights (dot over bar). My shooting at night improved immediately.

After my 1911 went TU, I went to a Glock 17. As soon as possible, I switched to Ashley Big Dots (heavily influence by a PDF reading of "Shooting to Live"). After a lot of practice (in the context of free Department ammo) I scored a 100% on the next night qual in which at least 1/3 of the department failed on their first try (we were essentially ordered not to make people qual against such a hard standard again - administration doesn't like to fail).

Ashley sights can be learned.

The next summer (on Ashley's) I didn't do as well on a qual that included a 25 yard line. I just couldn't figure out how to shoot them at that distance. I switched to Trijicon three dot night sights. They were a pretty good balance.

I decided that, though Big Dots helped you hit fast up close, I could do that without sights if I needed to. On the contrary, I needed sights to hit from a distance.

I eventually switched to a G-35 with Meprolight factory night sights. I hated that gun in every context other than shooting it. Carrying it sucked (it drug on my seat). Drawing it sucked (from an 070, it felt like a sword). Shooting it, I was a wizard. Meprolight sights are the best factory three dot night sights I've used.

Then, I switched to an M&P .40. They have conventional three-dot tritium sights. All would have been fine if the tritium inserts and the metal notched sights actually lined up (they don't, the night sights shoot a tad low).

I first ordered a Dan Brunell rear sight. Installing it was an exprience, as I didn't know that the firing pin saftey was retained by the sight, and the spring mananged to fly across my kitchen and into my garbage disposal (in slow motion, of course). Once everthing was retrieved and installed, I shot very well with this new setup (factory tritium from and plain black rear). It is slower than three trituim dots. It is more acurate than the factory three tritium dots (an M&P quirk).

Having really liked the speed of the Big Dots, and not quite being a complete gear queer (maybe just gear bi-curious), I ordered one of first sets of M&P Standard Dot kits for an M&P. I think that would have been a great balance, if it weren't for me shearing off the front sight post with my punch, and sending it flying across my garage to destinations unknown - I haven't swallowed my pride enough to ask XS Sights if I can just order a front to replace it.

In the end, I've settled back on the regular night sight factory kit for my new M&P 9mm.

I tell this long story because I have a feeling that most people have been through something similiar, and, if you are new to guns, you don't necessarily need to (though you probably will).

The most important thing to learn from either the UCR reports on police shootings or private anecdotes is that:

1. Almost no shootings are done in "no light".
    2. If you are close enought to the threat to be in immediate danger, and are screwing around with lining up your three illuminated dots, you are in serious danger of losing your fight.
    3. Tritium sights don't help you identify targets, flashlights do.
    4. If you aren't comfortable shooting at point shooting distances without sights, you need to practice more.
    5. If you install sights that preclude you from shooting at significant distance ~+20 yards, you are doing yourself a disservice.

I don't know if this helps answer your question, but it's the most recent chapter in my quest.
    They fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till he knew that the Most High God rules in the kingdom of men, and appoints over it whomever He chooses.

Great story Doug in CO. Anytime I can learn from the experience of others other than the school of hard nocks myself I save a few grey hairs.

I made the "mistake" of buying an XD9 SC. That little nine handles so well I'm toying with the idea of selling my 1911 Ultra compact and buying a XD .45 compact. It's just a tad bigger, but much lighter. After this episode I will never buy a gun with no-dot sights again. :D
    I'll be back!