SI 2014 Training
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TennDECA View Post
    I would also like to know if zeroing a stock Saiga is the same as mentioned above. I'm stuck with the factory Saiga sights until I can get my gun to Jim.
    Your not "stuck" with the factory sights you can do a simple change out with a standard AK sight and a flat screwdriver or drill press it's a 2 minute fix to a crappy set of sights
    Honor your God and ancestors.
    Live for today.
    Look to the future.
    Love with your whole heart.
    Do right and fear no one.
    Keep a couple hundred rounds loaded in mags.
    Make sure all your loose ends are tied up
    and that today's a good day to die! ..

Quote Originally Posted by BackWoods08 View Post
    Your not "stuck" with the factory sights
    Ok, you're right. I should have said that I'm not going to spend the money on new sights until I have Jim do the whole rifle, especially since the factory sights are adequate for my current needs. I want to change them eventually, but for now they'll do.

Just want to know if the zero procedure is the same as the standard AK sights (as well as the BZO).
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS

1*
    Take Care and STAY SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by TennDECA View Post
    Ok, you're right. I should have said that I'm not going to spend the money on new sights until I have Jim do the whole rifle, especially since the factory sights are adequate for my current needs. I want to change them eventually, but for now they'll do.

Just want to know if the zero procedure is the same as the standard AK sights (as well as the BZO).

I had a Saiga for a little while but then I traded out for a kit so I never shot it it just sat in my safe in the box if you search there is a AK fourm with a saiga section you may ask there I would say its the 1 setting you can always give that a try and go from there
    Live for today.
    Look to the future.

Your not "stuck" with the factory sights you can do a simple change out with a standard AK sight and a flat screwdriver or drill press it's a 2 minute fix to a crappy set of sights
    What is "crappy" about the Saiga sights besides the fact that they are "only" marked for 300 meters?

Do I really need to be able to set my iron sights for longer distances than that? No, I don't.

Actually, I took my NIB Saiga x39 out to the range last weekend to break it in and attempt to zero the factory sights. Frankly, I'm fairly new to rifles (AK's in particular) and I thought I'd have a difficult time zeroing the sights. I was pleasantly surprised.

Now, I'm not sure what type of MOA I should expect from a bone-stock Saiga x39, but I was consistently knocking down bowling pins at 150 yards, from the bench, with the factory sights... WITHOUT TOUCHING THEM!

All I did was move the rear sight back to the BZO setting and after about 20 practice shots, was consistenly able to knock down bowling pins at 150 yards sitting at the bench and using the attached 30 rnd mag as a "unipod". I'm sure the sights could be fine-tuned, but for now, I'm happy.
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, ITLS

1*
    Take Care and STAY SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    What is "crappy" about the Saiga sights besides the fact that they are "only" marked for 300 meters?

Do I really need to be able to set my iron sights for longer distances than that? No, I don't.
    Ok so don't change them I was simply replying to a question as to how to do something YMMV
    Live for today.
    Look to the future.

Ok so don't change them I was simply replying to a question as to how to do something YMMV
    I was simply asking what's crappy about them.

If there is some real advantage to swapping in an AK sight leaf, I'd be interested to know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    I was simply asking what's crappy about them.

If there is some real advantage to swapping in an AK sight leaf, I'd be interested to know what it is.
    Not alot that I noticed when I did but I was given my leaf sight by a friend who ordered a KCI peep sight.

CS
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Default Meters/Feet/Yards - Newbie Question

OK, so I'm a newbie with a new M70ab2 that I'd like to zero in. It seems all of the talk here is about zeroing in at 25 meters and 100 meters. I get that the rifle & sights were designed for metric, but . . . My outdoor rifle range has fixed target holders at 25, 50, 100 & 200 YARDS! The pistol side where I can also fire the AK, has fixed targets at 15 yards and 25 yards. I can do the math to convert, but the targets are fixed. What method do I use under these circumstances? Would I use 25 yards and 100 yards?
    (My indoor range is 25 yards max)
    Thanks
    Last edited by onetuza; 01-19-2009 at 01:34 PM.

I wouldn't sweat this much, just use yards. At shorter ranges, the differences are often not even noticeable, unless you have an accurate rifle, decent ammo, and most importantly a good shooter.

Training would be the most important thing, when it comes to effective shot placement, in real life. (just IMO).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast