Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Defensive Pistol Skills class review

I finished the Defensive Pistol Skills class today, taught by Randy Harris, AKA "Cruel Hand Luke". I have to say I was very impressed. The class is billed as a basic pistol defense class, and that is what it can be taught as, but if you want a little more information, and the instructor believes you are at a point that you can deal with it, he is willing to provide some more advanced info and training that I think you would be hard pressed to be exposed to at other schools, especially in the early classes. I took this class to try and get some "formal" training prior to going to a more advance class that I was already registered for.
    The class covered all of the basics well, and everything was explained as to why it should be done this way, not just " that's the way it is suppose to be done", but logical reasons given for why this is the way. On occasion there was more than one way to do something and depending on what worked for you that was fine.
    The first day it was very cold, the wind was blowing and the chill factor was more than I am comfortable with. We did as much work as we could on the inside and by the time we went to the range it was actually kinda nice. We went through a lot of the things we learned inside, as well as a lot more new material, and worked way past time for the class to be over. Getting more than our money's worth no mater how you look at it.
    Day two we started off reviewing some of the first day, and then progressed from there. It was a little warmer on day two and we did not have as much to cover inside so we progressed to the range a little faster. Randy covered all the basics and made sure we all had a firm grasp of them and then through in a little more advanced training into the mix to wet our appetite for some of the more advanced classes.
    Bottom line is, the classroom facilities were fine, and will be improving, the range was good and even had the added benefit of shielding some of the wind off of us on Saturday. Randy is an excellent instructor and if you are a rank beginner or someone who is looking to just brush up on some of the fundamentals before jumping into some more advanced training I highly recomend this class. It provided exactly what I was looking for so I would be comfortable going into some of the more advanced classes. Thanks Randy, I am glad I saw this class mentioned on WT.

Fair Winds,
    Jim

Thanks Jim!

I was happy with how the class went even though we did have the weather issues to contend with. When it is 23 degrees at 9AM, you start rearranging your lesson plan to get most of your lecture topics covered indoors while you wait for the temperature to get above freezing;) . Moving some targets indoors and working draw stroke and dry firing inside also helped too. That way when we finally hit the range it was warmer and the guys were already dialed in on what they would be doing.

The facility that I am using has A LOT of potential. The way the individual shooting bays are constructed (berms on either side and downrange) did somewhat shield us from the wind, and provide the ability to shoot from 0 to 50 yards if we need to. The owners are really hyped about me being there and are willing to help me with whatever they can as far as improvements. In fact they are turning a vacant house into a "bunkhouse" for use as a class room (we used a garage this time) and also for lodging for students to stay there if they choose to.

THANK YOU to the guys in class I really enjoyed it and hope to see you guys again for further classes Thanks again!
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Way to go Randy. Glad to see you were so well received.
    "Most people find change in their dryer, I find bullets"- My wife

I will remember that if the monsterous creature is within clubbing range, it is a tight situation, and start clubbing. This is true even if my firearm still works. No reason not to club and shoot at the same time.

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

No surprise to me. Randy is a very squared away guy across the entire combatives spectrum. He trains hard, trains often, and it is no surprise to me that he would more than rise to this occasion. Plus he is one of the genuinely nicest guys I know.

Some of the most talented guys I know have hooked up with Gabe. I believe in the realm of reality-based training, Suarez International is seeing some of the creme de l' creme joining the fold.

Congrats!!!
    Last edited by Cold War Scout; 02-12-2007 at 09:14 AM.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Good job Randy!! I'm going to have to head south sometime to see you.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Thanks for the kind words guys! I really appreciate it.

Michael, I'm trying to get my schedule finalized for rest of the year, but be on the lookout for a shotgun class, rifle class, CRG, Urban AK with Paul Gomez, and Kalashnikov Gunfighting class with SonnyP down here this year. Good stuff on the way!
    NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

Default New instructers

Are any of you new instructers In Ga. If so let us know of your schedule/ciriculum as soon as you can. Thanks William Carter.

William,
    Check your PMs.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 02-13-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris
    Thanks for the kind words guys! I really appreciate it.

Michael, I'm trying to get my schedule finalized for rest of the year, but be on the lookout for a shotgun class, rifle class, CRG, Urban AK with Paul Gomez, and Kalashnikov Gunfighting class with SonnyP down here this year. Good stuff on the way!
    Cool! I'll try to make it to one if things work out here.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Great reviews Randy. Good job.
    "The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win" - Lombardi

"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good" - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

"I answer to a higher authority than the approval of men not worthy of my time" - Gabe Suarez

Train with Rick Klopp

Bio

CRG-4: Force on Force Gunfighting - April 8-9, 2017 - Albermarle, NC

Additional classes including AK Rifle Gunfighting, Force on Force and Advanced Trauma Medicine coming soon.