Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Glucosamine & Chondroitin?

I've been experiencing some joint problems - I think due to running. Is it worth taking glucosamine and chondroitin as a supplement? Do they do any good and what concentration should they be taken in?

HA, (hyaluronic acid), works for me. G&C was marginal at best.

I've read that G&C might be at its best when you add HA.

Worst case, your skin will look years younger!!!

Bruce
    Bruce Hinton, Memb. #173

'They', the jihaddi, may wear headbands with badges of martyrdom, affiliation, dedication to death. Should 'they' come your way, so attired, do not wonder if 'trouble' is on the way. It, too, has already come.

Bonus section:
    S&W Mo19 on the prowl?

In my experience, taking the 1500mg Glucosamine with MSM 3x/day did not eliminate the joint pain (my knees) but did shorten the recovery. Which was better than nothing.

I've heard from others that the liquid works better but it seems everyone has different results.

Good luck.

I've been reading about links between HA and cancer? Any thoughts?

I have heard so many contradictory things that I don't know what to believe about HA. I have always thought of it as one of the most benign things you can ingest. I take one or two 20mg. capsules a day, cause it helps my trashed elbow joint.

WebMD has nothing negative I could find. Some other informational sites, (apparently no doctors on staff), have stories of it being used as a binding agent to take anti-cancer drugs to the cancer cells, others say the remnants of broken-down HA is a problem in itself, aiding cancer spread.

Not enough mention of dose levels and oral v. injected delivery, etc.

All I know is I stay away from the evils of margarine, and have cut way down on my freedom fries since I learned that they can cause homicidal rage episodes, as well as cancer.

Bruce
    Bruce Hinton, Memb. #173

'They', the jihaddi, may wear headbands with badges of martyrdom, affiliation, dedication to death. Should 'they' come your way, so attired, do not wonder if 'trouble' is on the way. It, too, has already come.

Bonus section:
    S&W Mo19 on the prowl?

Glucosamine and chondroitin have worked great for me. It takes time for there to be a noticeable effect… like 4 to 6 weeks. I supplement 2 to 3 times a day with 1500 and 1200 mg respectively. My primary problem joints were knees and elbows; I have slightly modified my workout to lessen the stress on these body parts. Everyone is different, but it did and does work well for me.

Manwell

The doctor who did my knee surgery in 2001 told me that he does not usually recommend doing this and doing that, but he had seen enough information coming in regarding G and C that he thought there was probably something to it.

I take both. I can't say that I notice any difference one way or the other.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

I have taken it for several years. I was a competitive weight lifter in my youth and that took a toll on certain joints. As a previous poster said it does not eliminate pain, but I can tell that it lessens pain and that I recover from workouts quicker.
    Last edited by Steve7; 01-23-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks gents. On balance, I decided to order some.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

That said, it didn't work for me. I tried G & C for about 3 months, but did not notice much difference. I have had others I trust tell me that it worked well for them, so it is probably very body dependent.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**