SI 2014 Training
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez

ORDERED!!!!!! OST, has never let me down!!!! Well done Gabe. However, i'm sure Cheryl has something to do with it!!!;)

Default Suchka/Krinkov Question (Jim Fuller, or anyone who knows their way around the short A

[quote=Jim Fuller]The AK, simplicity at its best,
    I talk to people a lot about what to have on there AK's and it's always "what about this or that" I could certianly make $ selling them on something they don't need, but that's not the purpose of the AK
    K.I.S.S

Att. Jim Fuller or any other Krinkov folks.
    How long is the distinctive "Krink" muzzlebrake/"expanison chamber"?
    Remember the old CAR-15's "shorties" from "S.E.Asia war games" era? Had a baffled "suppressor" that really cut down on the muzzle flash as well as lessening the "bark" of the report.)

Question #1. is: Would a sound moderator/suppressor from SRT (to suggest just one manuf.), that was "permanently attatched" and aprox. 7" OAL so as to add 6" to the 10" barrel be worthwhile?

Advantages might be $200 registration for "short barreled rifle" would now go for something of positive value. (Damp all/nearly all of the flash and alot of the "Bang!")
    2. Would a 16" barrel/suppressor, however "neat", make the little AK handle virtually like a full-size AK?

3. Would the ACE side-folder make a nicer better handling "package" plus allowing a siderail for Kobra, etc. (plus adding a "U.S.-made part")

4. Is there a front handguard that does a better job of keping your paw off hot metal than the std. "issue" ones?

I've been carrying a borrowed woodstocked AK while feeding stock and doing chores.
    I am pretty sure a folder would be lighter and more comfortable to use as well as carry.
    (I have begun to see the AK as a "21st Century self-loading 30-30 Carbine".
    The Suchka/Krinkov might be a "Trappers' Model".;) )

Thanks,
    Dave3220

Questions from an AK noob...

I am acquiring an Arsenal SA-M7 A1R in a trade. This will be my first AK style rifle. I have only shot FAL's and hunting rifles to this point in my life. Regarding the "must have" upgrades...

What are Fuller rear sights? Is this a brand or a generalization? If a brand, can you provide a website?

What is a Shepard hook spring replacement plate? Where can I get one?

Which flash suppressor do you recommend? I see you have one with teeth, is it good? I currently run a Phantom on my FAL.

The modified selector lever. Is this as simple as bending it outward??

What is a G2 Trigger kit? Do I want the double or single hook? What's the diff?

Any and all help will be much appreciated. While I have handled and shot my friends Lancaster, I know NOTHING about these rifles.

Thanks in advance!!
    All to Jesus I surrender....everyone else put your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by ergceo
    Questions from an AK noob...

I am acquiring an Arsenal SA-M7 A1R in a trade. This will be my first AK style rifle. I have only shot FAL's and hunting rifles to this point in my life. Regarding the "must have" upgrades...

What are Fuller rear sights? Is this a brand or a generalization? If a brand, can you provide a website?

They are nice sights with the rear notch slightly enlarged for better pickup of the front sight post, not sure beyond that. You can buy them at One Source Tactical (OST), the link is in the upper right of your screen.

What is a Shepard hook spring replacement plate? Where can I get one?

It replace the piece of wire that holds your trigger group pins in place, that's shaped somewhat like a shepherd's hook, hence the name. The plate can once again be ordered from OST. I believe HGabe sells the Krebs one.

Which flash suppressor do you recommend? I see you have one with teeth, is it good? I currently run a Phantom on my FAL.

I like the Volverine, if you don't want sharp points, there's also the Fortress, same design, but looks like a castle on its side. Both available at. . .drum roll. . .OST.

The modified selector lever. Is this as simple as bending it outward??

Pretty much. Do a search, I believe there was a thread in the Kalashnikov section a little while back giving more details. Yours MAY not need this, see how it feels first.

What is a G2 Trigger kit? Do I want the double or single hook? What's the diff?

It's a replacement trigger group to replace the cheap ones that some importers use (Century for one) that have horrendous trigger slap (trigger rebounds hard onto the trigger finger). I can't say what trigger group Arsenal uses. When you get it, look at the left side of the trigger, if it's a G2, it'll say "Tapco G2" on the side. I think the general recommendation is for the single hook because it's a major pain to get both hooks of a double hook to release at the same time.

Any and all help will be much appreciated. While I have handled and shot my friends Lancaster, I know NOTHING about these rifles.

Thanks in advance!!
    Welcome aboard! Be sure to read the stickies and such, they'll get you up to speed fast.

One cheap thing is those plastic Tapco multi-colored front sight posts, I hate sighting in on a brush guard, while for me it is just embarrising for some of you it could be Double Plus Un-good. You get 5 different color posts for like 5 bucks, my Wasr 3 has a yellow one, my Saiga 7.62x39 has a red one, and my Saiga .223 has a orange one.

Yes you could paint it but this is just another option. :)

which one works best for you???

Thanks for the great info.
    All to Jesus I surrender....everyone else put your hands where I can see them.

Prairie Fire Guest
    Since finding this site and getting back into the Kalashnikov about a month ago, I've found a lot of good information on rifle mods that enhance the design as it is. My earlier problem with various AKs was trying to modify and run them like something other than an AK.

With suggestions from this and other threads, I've so far done the following (and I think I'm about done):

1) Did a dehorn all around, on every angle that was bothersome to run my finger across, all done with various files. Used 44-40 as a touchup, it seems the best of cold blue products, but it doesn't matter much how well it stays on. There's always paint, as others have said.

2) Did a rear sight mod, sort of per Jim Fuller but a more clipped corner blade shape as in a Wilson pistol sight. Since the front sight base was pretty good being vertical, I centered the top of the front sight post in the protective wings and did windage and elevation changes at the rear sight. The windage correction was done by opening up the notch in the desired direction, it's about half again as wide as it was. I'd replaced the 1000m leaf with an 800m one, this screwed up the vertical zero. I'd hoped to correct it by milling the slider (needed about .110" removed), but there wasn't going to be enough material to get this done. I ended up milling the rear sight base elevating rails.

The reasons for all of this work for elevation fixing, is because first, the shorter 800m blade does not get in the way like a 1000m blade does; and second, the ideas put forth in other stickies about using the FSB as a Caveman Eotech seem to require that the top of the front sight post be close to in the middle of the protective ears, in both axes.

3) An M16A2 flash hider

4) Bending out the selector lever away from the receiver (and in handling the gun, learning to leave it alone.)

5) Modifying the Tapco G2 trigger pull, to a two-stage pull. There is another sticky on this board called "Maximizing the AK...", on page 14 of it there is detailed advice on how to do this. Having a predictable release point is a nice change from the original, for more deliberate shots.

6) Putting a simple, cheap, and sturdy light mount on the lower handguard. The base is a Weaver #28, single slot. It's glued and screwed onto the wood. The ring is a low Weaver, with a large thumbscrew to get it on and off the base. The light is a SureFire G2. Its tailcap button is operated by the first knuckle of the support index finger.

I appreciate all of the advice that's been put out on this board for rifle modifications, and for keeping the mods and operation of the rifle simple.

Default People happy with arsenal

I also have a milled arsenal, and it, to me is the best factory ak, out there. I had a vepr but it was just too heavy. Otherwise it was every bit as nice as arsenal. Traded the veper for a polish, and some ammo. The polish is nice but not as slick inside as vepr or arsenal.

Default Safety lever adjustment.

What is the correct procedure to adjust the safety lever on a stamped AK? I have an SA85M that is way to tight.
    Thanks Dave

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast