SI 2014 Training
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am in total agreement regarding the G2 trigger group; after dithering around I finally installed the G2 on my LE patrol rifle, a Yugo underfolder. The improvement in trigger feel and elimination of "slap" is wonderful. I only wish I had taken Gabe's advice earlier!:D
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite"- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jcsd107
    I am in total agreement regarding the G2 trigger group; after dithering around I finally installed the G2 on my LE patrol rifle, a Yugo underfolder. The improvement in trigger feel and elimination of "slap" is wonderful. I only wish I had taken Gabe's advice earlier!:D
    I'm impressed! A cop with an AK for a patrol rifle,
    Bless you Sir, and PC be damed

Default Modifications: notes and questions

I'm getting into this AK business slowly but surely. I now own 4 of 'em with the recent edition of 2 Vector rifles which I have yet to shoot but by all indications they seem to be put together quite well.

Last night I installed an XS 24/7 front sight on one gun in combination with a Fuller rear sight and I like the sight picture of this combination. I am alittle leery of having to retain the sight post with a set screw and locktite but we'll have to see how this holds up.

I had some problems with the installation of the rear sight. I used a "Campy" tool to get the old sight off and the new sight on. After getting the new sight on there was no tension at all between the leaf spring and the rear sight. I still haven't figured out how I managed to accomplish that! I ended up prying on the leaf spring with a screw driver to bend it and get more tension between the spring and sight. I then took the spring out of the sight base and dicked around with it for hours never getting more than alittle retaining pressure. So I've ordered a couple more springs since this spring is now loose in the sight base. I guess I bent it with the campy tool past the point of return? Attempts to bend it back have only screwed it up worse. Anyone else have this problem?

Next up was installation of a retaining plate (red star arms) to replace the shepherds crook. That was simple enough. I noticed that the retaining plate is much thinner than the notches in the pivot pins. The result of which is noticable play (in and out) of the pivot pins and in the case of the trigger pin, some up and down play on the left side of the receiver. Anyone see any potential problems with this over the long haul?

Couple final questions. Does anyone see a need for or have opinions on Blackjack buffers? Additionally one of the guns has a loose lower handguard/forend. The wood is really nice and I'd like to keep it but need to fix the fit. I'm thinking acraglass...comments?

Quote Originally Posted by chono
    I'm getting into this AK business slowly but surely. I now own 4 of 'em with the recent edition of 2 Vector rifles which I have yet to shoot but by all indications they seem to be put together quite well.

Last night I installed an XS 24/7 front sight on one gun in combination with a Fuller rear sight and I like the sight picture of this combination. I am alittle leery of having to retain the sight post with a set screw and locktite but we'll have to see how this holds up.

I had some problems with the installation of the rear sight. I used a "Campy" tool to get the old sight off and the new sight on. After getting the new sight on there was no tension at all between the leaf spring and the rear sight. I still haven't figured out how I managed to accomplish that! I ended up prying on the leaf spring with a screw driver to bend it and get more tension between the spring and sight. I then took the spring out of the sight base and dicked around with it for hours never getting more than alittle retaining pressure. So I've ordered a couple more springs since this spring is now loose in the sight base. I guess I bent it with the campy tool past the point of return? Attempts to bend it back have only screwed it up worse. Anyone else have this problem?

Next up was installation of a retaining plate (red star arms) to replace the shepherds crook. That was simple enough. I noticed that the retaining plate is much thinner than the notches in the pivot pins. The result of which is noticable play (in and out) of the pivot pins and in the case of the trigger pin, some up and down play on the left side of the receiver. Anyone see any potential problems with this over the long haul?

Couple final questions. Does anyone see a need for or have opinions on Blackjack buffers? Additionally one of the guns has a loose lower handguard/forend. The wood is really nice and I'd like to keep it but need to fix the fit. I'm thinking acraglass...comments?
    Chono
    The leaf spring can be a problem if you take it out of the gun and overbend it that should put enough pressure on it to hold the rear sight tight.
    reguarding the play in the trigger/hammer pins, the in and out shouldn't be a problem,I have a few AK's with e-clips holding the pins which move in and out and haven't had any problems but up and down on the trigger pin could be. I've never seen one with play up and down but if it's a lot it could cause the gun to double, You may need a new trigger pin, there is a shoulder on the trigger pin that should fill the hole in the receiver and not allow up and down movement, how much up and down movement is there ?

Jim,

My choice of an AK for a patrol rifle was a matter of affordability and reliability. The fact that it gives PC'ers and other assorted liberals the vapors is a happy bonus!:D
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite"- Sir Winston Churchill

Jim - I took the leaf spring out last night and over bent it. The problem I found was that the more I bend the spring ( the higher the end is) and the farther away from the front of the sight block the end is. This makes it impossible to get a purchase on it with the campy tool. How the hell anybody does this with a screw driver I don't know ! Anyway 2 new springs are on the way. The one in the gun has been worked over by this amateur, pretty damn well.

I've also ordered several pivot pins. I figured what the hell, they only cost a couple of bucks. The up and down movement is minimal. I checked the disconnector engagement with the hammer and it is deep and positive. My concern was that continued movement of the pins might contribute to premature wear of the receiver holes and/or pins themselves......leading to ever increasing movement and eventual problems. Probably not an issue but since the shepherds crook held the pins much tighter than the retaining plate, I figured I'd ask.

Jim - I took the leaf spring out last night and over bent it. The problem I found was that the more I bend the spring ( the higher the end is) and the farther away from the front of the sight block the end is. This makes it impossible to get a purchase on it with the campy tool. How the hell anybody does this with a screw driver I don't know ! Anyway 2 new springs are on the way. The one in the gun has been worked over by this amateur, pretty damn well.

I've also ordered several pivot pins. I figured what the hell, they only cost a couple of bucks. The up and down movement is minimal. I checked the disconnector engagement with the hammer and it is deep and positive. My concern was that continued movement of the pins might contribute to premature wear of the receiver holes and/or pins themselves......leading to ever increasing movement and eventual problems. Probably not an issue but since the shepherds crook held the pins much tighter than the retaining plate, I figured I'd ask.
    Chono,
    I have one of those tools but I don't use it, I use a modified c-clamp it's harder to use but works better. If you choose to try, get a c-clamp and cut the swivel off with a dremil exposing the ball end. Remove the lower handguard and attach the c-clamp under the barrel with the ball end on the rear of the leaf spring, as you tighen the c-clamp the spring will lower. Lower it just enough to get the sight to slide in the grooves( the sight must be 90 degrees to the gun) don't lower the spring low enough for the sight to slide in easily as you will over bend the spring, with the sight partially in the groove tap it the rest of the way in with a screwdriver or punch. This method works but the c-clamp sometimes slips off, it's a pain.

I wouldn't worry about the holes in the reciever wearing as they are heat treated. If you still have movement of the trigger pin with a new pin then the hole may be to large. What brand of rifle is it ?

Jim - The rifle is a Vector fixed stock built on a Global Trades 1mm receiver. I haven't taken the FCG out of the gun yet but the pivot pins show some finish wear on the heads which might indicate that they are slightly worn. When I get the new pins, we'll see.

I'm going try the C-clamp method with the new leaf spring. Good idea, as it will free up both hands to tap the sight out of its base.

Thanks for your help!

Jim - The rifle is a Vector fixed stock built on a Global Trades 1mm receiver. I haven't taken the FCG out of the gun yet but the pivot pins show some finish wear on the heads which might indicate that they are slightly worn. When I get the new pins, we'll see.

I'm going try the C-clamp method with the new leaf spring. Good idea, as it will free up both hands to tap the sight out of its base.

Thanks for your help!
    If it's a Global Trades reciever the trigger pin hole will be spec, they actually run on the tight side. let us know how it goes

Default Jim...

I'm looking to replace my November purchased Century WASR-10 wood buttstock with a Romy folder. I'm not really up on the parts thing but have a list of the 922 "imported parts". Checking around, I went to CheaperTD and found this write-up:
    Manufacturer: Cheaper Than Dirt! - Mfr#
    AK-47 Side Folding Stock Original Military metal side folding stock for the Romanian and other stamped receiver AK47 rifles, easy to install but not legal to install on guns imported after 1984, check local laws before ordering.
    Other locations with the same folder do not have this restriction.

Please enlighten me re replacing this stock with this folder.

All info appreciated.

Thanks.
    -AndyB
    --As Always... For Whatever The Value

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast