The Suarez Method
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default Essential Additions To The Kalashnikov

I've been running AKs exclusively now for two years. My one remaining AR is collecting dust in the armory. For me, the AK is just about the perfect Klingon weapon offering not only projectiles, but all othe manner of hard, sharp and pointy surfaces to kill with.

That said, I have done certain things to all of my AKs. They do not change the weapon and make it run better.

1). Fuller rear sights. The Fuller rear sights have a larger notch and allow a much faster and just as refined sight picture for the times you use a sight picture. They are also the 800 meter variety and not the 1000 meter type thus are shorter and much more compact. The rounded profile is much less prone to snagging on vegetation.

2). Shepard hook spring replacement plate. One Source will eventually be making its own version of this one. It is one of the first things I replace on my working AKs.
    I have seen the standard spring walk out on rifles after a great deal of shooting. The shepard hook replacement plate not only prevents this, but allows for easy and quick removal of internal parts if you choose to do that.

3). Flash suppresor. All fighting weapons need one. If your AK does not have one (and don’t cry to me about how it won’t be PC) figure out a way to add one. There are plenty of good ones around.

4). Modified selector lever. To facilitate its use, bend it out board slightly so it is easily operable with the fingers. This is an easy fix that you can do with any AK that falls into your hands.

5). G2 Trigger kit. Think of it as a drop in triger job. They are US made and easy to install. All of my Aks…even my WASRs have these installed.

That is it. You can certainly get other things for your AK, but these are the bare bones, but also essentials.

For me, the ACE folding stock made a huge difference in the ergonomics for my body type. I shoot my AK much better now. The rifle points better now and once I have a good cheek weld, the sights are perfectly placed in front of my eyes.

For me, it is a must have.
    AKA G30Jack

See My Schedule

"Most people find change in their dryer, I find bullets"- My wife

I will remember that if the monsterous creature is within clubbing range, it is a tight situation, and start clubbing. This is true even if my firearm still works. No reason not to club and shoot at the same time.

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

Al Lipscomb Guest
    Gabe, what do you use for a sling?

ARL,

I uses a three foot long cotton webbing that I attached to the rifle with fastex sliders. Its not a three figure sling from a famous maker, but it does what I want a sling to do. Cost- A whopping $3.00.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ight=slingwork

The AK, simplicity at its best,
    I talk to people a lot about what to have on there AK's and it's always "what about this or that" I could certianly make $ selling them on something they don't need, but that's not the purpose of the AK
    K.I.S.S

Jim Fuller

Default Cotton vs. Nylon

Gabe, Any preference of sling material? I've read both nylon and cotton. I started out w/ tubular nylon 1" and it seemed to work fine till I shot the front buckly off in one of the drills. Since then I've tried nylon seatbelt material 1.5" and the wider sling was more comfortable, but the non-tubular sling wasn't bulky enough to stay threaded in the buckles.
    Point being I'm now looking for 1/5" tubular nylon; however it seems that if I can get the ends sewn at my tailor's shop I might have an easier time finding 1.5" cotton for a sling.
    A man of courage is also a man of faith. -Cicero

Do a search for cotton webbing. See if they sell it in Olive Drab Green or Tan. Then buy a 15 foot lenght. Cut it, sew the ends and buy some sliders. You are now good to go.

Sure the XS front is a nice addition. My original post was essentials and as nice as the XS is, it is not essential. Incidentally, I spoke with them a few days ago and they have a new version that they will be sending out to me for T&E.

I've done all of those except the Fuller rear sights (will they attach to a Yugo?).
    i recent;y found a great sling for the AK -- it's an old Mosin Nagant sling. Just run the dog collars through the attach points. Very comfortable, much better than other AK slings, and are almost as cheap as buying cotton webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by CplPunishment
    I've done all of those except the Fuller rear sights (will they attach to a Yugo?).
    Yes, they will.