SI 2014 Training
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jack-O is offline Doom and Gloom Pinhead Banned By Admin
    I'll pop my 2 cents worth of experience in here for ya'll too

I've had that c-clamp sight tool with the hole that was too small and wouldn't push a darn thing ever. I drilled the hole a wee bit larger and it worked great since then.

The front drum is usually marked with a dimple or electro pencil at the factory zero setting. this is usually a great place to start or to default too.

I verified the the elevation settings on an Yugo SKS this last weekend. They were also seconded to me by another source as reasonably close to 8MOA per 1 rotation. if i do the math correctly and use some approximation i get that the AK sight adjustments would be about 7MOA per rotation. (SKS sight base = 17.5" AK=15")

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fuller
    At this point I use my 12 ton arbor press but I know most don't have one of these.
    Would a 1 ton arbor press work? Not that I have a problem with the BFH apporach, but, I don't have a workbench and vise setup yet. My arbor press can work anywhere.

For some of you needing additional justification before buying the tool, it also works on most SKS models (sometimes the Yugo is problematic).

Just trying to be helpful :D
    -Scott

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    - C.S. Lewis

WIG19 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrScott View Post
    For some of you needing additional justification before buying the tool, it also works on most SKS models (sometimes the Yugo is problematic).

Just trying to be helpful :D
    Thanks! And to everyone else for the nuggets. And you are right; there is no counting the "friends" I made once I actually purchased a Glock sight tool. But appreciate the intel. Not quite tracking the thread, but are you saying the OST tool is also useable for SKS? (#1 son has one of those.)

I just marked (refuse to say 'celebrate') the election by picking up a Romanian and some ammo; will clean it up tonight. I love the Glock platform and I appreciate, as Gabe would say, "caveman simple."

There isn't much I plan to do to the gun except acquire a simple sling; I think the 2-point Israeli style will do fine. But I do want it to shoot where I aim roughly so initial sight adjustment is topic of interest. And when you mention the OST tool, you're talking about the guy here?
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=719

Have to say, while I love playing with daughter's personal AR when she's downrange, I'd probably not drop it on my neighbors gravel driveway any more than a finely tuned Python. My vanilla Glocks or my new AK - tools. The AK is going to get alot of trigger time.:D

Thanks again for continuing to pass along all the tips on a timeless platform.
    :D

I keep a sight tool (I think I bought it from OST) in the glove box of the truck. But I have to tell you that I just cannot get that front sight on my two Chinese guns to move without a brass drift and a good sized hammer.
    God is God, and I am not.

I have two Saigas, one is a Legion. The B Square elevation tool wasn't cut deep enough to gain a solid purchase on the threaded section of the sight post.

There are some slight difference in the front sight towers (right word??). While attempting to move the front sight on a Saiga last weekend I first thought the tool would not work but then realized it was not aligning properly so that the drum and the hole in the sight were aligned (crank it till you bend it, but it still won't move if misaligned). It took a few attempts to get aligned properly, but it worked once aligned.

Then I wanted to know why it aligned so easialy on the WASR but was a pain in the butt on the Saiga. The Saiga has ribs running up and down the outside surfaces of the front sight tower (??). This makes the tool "twist" out of alignment when you begin to turn the t-handle unless you're careful about holding it in alignment until it it tight enough that it won't slide around anymore. I don't know if the Saiga's are the only ones with the vertical ribs on the sight tower or not.

8. For what it's worth...

I have an AK/SKS front sight tool similar to the one sold by Tapco. It also fits the VZ-58, a clone of which I recently acquired. Even after soaking the '58's windage drum in Kroil I could not budge it, until I clamped the sight adjustment tool's handle with a Vise Grip for more leverage. It then moved fairly easily.

Something to try before grabbing the BFH.

k so i got a new ak and am attempting to adjust the front sight with a tapco tool. I got it move only after using a pipe wrench to turn the tool, however the drum got stuck to the tool and i had to completely remove it. Does anyone know a good way to put it back into the hole so it is centered, short of a jackhammer.

I use a hammer and a brass drift. I have not been able to make those little vice tools work worth a darn. But I don't have any trouble adjusting the sight with my hammer.
    God is God, and I am not.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast