Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smince View Post
    This past Sunday night's episode (10/05/2008) of "The Unit" showed improvised weapons pretty well.

Three members of the team were on an airliner that was hijacked. They used seatbelts and buckles, a can of soda in a towel, a broken CD, etc., to overcome the hijackers and take their weapons. Fictional, sure, but some good ideas brought into play.
    I recorded it, but unfortunately the DVR only got part of it due to something running over before it came on.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    I recorded it, but unfortunately the DVR only got part of it due to something running over before it came on.
    Football ran over about 1/2 hr. You can watch full episodes on CBS.com/the unit usually.

I do try tp practice with various types of flexible weapons - my favorite being the power cord on a computer/monitor. Used to hit my BOB alot, but haven't had that for a while. Extension cords as whip chains are a bit harder to practice as you need space.

That said, I'm not practicing nearly enough. Not even with 'traditional' weapons, let alone improvised.
    The Way of the warrior is to master the virtue of his weapons
    This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn. - Miyamoto Musashi

Shot placement may be king, but capacity is the prime minister. - garrettwc

Ehre über alles! Author unknown

Two roads diverged in a wood [a]nd I took the one less traveled by; And that has made all the difference - Robert Frost

Lots of good suggestions, the bulk trending towards flexible weaponry.

Caleq made a good point about training.

Striking with a flexible weapon requires committed movement (i.e. launching it and striking THROUGH the target).

Here's a little vid I made with a Shomer-Tec Sap Cap,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuDwvlziS8

the method of striking can be extrapolated to a kusari-fundo (aka manriki-gusari) (-fundo techniques is where I derived my cap striking from) or any of the computer cord, sock w/ nickels, belts, etc. options.

Sap Cap can be purchased at:

http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/sap-cap-94.cfm

And James Keating made his own little Sap Cap video (a little longer than mine, but better quality)

https://www.shomer-tec.com/media/vid..._optimized.mov

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDude72 View Post
    Lots of good suggestions, the bulk trending towards flexible weaponry.

Caleq made a good point about training.

Striking with a flexible weapon requires committed movement (i.e. launching it and striking THROUGH the target).

Here's a little vid I made with a Shomer-Tec Sap Cap,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuDwvlziS8

the method of striking can be extrapolated to a kusari-fundo (aka manriki-gusari) (-fundo techniques is where I derived my cap striking from) or any of the computer cord, sock w/ nickels, belts, etc. options.

Sap Cap can be purchased at:

http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/sap-cap-94.cfm

And James Keating made his own little Sap Cap video (a little longer than mine, but better quality)

https://www.shomer-tec.com/media/vid..._optimized.mov
    what's the weight? and what is it loaded with?
    does the pouch stand out at all?
    "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known". - Sydney Carton, A Tale of Two cities - Charles Dickens

It's roughly a pound.

The weight pouch blends pretty well, though it does swell outwards some.
    (Wouldn't escape exhaustive scrutiny.)
    Otherwise, people only notice when they physically handle the cap itself.

Honestly, a baseball cap even without the weight is useful as a shield and entangling implement (assuming you are trained properly and continue to train regularly).

For the plane: Roll of quarters in your pocket...slipped into the inside of your flight magazine (provided by the carrier in the front pouch in front of you), once unrolled and placed in the center after removal of the staples, rolled up makes for a nice impact device.....Doc:D

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Copied over from Fighting Terrorism. Let's get some discussion on this going. A free man is NEVER Unarmed.

1) Every man should buy a Blackhawk or Wilderness Tactical belt to fly with.

No. Two of them. One to hold your pants up and the other to carry doubled over as a spare....and as an inprovised skull crushing sap. Yes, you will have to take it off so the nice men at TSA won't get rattled when you go through the metal detector.

Small inconevience when you are swinging it while running up the aisle at hadji the hijacker screaming like Braveheart.

2). A Carabiner. never know when you might want to rapple off the mountain.

Mine has been hanging off my carry on for years. Its been to Arica, Europe, Central and South America and just about every place in the USA.

A little imagination and killer instinct will give you an idea of its dual use.

3). A nice hard pocket flashlight. Not the teenie-weenie ones, but one that sticks out on both sides of your fist.

No, you won't be able to carry so easily in your 5.11 pants, but it will be much more useful in illumimnating the path to the virgins for the poor bastards that want to hijack your plane.

4). Nice rugged hard boots that lace up and are good for stomping the excrement out of someone. Steel toes are even better.

Yes, grasshopper, you will need to take them off so the TSA people will not be upset. That is a small inconvenience when you consider how well a send off they will give hadji on his way to unconsciuosness.

Just step aside and let Abdullah and Mohammed pass you in the security line while you untie you ass stompers.

Simple gear and a dark ill-intentioned heart will save the day.
    Some more lethal items you could add to your list. Pens, pencils, keys and other misc common sense objects. The possibilities are endless. I always have a sturdy pen and keys on me for this reason while flying. Easier to explain to TSA then a tac light or tac light with impact crown. Another good one you can get away with is a heavy duty lock. Throw it in a sock or in a bag (I had a troubled childhood...lmao) and it will do some serious damage. The same type of weapon as the belt you speak of. I think low profile common everyday stuff is the key. Things no one would question at all.

Looking forward to the new book.
    Last edited by Kafr; 01-05-2009 at 04:26 AM.
    "The path to enlightenment is littered with bodies of the ignorant."

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Gear I have for sale
    Knives I have for sale

A question regarding the Wilderness/Sneaky-type belts: I have both a standard Wilderness, and one of their thicker gun belts with the liner. Which might be better to be used as an improvised weapon: the heavier, thicker, but less flexible one, or the more flexible belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    I remember reading about a woman who was arrested by TSA who tried to carry one on a plane in Tampa. Not sure about the outcome, but the dime-store security guard believed it was a sap.
    A broken clock is right once a day anyway.