Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grimel
    Buy composite toed boots. We go through detectors everyday. We HAVE to wear composite toed boots to prevent the delay from taking off our boots every time. ;)

edit to add:

Bates Enforcers has a nice 6" pair with side zippers for easy on and off.
    I agree. The guy who is the center of attraction at the boot party is not going to know the difference.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Timbs
    I like the book weight idea , has anyone played with it yet ?
    I remember reading about a woman who was arrested by TSA who tried to carry one on a plane in Tampa. Not sure about the outcome, but the dime-store security guard believed it was a sap.
    Last edited by Chicago; 09-14-2007 at 02:18 PM.

I'm taking a cross country flight this week and was inspired by this thread to polish up my 5 hole Dr Martin boots. They have great non slip soles. Blood and brain matter is slippery and I'd not want the last thing Hadji to see is me falling on my arse:) :)

A tip from my days as a soccer fan back in the UK. A sharpened up credit card makes a nice cutting tool. Change and a sock has already been covered but that was another soccer favorite.

Before I retired (pre 9/11) I did a fair amount of federal work which meant courthouse security. I carry a mini mag lite on my keyring. When it was a black one I was occasionally asked to leave it with security. When it was a red one, other than turning it on to verify it was a lite, it got through every time. (SOUNDS LIKE DISCRIMINATION!)

I had a 2 inch "accordion file" as my portable office in my big litigation briefcase. I always had a full size stapler, a knife like staple puller, a small pair of scissors, at least a half dozen sharpened pencils, my Cross stainless steel pen and pencil set in my shirt pocket. a rolled up rubber banded copy of the "federal rules of evidence" a steel 2 cigar pocket humidor and a zippo lighter. They opened the zippo every time and I bitched because they lost my "spare flint" They always held my cell phone, they were bigger back then. I always had a few extra "Acco" fasteners (sharpened) and an assortment of large clip binders. No one ever questioned the few times I carried in an easel, which when with legs retracted was still "Louisville Slugger" material.

I know that lawyers who are courthouse regulars get minimal screening; but I could have carried in an RPG with an evidence sticker and asked security to carry it to the courtroom. ;)

I know it is a lot tighter now but one only wonders........

Choirboy

If someone were wanted to sharpen a credit card, how would it be done? just file an edge? Is there a prefered method?

FB6

Quote Originally Posted by firebird6
    If someone were wanted to sharpen a credit card, how would it be done? just file an edge? Is there a prefered method?
    Emery cloth. Use it like sand paper.

Thinking about this you're going to end up with a pretty mild slashing weapon that is only good at producing shallow cuts against bare skin. I know Steven Segal takes out several Russian hitmen in "Glimmer man" with one, but I don't think it is a weapon of choice against motivated and capable adversaries.

To sharpen a credit card use no power tools they melt the plastic. I use a file with the card in a padded vise. Sharpen one long end and one short end. That corner should have a sharp point. Try slashing a piece of raw beef with it. It is not a K-Bar. It does not hold an edge, you can't shave with it. Look at what it does to a roast. A good shot should take out a Carotid. A raking across the forehead will blood blind a BG.

Choirboy

As I consider this topic, I have realized that we are not really talking about improvised weapons but rather about pre-planned and deniable weapons. True improvisation is being attacked at dinner and cracking the aggressor's skull with a ketchup bottle; it is using whatever you happen to have at hand, without any pre-planning to make specific items available. What we are really doing is costuming weapons as other items. This gives us much greater flexibility. In true improv, that carabiner will not have paracord wrapped around half of its length to provide you with grip. In our scenario, we have the luxury of planning in advance and wrapping that 'biner up.

The previous comments about backpack frame material got me thinking about ways to shield and conceal weapons as part of a piece of luggage. If the "weapon" were fabricated as part of your luggage, it should pass through security. Once through security, the item could be removed and made accessible. I haven't come up with an idea for edged weapons, but sticks could be carried through in this manner. Imagine a canvas bag which has a pair of plastic (nylon/polypro/whatever) rods inserted along the bottom to provide rigid support for the bag. Make the rods 22" long (max carry-on length) and 3/4" diameter. You would have a miniature pair of escrima sticks.

I once had an ab exerciser that was a 6" wheel (of the lawn mower variety) with handles sticking out each side of the hub. Refabricate such a device but make the handles a solid rod, extending 16-18" through the hub of the wheel. Once through security, just pull the rod out and place the wheel in your bag.

The normal carry-on rollaboard bag has a handle which extends from the bag, made of two telescoping tubes. If you re-designed this apparatus, you could make the extending tubes single solid pieces, rather than the flimsy telescoping 2-, 3-, and 4-piece tubes. Make the tubes of solid aluminum, with quickly releasable pins that will separate them from both the bag and the upper handle. Voila! You have two aluminum sticks with which to wage war.

That last idea would require a lot of machining and work, and might quickly become prohibitively expensive. The first two ideas are certainly possible and within reach. Once you make anything sharp or pointy, the TSA will cue up on it. But if you stick to blunt impact weapons, it becomes too difficult for them to regulate. Imagine a ruling prohibiting "cylindrical tubes or similar objects" of some length or material. It would destroy air travel. (TSA: "I'm sorry, sir. I'm going to have to remove the handle from your rollaboard because it is a dense and roughly cylindrical object.")

I had an idea for an air travel weapon the other day that would be wonderful if it works, but I'm not sure that it will work. My wife and I decided to take up tennis. As I was spinning the racquet in my hand, I quickly regained the movements that I had once spent so much time learning with sticks and commas. A standard tennis racquet could be used in a pinch. But what I really started imagining was a specially-made aluminum racquet with just a bit of an edge around the head. Put some neon paint on it, and you would look like a modern metrosexual. But I checked the TSA regs, and the tennis racquet is not mentioned. It falls to the "discretion" of the screeners. That is something that cannot be relied upon, so I wouldn't want to depend upon having access to that particular tool in flight.

With a little planning and handiwork, I think we could come up with some pretty effective tools that would pass TSA scrutiny. But none of them can be high-production items or the TSA will learn about them and send out a memo prohibiting them.
    Last edited by LawDog; 09-18-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    Virtute et Armis

Rolled up magazine makes an impact weapon. Airlines supply them free of charge :D
    Three Precious Metals: Gold, Silver and Lead

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley Jr.

Tactical umbrella. With video. They are available in the States. They have or did have another site listing these. About $150.00.

http://shop.tacticalthings.com/produ...roducts_id=372
    Last edited by 2 dogs; 10-19-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    On a quest for perfect political incorrectness.