Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Noladishu, Karjakistan (aka New Orleans, LA)
    Sharpie now makes a stainless steel marker. I've used it as an improve hammer on occasion, and I find it can stand up to some abuse. Could break a window in case of an emergency.

Two belts: not a bad idea. Mixed with heavy/leather jacket, one could easily be wrapped around your weak-side forearm to protect arm/face/neck in case sharp objects were coming at you. If long enough, the buckle could double as some hard knuckles...in case you had to break through some glass in an emergency evac...or some other scenario...

I like crossword puzzles to pass time. I'm not very good at them tho, so I keep a few sharpened pencils with me.

Small scissors with less than 4" blades, as approved for carry on by TSA.

These come apart for easy cleaning:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The retractable key chain is kinda neat, but I would prefer the Key-Bak because the uncoated chain can cut like a flexible saw. When I was a kid, I had one and the other kids kept grabbing the keys and yanking them out and letting them go. I was never able to get my hand there in time to stop them until one day I did manage to grab the chain as it was going out. Got a real nasty cut on the palm of my hand. Be good for a little pay-back for those beheading videos that were making the rounds a few years ago.
    WA2WMR on QRZ.com
    ARRL Field Day 2012
    Hope is when you buy a lottery ticket.

I second the comments made about the "mindset". The tools are one thing, the practice, training and mental preparedness is another thing.

But to be honest, you don't need to plan on improvised weapons on airplanes...

Last time I went to NYC from Europe, they removed every sharp object from my luggage, and they searched the bags carefully.

When I was on board, I received a nice stainless steel steak knife with my lunch...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    1) Every man should buy a Blackhawk or Wilderness Tactical belt to fly with.
    Will the sneaky belt from OST still work?

Sharpie makes steel tubed markers with replaceable tips for 6 bucks at Wally-Mart...
    Mean Little F@&$%r

"Be smart enough to avoid most problems, mean enough to strike first, and tough enough to fight back if you get hit."

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Dalai Lama

I always carry my hard plastic comtech stinger when I fly. I have never been asked or bothered by the TSA guys over it. Last month I was asked a lot of questions over my metal tactical pen. They let me pass with it, but I got the look of TSA death.
    Buy a gun today, Tomorrow may be to late!!
    Always check your six
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Gotta love Keating's little stingers, got one for everyone in the family, easy to carry and has never been questioned.

Default Distraction

A lot of good ideas in this thread. One thing I would like to suggest is simple distraction. What does every human do when they get water/dirt/anything thrown in their face? We have an automatic reaction to protect our face with our hands. This opens up the body. In my martial arts class we regularly practice a move that simulates throwing something in the adversary's face, followed by an uppercut to the solar plexus and a knee to the bent over face. Some of the ideas here require some preplanning, but everyone can get a bottle of water/magazine/whatever on a flight and throw it in someones face. Like everything though, it sounds easy but requires some practice. Anyway just my 2 cents.

A good pair of .MIL Wool Socks in your carry on...place one sock inside the other, place 12oz can of coke into sock, tie a know at the top, grasp ahead of the knot, swings like a pro...apply as necessary...

CRG-Suarez International Combat Pistol Instructor

SIG SAUER CERTIFIED ARMORER M400, 516, 716, M4, AR15, M16