Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default katrina

In the described scenario, there are of coarse advantages to both cals. For ar/5.56 lighter weight means you can carry more rounds. With the ak something people don't think about this problem; after a disaster if you are seen by police or nat. guard with an ak guess what? They will see you as a gangster or a terrorist. Don't believe me? Ask a cop or mil. guy. At least with ar you might be mistaken for a gov. troop, or a cop. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by William Carter
    In the described scenario, there are of coarse advantages to both cals. For ar/5.56 lighter weight means you can carry more rounds. With the ak something people don't think about this problem; after a disaster if you are seen by police or nat. guard with an ak guess what? They will see you as a gangster or a terrorist. Don't believe me? Ask a cop or mil. guy. At least with ar you might be mistaken for a gov. troop, or a cop. Just a thought.
    I know we've hashed this out before in discussion, but I believe the consensus was that unless you were in uniform (military or LE) anyone with a rifle is going to be suspect regardless of the actual silhouette recognition.

I'd agree that the AK is generally denigrated as an evil rifle by most people in the US, but in these situations the government is going to look at all arms as evil weapons that only the authorities are allowed to have at such a time.
    Section1

"If war is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful."

C.S. Lewis

"Me? I think all of that is a load of gun school crap. I train and teach to shoot them to the ground. Beginning at the chest I shoot a burst to the chest and run the line up til I get to the face. Winning their hearts and minds....Suarez style."

Gabe Suarez

anyone have thoughts on just having one of those windbreakers that in iridescent words POLICE can be pulled down to be visible in the fron and back or subtely tucked under. it would also give the attacker a moments hesitation if you yelled "police"

some people may think twice about shooting at leo... or may just be more sneaky.

Al Lipscomb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrine
    anyone have thoughts on just having one of those windbreakers that in iridescent words POLICE can be pulled down to be visible in the fron and back or subtely tucked under. it would also give the attacker a moments hesitation if you yelled "police"

some people may think twice about shooting at leo... or may just be more sneaky.
    I think that the potential trouble (from both sides) would make this a big no-no.

doo doo 6 Guest
    wolf makes a 154gr 7.62x39 that is a cover killer. I keep a couple of mags handy for just such a need.

While a LE windbreaker or jacket might cause problems re impersonating, I don't think the same would be true of a baseball hat. One with FBI, NYPD, LASD, etc could be justified as a momento and while probably not being of much assistance with scrotes would possibly cause a moments refrain with LE personnel that could avert an undesirable conclusion to the encounter.
    "Many men are able, most aren't willing"
    J.B. Books

Or just get a windbreaker that says "security".

That way, you aren't impersonating anyone (you ARE providing security for your property, yes?) so long as you don't have any security company's patch on you.

Quote Originally Posted by CplPunishment
    Or just get a windbreaker that says "security".

That way, you aren't impersonating anyone (you ARE providing security for your property, yes?) so long as you don't have any security company's patch on you.
    Some states also heavily regulate the wearing/display of Secuirty items as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Swain
    Some states also heavily regulate the wearing/display of Secuirty items as well.
    I'll be honest, and wear one that reads: "INSECURITY"

Regarding 7.62x39 vs 5.56x45, I think either will do. I prefer the bigger, heavier bullet, and the AK platform, so that's my choice.

I'll carry a few spare rounds of 5.56x45 in case any of you guys run out. Coin of the realm.
    DPS
    PSP
    CRG
    KRG
    0-5
    TASI
    APSP

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Swain
    Really? Damn, can't do anything these days. . .