Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Drawing Against The Drop

I have followed Gabes teachings from Close Range Gunfighting for about a year and have become familiar with the moves and jargon. I have incorporated them into my training program. However, the Thanksgiving 2006 Suarez Int'l Update on "Drawing Against The Drop" has left me totally confused. Can someone explain the move to me in terms I can relate to? For instance, what is Blading? What kind of Parry is called for? Is there a video of the movement somewhere that I can see and begin to train with?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim Thomas
    jajthoma@yahoo.com

Al Lipscomb Guest
    Blading is turning your body sideways to the adversary in order to present the smaller target area. I have not read the mail in depth yet but the normal parry would be to take the support hand and use it to move the gun in the opposite direction you are moving.

Gauntes wrote the article so let me leave the rest for him.

I trained this move with Gabe in Atlanta earlier this year… It was very interesting and a real eye opener. It involves turning your body sideways while stepping forward to the left or right. Got shot every time; that was the eye opener part. Of course, in the practice scenario the BG already knew what you were going to do. Still the best move I’ve ever seen.

Manwell

Let's not forget that in real life, with real guns, it worked.

I am surprised that it didn't work in practice. When we drilled it at the June & September Spokane camps with Guantes supervising, it worked every time, including little Jill against very big & strong Positive Rate.

The draw and shot has to be unconscious, intuitive, there is no time nor surplus focus to spend thinking about it. They have to be a "done deal" when the releaser word is spoken. I cannot think of any CQC tactic that allows for any focus on the draw and initial shot. Perhaps there are some, of course, but I am unaware of them.

There are variations on DATD depending on how the OG is holding his gun, whether or not you are with a SO and how and where you are carrying, but I would strongly suggest working on it just as Guantes described it until the flow is perfect, before you try other variants.

If the OG is not holding the gun in a retention position, the distance can be extended to 6 feet, just by taking a stride forward as the support hand reaches out to parry.

Typically you will not nor should you see your gun. You see his gun to direct the parry, and then it is all over. The whole thing takes less than 1 second. If you shoot more than once, you will probably transfer your eyes to look at his eyes, still not seeing your gun.

Remember that it will work much worse in practice than in real life. The real life OG is seeking compliance, and expects it. If he wanted to kill you, you would be already dead. He wants to control your behavior, which puts him O and O and D behind the loop whereas you are at A. In practice he is at D when you are at A. That gives you a 0.2 second advantage at least.

God bless and y'all be mindful out there.

Thanks guys, that answers most of my questions. I would like to see it in action.

Rog,

Thanks for the kind words, coming from you, I really appreciate them.

I would also like to thank Gabe for deciding that the material was of sufficient merit to include in the newsletter.

I firmly believe in the technique, its basis and its present configuration. Others will probably come up with variations which are as good or better. I think when it is tested in FOF, by others, it will demonstrate its viability and dominance in appropriate situations.

I have no intentions of starting another debate on carry methods. There are several methods that have advantages of various types which may suit the needs of the individual. My primary criteria are speed and single handed ease of access. I use what works for me and suspect others do the same.

I believe the, "One Two", concept may be usable in a number of types of drills and scenarios to provide conditions that come closer to mimicking real situations in a training environment.

If you send me a tape I would be happy to critique it for you.
    Last edited by Guantes; 11-16-2006 at 02:46 PM.
    "Many men are able, most aren't willing"
    J.B. Books

FWIW, I think Tom Cruise does a pretty good DATD in "Collateral", taking out multipal BG's. Might be time to break out the DVD for another look see.

CR,

I have that scene recorded. I think it could be called a variation of DATD.

The problem I see with it is, using only the swatting motion, you better be damn sure of your action. If you don't dislodge his weapon his arm can circle back on you.

It is a pretty good example of initiating both techniques simultaneously and a one handed open front draw and fire.
    J.B. Books

Your candor is one of your best qualities.:)
    J.B. Books

Unless you practice very hard, if you try to speak when you strike you will telegraph the intention of striking.

It's far better to get the attackers to distract themselves.

Ask him questions:
    If he want's your wallet, ask if he wants the credit cards or just cash. Ask him should you toss it to him. Ask him can you have your pictures you have in it.

If he wants your car, ask him can he drive a standard/automatic (whatever type you have.) Tell him it does not have much gas and you can get him the gas if he wants.

If he says to lay down, ask him where? Ask him how? Ask him why? Give him excuses. Always excuses and lots of 'buts'.

If he ask you to look away, tell him you are hard of hearing and have to watch his lips to know what is going on.

Whenever he ask a question, say, 'what' or 'say it again' so he repeats it.

Also, get him to not look at you:
    Shift your eyes so as to look behind him.
    Glance over his sholder.
    Widden your eyes as if you see something.
    Drop your drink, cigarett, wallet, keys, anything.

Practice these things in the mirror(and now and then try them on people you meet to see if they can be fooled.)

In short, get his mind off you. The more he talks, the more he looks around, the more distracted he is, the more his mind isn't on the trigger and his OODA is off the 'A'.

Then you can try to 'beat the drop'.