Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 19 mags in a 23 (17 mags in a 22 as well)?

Has anyone else tried this? Am I the last on the planet to find this out?

Was at the local cop supply shop asking about used 23 mags. he said none in, but we got tons of 19 mags, they work fine. I am like hmmmmmmmm sounds like pull one on the new guy sorta line. But seeing as I have a 19 as well, I said ok I will take a few. Loaded them up with 13 40 S&W rounds, put it in the gun and lo and behold zero malfs. tried it again and same answer. Now have just fallen off the Noobie tree and never heard this or is this some lost secret of the Glock tribe?

Ummm, don't know how to break this to you, Pete, but yes, you are the last guy on the planet to find this out. But look on the bright side -- now you know. Knowledge is good.

Cheers,
    DR

Why would you even bother? I mean the ban os over. Mags are cheap. I got my 23 mags for like $15 bucks a piece so why would you bother not doing it right? besides you can never have too many mags for a gun.

I had never heard this, I knew 92 mags worked in a 96 beretta so those off shore 19 rounders would make it a 15 shot instead of a twelve, but had no idea 19's worked in a 23. just never made the leap.

The reason was used 19 mags were $5, new 23 mags, even on line with shipping etc run about 18-19 or more. The cheapest I have found online are 15.50 not counting shipping and handling....They have a big box of drop free 19 mags will be bag dropping a chunk of change on them on monday... and adding the blue mag bases (1.00 ea) to them so I dont load the 19 with .40's

I wouldn't trust the distance on between the lips of the mags should be different.

FWIW, I tried this once with a buddies glock 23 magazine in my glock 19. I couldn't even load the thing as the spacing on the magazine lips allowed the 9mm rounds to jump out.

You can pick up factory new standard capacity (not the clintonian limited capacity) mags for $20 in most places. Why bother messing with something that could cause failures to feed?

-I don't have time for dojo bunnies who wanna look good, and talk about training all the time... you come here to train, not talk, so shut up and train! (Muay Thai coach)

Bad idea. A 40S&W is a larger diameter and the feed lips should be too loose on a 9mm and vise versa.

Don't be cheap, buy the right gear.

I asked a similar question awhile back when I stumbled onto the fact that g17 mags will fit a g22. It will actually work as I discovered when I tested it but I agree with everyone here. Not a good idea. Given that you can do it right/safely, why not? There is no downside to having the right gear. In a crisis then maybe but I would define crisis way down the road from inconvenience.

SS
    --Roy
    And He shall be the stability of your times....Isa 33:6

I am talking about 9mm mags in a 40 gun, not the other way around, and so far, 400 rounds and not one malf.

It works, but I wouldn't try to use 9mm in the gun after the .40 has had a chance to spread the lips on the magazine a little.