Kalashnikov Training in 2015
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: charging the AK

Quote Originally Posted by cnw1115
    Is it possible to make a Galil style charging handle? Or do they already exist? I'm thinking of picking up a '74 of some sort and planning to mod it up a bit, and I think a Galil type charging handle would sure make a '74 stand out a bit more and maybe put to rest the rolling right or rolling left move.

Just some thoughts.
    Red Jacket makes up some faux-Galils from Saiga rifles that have the Galil charging handles. They charge $125 for an upswept charging handle.

Here's a pic.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. Yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap we esteem too lightly.

-Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

The main advantages of reaching under and running the bolt are;

1. Gravity assist if a cartridge or case is still in the chamber. When reloading or clearing a malfunction you want the ejection port of any self loader to point to the deck.

2. Clear the rear sight.

3. Maintain a firing grip and basic position. Less motion to get back in action.

While one can 'press check' the AK, a chamber check is better done by feeling the top round of a magazine to see if it on the left or right side. Insert the mag, charge the gun, remove the mag and feel the top round. If it's on the other side, you've got a chambered cartridge. Feel the bolt to insure it's in battery. If these 'by feel' checks don't pass, you've done something wrong. Looking at the gun to check it's condition is not a great habit to condition, suppose it's dark? This works on any closed bolt gun with two position feed. On pistols, the 'press check' should be done by feel as well, by getting a finger into the ejection port to feel for the case.

Also when you go under to charge the AK your wrist kind of naturally bends out of the way of the safety tab. Looks like less chance for doing the old cheese grater routine on your knuckles/hand as it travels past the safety.

Guys....stop thinking like an american shooter at an AR-15 gun school.

If the gun is on your shoulder, reach behind the magazine and underneath the receiver to work the bolt. If the rifle is low, off the shoulder, reach over the top. It really doesn't matter...just get it done.

On the chamber check - this is one of those USA things that we fret about incessantly. Don't overthink or doctrinalize it.

A chamber check is administrative and not done in the middle of a fight.

If you need to make sure you have a round in there in a fight, press the trigger. If you don't want to do that, just run the bolt. That will insure you have a round on board. Trying to manipulate it in some way so your right hand doesn't leave the pistol grip is silly.

If its not in the middle of a fight, simply take your primary hand (strong side) and pull back the charging handle far enough so you can see the chambered round. If you see it, or feel it, its there.

I would NOT use the round in the magazine to determine anything other than there are rounds int he magazine.

When all else fails...come to a Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting Class and learn how to do it first hand, untainted by the gunhandling of an AR-15 centric school curriculum.

I use my right hand to charge my ak I dident think there was any other way it seems to me that it would be more difficult to charg the ak under ore over just my h o p

I have always run the AK bolt with my right hand, whether it was in my left or right shoulder. I have the AK video mentioned in this thread and won't argue that he runs an AK much better than I ever will. But, until I can catch one of Gabe's classes I am just trying to figure it out as I go. So, I am working on going under the rifle and over the rifle- but if the SHTF tonight, I'll probably be charging with my right hand.

Default Charging during DRY FIRE ok?

Is it ok to dry fire the AK, pull the charging handle, dry fire again, etc? I have lots of practice to do dry as well as live but I don't want ANY damage to my AK.

I know, damage is rare, but I'm new to the AK and need reassurance.

Thanks!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbarr View Post
    My (new) WASR-10 has a very stiff operation of the charging handle... hard to pull and about half-way it gets VERY hard to continue back. In some vids I've seen, the charging operation appears to be very easy. I haven't overcome that spring over or under, just right-handed straight back.

Do I have a problem or do I just need to run it a lot (break-in)?

Thanks.
    I think the rails are a bit compressed on your rifle. I had a very similar issue and had to modify a pair of linesmen pliers and open the rails up some. I spoke to Will from RedJacket Arms Seems when rifles parts are shipped into the US they are just kinda packed packed in a box with out a lot of padding around the parts and some are smashed up a little the rails are a little soft. To fix this take a pair of linesmen pliers and a drimil tool and grind the teeth smooth then eye up the rail thickness and remove a little of face of the pliers to sit inside the rail like a knotch then apply a little pressue a little goes a long way by the way. Work the BCG back and forth until it is a little loose not sloppy! BE CAREFUL around the ejector and not spread it out too much like i said a little pressue GOES a long way! You only want to open it up enough to get some free travel of the BCG not enough so it falls out.

PM me if you need help I can maybe explain it a little better. Or I could mail you the tool I made if you promise to send it back to me.

Will
    Honor your God and ancestors.
    Live for today.
    Look to the future.
    Love with your whole heart.
    Do right and fear no one.
    Keep a couple hundred rounds loaded in mags.
    Make sure all your loose ends are tied up
    and that today's a good day to die! ..

Quote Originally Posted by BackWoods08 View Post
    I think the rails are a bit compressed on your rifle. I had a very similar issue and had to modify a pair of linesmen pliers and open the rails up some. I spoke to Will from RedJacket Arms Seems when rifles parts are shipped into the US they are just kinda packed packed in a box with out a lot of padding around the parts and some are smashed up a little the rails are a little soft. To fix this take a pair of linesmen pliers and a drimil tool and grind the teeth smooth then eye up the rail thickness and remove a little of face of the pliers to sit inside the rail like a knotch then apply a little pressue a little goes a long way by the way. Work the BCG back and forth until it is a little loose not sloppy! BE CAREFUL around the ejector and not spread it out too much like i said a little pressue GOES a long way! You only want to open it up enough to get some free travel of the BCG not enough so it falls out.

PM me if you need help I can maybe explain it a little better. Or I could mail you the tool I made if you promise to send it back to me.

Will
    That's good advice but before you bend the rails remove the hammer, reinstall the bolt and see if that smooths things up. I had a similar problem after installing a G2 trigger group (I think some WASRs come with those) and it turned out the bolt was dragging on the hammer. A little stoning on the hammer face and the bottom of the bolt squared it away.

BW8: Thank you for the reply. Hadn't thought of the rail warp. Pulled it down a bit ago thinking that there'd first be signs of chafe/wear, but none seen. Seems there are two "high spots" where the action drags... one is the hammer (seen) the other is yet unseen.

We've had various events that have taken both time and initiative so I haven't really gotten into this. I will get to it; right now it'll shoot but the action is not butter-like (as others describe theirs).

Certainly appreciate the tool offer... thank you; but I'll pass for now. I want to be able to devote some time to really examining this problem and maybe should start with a good deburring and polish.

fyresq - Thanks for that - I'll check that hammer.

Thanks again - much appreciated.
    Last edited by Ironbarr; 11-09-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    -AndyB
    --As Always... For Whatever The Value