SI 2014 Training
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: charging the AK

Ironbarr
    Its going to be easier to operate the charging handle with the weapon cocked. You are not overpowering the hammer spring tension then the disconnector spring tension like you are when charging the weapon from an uncocked position.

It is difficult to assess if you have a weapon problem via this medium.

I liken the effort to charge the weapon from an uncocked position to that of pulling the starting rope on a chainsaw or lawn mower, if that gives you a perspective.
    "Many men are able, most aren't willing"
    J.B. Books

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbarr
    Without tearing it down, but with a bright light it appears that the hardest "spot" to overcome is when the hammer is down. When cocked it is some easier to bring the charging handle all the way back without it dragging/stopping half-way... as it does when the hammer is down.

Ideas?

Thanks.
    Mine is the same way. It was that way with the old fire control parts and it's that way with the Red Star parts. Much improved with the Red Star fire control, but still firm. It's caused by a combination of the hammer spring tension and the friction of the bolt sliding over the hammer to cock it. Some are stiffer than others. To make it easy to charge, I think you would need to install a lighter recoil spring, which I do not advise. That can cause the other problems. It's an AK. It's never going to run as smooth as an AR.

I appreciate your replies folks...guess the over/under training will relax some while I make like a (modified) AR charger. :)

Well, whatever. The name of the game is to get a round breeched - how it's done isn't locked in cement - unless it's a sixteen-inch fifty. :D

Thanks again.
    -AndyB
    --As Always... For Whatever The Value

I was charging the AK over the top until I saw the AK Vid. It looked a little funny to me at first but I've found that going under the rifle is much stronger for me. I have to contort my hand to get over the top of the rifle.

I don't like to go over the top and charge if I don't have to. I did however run into several situations that demanded over the top charging in the last rifle class I took.

This seems to be one of the few good times to be a lefty. For my first rifle I bought an arsenal inc sam7. Without any formal training I have mainly just been going to the range and getting used to the rifle and trying to find what works for me. For initial charging I will typically have the rifle pointing down range at hip level. When I practice reloads while moving I will typically keep the rifle at my left shoulder with cheek weld maintained with my left hand on the pistol grip and conduct the reload/charge with my right hand. Also do the same for safety on/off.

One question: When I am shooting close targets it seems like I have better control of the rifle if I move my forward (right) hand behind the front grip and hold the magazine where it feeds into the receiver with my thumb on the bottom edge of the receiver. Is there a reason not to do this?

It was Gabe's RBOB video that first showed me how to charge underneath, then the AK video. I really like going under better than over. For me it is MUCH faster to go under. If for whatever reason I don't want to charge with the left hand, I use the left hand to keep the rifle pressed to the shoulder and slap the charging handle back with my right hand. Just like you'd do with a straight pull bolt action.

Quote from OBNEPEC----------One question: When I am shooting close targets it seems like I have better control of the rifle if I move my forward (right) hand behind the front grip and hold the magazine where it feeds into the receiver with my thumb on the bottom edge of the receiver. Is there a reason not to do this?[/quote]

This works just fine as long as you can make sure that your right thumb doesn't stray up and get in the way of the charging handle while its slamming back and forth. Holding the top of the magazine with the forward hand works great for right-handers, but for lefties....you DO have to watch out for this little painful surprise if you're not careful.
    On a brighter note, we lefties don't have to worry about whether to charge the weapon by going over OR under. We just rack it with our right hand and keep going, because the charging handle is exactly where it needs to be to work best for us. The AK is a left-hander's dream gun.

Default Hand on mag

I am not really qualified to throw in even my .02 here, as I have no combat experience. However, it seems to me putting the support hand on the magazine has a number of drawbacks, logically. Nonetheless, what works for you for faster, better hits is what works.

1. Shorter grip radius. The closer your hands are together, the less accurately they point. Your support hand is the pointing mechanism of a long arm. The farther it is out on the gun, comfortably, the more accurately you can point the front of the firearm.
    2. Kabooms. Yes, they happen, although rarely. When they do, however, with most magazine fed weapons the discharge of gas and broken parts goes through the area of least resistance: the mag well. Place your hand there, and you will probably be seriously wounded.
    3. Mag release. You are putting your hand at the mag release location. It is improbable you will accidentally activate a mag release at the worst possible moment, whikle shooting in the cold with a gloved hand, but you can guarantee you won't if your hand is not near the mag release.

CB3

Quote Originally Posted by CB3
    3. Mag release. You are putting your hand at the mag release location. It is improbable you will accidentally activate a mag release at the worst possible moment, whikle shooting in the cold with a gloved hand, but you can guarantee you won't if your hand is not near the mag release.

CB3
    I don't know, with the way the AK mags rock in, I'd think holding it by the mag would, if anything, prevent it from coming out.

My concern would ba that the forward tilt would have the round being loaded hit the end of the barrel rather than feed into the chamber.

Is it possible to make a Galil style charging handle? Or do they already exist? I'm thinking of picking up a '74 of some sort and planning to mod it up a bit, and I think a Galil type charging handle would sure make a '74 stand out a bit more and maybe put to rest the rolling right or rolling left move.

Just some thoughts.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast