SI 2014 Training
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: charging the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Draco 13
    That means your trigger finger has to leave the trigger.
    Very true.
    But,
    Untill one has charged the rifle, the trigger finger cannot do much.
    Personally I keep my hand on the pistol grip. It has never been a problem for me to charge with my left hand. But I don't see a problem with using the right hand ( for a right handed shooter.)
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

FWIW, I just completed Urban AK with Paul Gomez last Friday.

The method he taught us was to rotate the rifle up w/ the butt against your side and the crook of your arm and release the magazine while keeping a “F****ing Firing Grip” (FFG) on the pistol grip w/ your strong hand. Insert the fresh magazine using the “knuckles up – knuckles down” method to ensure the mag is seated. With the AK still semi vertical, come under the rifle with your off hand and rack the charging handle to the rear with the side of your hand palm out.

It is a lot easier than it sounds!;)

On Operating The Kalashnikov Rifle -

Friend and brother in arms Karl Johnson related a story about his time with the Gurkhas. He could not say enough about these brave warriors, and I hope I get the tale correctly.

He told of how he'd asked one of the Gurkha NCOs about training with the big Nepalese knife, the Kukri.

The Gurkha mentioned that they trained extensively with it. KJ asked, that if one day they had time, that he'd like to learn the knife art of the Gurkhas.

The Gurkha NCO said. "We have time right now...please pick up the kukri".
    Karl grabbed up the big machete-like knife and waited for instructions.

"Raise it high above your head sab".
    "Yes that's it...no bring it down hard....fast".
    "Yes..very good...do it again".
    "Good.....no go to the next man"

I laughed my head off when I heard that story, but it is full of truth and combat lessons. Simple is better and the AK is monkey-caveman simple. That is why I choose it. Don't over think it. You need to charge the rifle...just do it.

My (new) WASR-10 has a very stiff operation of the charging handle... hard to pull and about half-way it gets VERY hard to continue back. In some vids I've seen, the charging operation appears to be very easy. I haven't overcome that spring over or under, just right-handed straight back.

Do I have a problem or do I just need to run it a lot (break-in)?

Thanks.
    -AndyB
    --As Always... For Whatever The Value

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbarr
    My (new) WASR-10 has a very stiff operation of the charging handle... hard to pull and about half-way it gets VERY hard to continue back. In some vids I've seen, the charging operation appears to be very easy. I haven't overcome that spring over or under, just right-handed straight back.

Do I have a problem or do I just need to run it a lot (break-in)?

Thanks.
    Lube the rails and practice charging it a lot.

I do the left hand under the rifle method. I found it works well for rifles with the charging handle on the right side (M14 included).

One of the issues with not-so-good quality AK's (aka WASR) is that most people try treating them with kid gloves on...Maybe it's not very good AK, but it's still an AK. Don't work the charging handle by pulling it- like in AR platform. Be rougher- slap it all the way back and let the spring do the the return action. As to which way is better- whichever works for you best. Nike had it right- JUST DO IT...

Like Gabe said the AK is monkey simple, I do not own one. It is a fine rifle for it's purpose, just look at how many of them there are out there. As for charging the rifle I like to keep the FFG, keep the hand on the pistol grip, drop the butt down under the arm for stability, and do everything with the off hand underneath. As for reloads I keep the gun mounted to the shoulder and perform everything weak handed, I like to keep as many spot welds on the gun as possible. Not to say there are circumstances that you will not have to lose a few but in general I try to keep it that way and running the charging handle is performed from underneath the gun. I have a big hand so I can manipulate the safety with the firing hand thumb and not compromise my FFG.

Now if we can just dremmel all of those sharp edges off the AK.:D
    Last edited by Firearmz; 11-04-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearmz
    Now if we can just dremmel all of those sharp edges off the AK.:D
    I'm pretty sure I did on mine. Took all of 20 minutes. :p
    "My right flank has collapsed. My center has fallen. Situation excellent. I am attacking"

-Ferdinand Foch

Default Re my (above) "hard charger"...

Without tearing it down, but with a bright light it appears that the hardest "spot" to overcome is when the hammer is down. When cocked it is some easier to bring the charging handle all the way back without it dragging/stopping half-way... as it does when the hammer is down.

Ideas?

Thanks.
    -AndyB
    --As Always... For Whatever The Value

Another thing to consider is going under the reciever keeps you from getting "tangled up" in the rear sight.

I run an RPK rear sight on my Maadi AKM due to barrel being installed slightly off center. That way I can adjust windage with the rear sight. BUT the RPK sight is bigger than the standard and if you are not careful you can get caught on it going over the top.

Not LIKELY on the range leisurely plinking, but possible when reloading under stress. Not saying I NEVER charge it over the top, but I try not to.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    Master Class IDPA Stock Service Pistol

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast