The Suarez Method
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: charging the AK

Default charging the AK

I have the Beyond the Firearm - Ak DVD (which rocks BTW) and I am curious about how Mr. Puzikas works the charging handle.

He brings his weak hand under the rifle to charge. For me, this feels a little weaker and less sure than when I bring my weak hand OVER the rifle. Is it a physiological quirk that only I feel this way, and Mr. Puzikas' way is just as strong (or stronger)? Or is it slightly weaker to go under, but there is another operational/tactical reason to do it that offsets this? I have watched the DVD numerous timee, but I am not sure.

Does Mr. Suarez or Mr. Gomez advocate this as well?

Any input is appreciated.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Mal Reynolds from Serenity

When I carried one ( I don't have one, ) I did likewise.
    Over the top.
    Actually I tilted my rifle to the left, so the charging handle was really on top.
    Worked fine for me. Felt good.
    But I haven't trained with Sonny & Gabe, so I have an open mind on this.
    Regards,
    Anthony.

I have always gone over the top as well. Being able to see the handle, diagnose any probems, and move the left hand without manuevering around the long sticky-outy magazine seemed a natural choice.

After shooting with Gabe in Nov, I started trying to see if going under was better. Rotating that way leaves your left hand under the gun where the handle is, so the motion is smaller than moving your left all the way 'round to the top and back.

To me it seems more efficient but less sure to move under. The surety is a training issue, so I would suggest you really give it a try before deciding against it.

I have not yet broken my over the top habits, but I am working on it.
    Problem solved, problem staying solved

One thing about the inicial load of an empty weapon, before work, is that I like to pull back slightly on the handle, to do a sort of 'press check'. This is a habit I doubt I'll ever brake.
    Just seems easier with the weapon over to the left. Pull back on the handle to chamber, then pull back slightly to peek.

A reload/malfunction drill is obviously different though.
    Regards,
    Anthony.

charging the AK

From the title, I thought this topic was going to be more like me and my credit card every time I go to the gun store. :D

I've always trained to go over the top and charge w/ my weak hand pinky while mataining a cheek weld as recommended by Chuck Taylor in his Fighting Rifle book, but only break the cheek weld and tilt the rifle when checking the chamber or when an optic has been installed on the side rail. Since watching Sonnys DVD I've been going under to charge. It only seems faster when you have an optic on the side rail. I think training using both ways is the way to go. I can foresee situations where one way would be more efficient over the other. like going over the top while prone or clearing a malfunction where you would be tilting the ejection port up a little anyway to get a better look at what the problem is and going under while standing/kneeling for the initial charge and after mag changes.

Nothing is carved in stone. I use both under and over methods (while only under method is discussed in the DVD, the other one and more in depth study of under method will be present in Beyond the firearm-2), depending on number of factors. Under method could be problematic if using 40 or 45 round RPK magazines, having additional weight of loaded GP-30 under the barrel, being in lowered shooting platforms, etc.
    Stay open and adapt. There is no one "always right" way.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyP
    Nothing is carved in stone. I use both under and over methods (while only under method is discussed in the DVD, the other one and more in depth study of under method will be present in Beyond the firearm-2), depending on number of factors. Under method could be problematic if using 40 or 45 round RPK magazines, having additional weight of loaded GP-30 under the barrel, being in lowered shooting platforms, etc.
    Stay open and adapt. There is no one "always right" way.
    Mr. Puzikas, thanks much for the clarification. It just shows the level of this forum. Most other ones are only into preaching the dogmatic "truth". I have been working both methods.

Even more important, I am stoked to hear you are doing a follow up DVD. Any chance you can give us a ballpark idea when it might be available? I would love to plan ahead and be ready to purchase it the first day (something I don't say about very many things).
    "I aim to misbehave" - Mal Reynolds from Serenity

What wrong with using the right hand? the charge handle is on the right side. To me it seems alot easier than reaching over the sights blinding yourself or under trying to get around the magizine. Using the left hand seem awkward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolman1974
    What wrong with using the right hand? the charge handle is on the right side. To me it seems alot easier than reaching over the sights blinding yourself or under trying to get around the magizine. Using the left hand seem awkward to me.
    That means your trigger finger has to leave the trigger.
    Joe

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    --Albert Einstein--

"Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced." --Albert Einstein--

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." --D.H. Lawrence--