The Suarez Method
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Al Lipscomb Guest
    I watched an "instructor" who claims to have combat kills blow a fuse when he was "swept" by a muzzle of a gun he knew was empty, magazine out and action open. Its not that safety is not important, its just a context driven problem.

Shooting past me at an enemy is not a crime, it is a favor.

Crebralfix...don't forget the little block for me :)
    But don't block-out the uber cool Oakley's ;)

Cheers mate,

Y-
    Yancey Harrington

Question Lefty question

Quote Originally Posted by crebralfix
    After this class, I have lots of respect for the AK system of rifles. It focuses upon simplicity. I found it very easy to use, especially for a left handed person.
    I was wondering if you could expound on this a little as far as some ideas of things I can work on. Being a lefty and being signed up for the Oct class, I would prefer to not ingrain any bad habits from my personal practice sessions so I can get as much as possible from the class. What things did you notice about the AK system that were better/worse for us wrong handed people. Thanks in advance.

Default My $.02

Firecop,

My admittedly limited experience would indicate that as a lefty, you won't be hampered by the ejection sequence/shell trajectory, as casings goes forward and to the right about 20 feet. Also, the bolt lever is on YOUR strong side, so it's an easy manipulation.

I'll now step out of the way and let others with more experience and training give you more useful observations.

Actually I can answer this one for you. Not that I'm left handed, but I can see where lefties have an advantage with the AK.

What do lefties complain about on ARs? Not having the charging handle easily grabbed without breaking firing grip (because you have to reach across the stock in front of your face if you keep the rifle shouldered), and not being able to use thumb of strong hand to operate selector switch(because the selector is on the LEFT side of the gun).

Lefties using AKs have ALL the controls oriented toward their SUPPORT side. You take off the safety AND operate the bolt handle without having to ever break your firing grip on the pistol grip. And you don't have to reach under or over the receiver with your support hand to reach the handle or the safety like a right handed guy does. It is all RIGHT THERE for you to manipulate with your right hand(support hand). Pretty slick. And it goes without saying that since the mag release is a paddle at the rear of the mag well, it is truly ambidextrous.

AKs are definitley "left handed friendly". Much more so than ARs.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    Master Class IDPA Stock Service Pistol

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

CHL and K- Thanks for the quick replies. Makes perfect sense. Those are definitely the downsides to the AR as it comes to lefties. I've learned to work around it with my AR so if an AK doesnt require me to, then that is just another selling point for the AK.

Firecop:

Hold the AK with your primary hand. Place your support hand at the magazine area. Point your thumb forward, just like pistol shooting. You can very quickly use your thumb to disengage the safety. I place my thumb on the safety when holding the gun close to my body. Curl your hand and now you can easily work the bolt.

Default Hand to Hand Combat Training

Sonny demonstrates that letting go of the AK and turning it 90 degrees throws the opponent off balance. Smacking Lumino in the face helped.

Control the head and the body will follow. In this case, a close look at the ground is in Lumino's future.