Default AK gas block 90 degree vs 45 degree

With all this talk about AKs and the distinct possibility of a imminent political shift in the good ole U.S., I have been giving serious thought to building a couple of rifles.

My neighbor has a couple and we have discussed the particulars of building vs just buying one. One of the things he said was that the standard gas block on an AK -47 is of the 45 degree variety and that the gas flow provides for "shear force" on the bullet and that this "shear force" can shave the bullet to a degree which can effect accuracy.

I have found a 7.62 x 39 barrel that has the 90 degree gas block but I don't really know the validity of the above noted accuracy issue. K-Var sells 'em but they are pricey.

Anyone know about this?

I've never seen evidence of it myself, but allegedly bullet shear became an issue with high velocity ammo like 5.45x39mm, that's why AK-74 production line switched from 45 to 90 degree gas block in 1975-76. If you are planning on a 7.62x39mm AK, a 45 degree gas block is fine unless you are really trying to build a tack driver (good luck). Bullet shear must not be a serious problem because Romania still uses 45 degree gas blocks on their 5.45mm AK-74 (AIM-74) variant. I have also heard that at some point drilling was refined so that the gas port always went into a barrel groove instead of random placement among the lands and grooves. I wouldn't worry about it in 7.62x39mm in any case, it's an AK!

Doesn't the sniper version ( Draganov ?) also have a 45 degree gas block ?
    Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

I always thought they converted to 90 degrees to lower production costs. Much cheaper and easier to drill straight down into the barrel than at a 45-degree angle.

The downside to 90 degree blocks is that it's much harder for your peasant army to effectively clean their gas ports, a big downside when you use corrosive ammo.

"Doesn't the sniper version ( Draganov ?) also have a 45 degree gas block ?"

Therefore, the Dragunov (the real Dragunov as in SVD and not the Romanian PSL/FPK) is different from that of the kalashnikov gas system...

Far as I know... and have been told... by the weapon plants in Russia and in Bulgaria... the 45 vs 90 degree gas block is purely a cosmetic one...

Take it for whats its worth... but... my 47's and 74's just shoot fine with no appreciable difference between the two...

Dunno what else to add...

Y-
    Yancey Harrington

Dunno nuthin 'bout no Commie engineering. Got any drawings of this part?

Thanks to all who replied. Seems to be a non issue but I figured I'd inquire since the 7.62 x 39 barrel is available with a 90 degree gas block.

I can see however, how drilling the gas hole in the barrel might be a little trickier at a 45 degree angle and if done wrong might screw up the lands and thus accuracy.