Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    I bought the Advantage Arms 22lr conversion. After digging around a bit I found consistent complaints about malfunctions with the slide when a optic was mounted. The thought was the weigh of the optic slowed the slide down causing the issue. I pumped the brakes a bit on getting an optic for that slide.
    I ended up calling alled Advantage Arms to discuss and they told me this Holosun is the only optic they recommend.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

    “Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Food for thought - most of these pistols being discussed can be milled for the MOS footprint. No different than an RMR milling in the sense that it didn't have to come from the factory that way.
    Was about to ask this question. I have a bunch of Glocks, but no MOS ones. I didn't know if there was different engineering, or if it was just a cut. This optic looks awesome. Pretty sure I'm going this route.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post

    One question I have though is about the power system when used for concealed carry. For myself, and probably a lot of us here, my carry pistol rarely sees daylight. It's under a shirt/hoodie/vest/etc about 16 hours a day, and then goes on the nightstand for lights out. I question whether it'd be able to keep itself charged enough to function. OP - I'd be real interested to hear about your experiences in that regard if you spend some time carrying it.
    I have the same questions. Mine will be concealed EDC as well.

    Per the manual, the charge with the dot only setting with the unit ON will last 200,000 hours (22 YEARS). DOT and Circle ON for 10,000 hours (over 1 year). Note that the unit has the auto off with shake awake system so it will be OFF at times as well.

    I use the Dot only. So maybe I'll set the unit outside in the sun once per year or make certain to bring it to the outdoor range at least once per year....

    SCS_MOS_MANUAL - Copy_Page_1.jpg

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    261
    Looking at those numbers just train with it once a year. If you are not someone who trains with their gear then this is not for you.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NW Washington
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by LV_MD View Post
    I have the same questions. Mine will be concealed EDC as well.

    Per the manual, the charge with the dot only setting with the unit ON will last 200,000 hours (22 YEARS). DOT and Circle ON for 10,000 hours (over 1 year). Note that the unit has the auto off with shake awake system so it will be OFF at times as well.

    I use the Dot only. So maybe I'll set the unit outside in the sun once per year or make certain to bring it to the outdoor range at least once per year....

    SCS_MOS_MANUAL - Copy_Page_1.jpg

    Those numbers have to be with some regular exposure to sunlight. It's practically impossible for them to be accurate without use of the solar cell to keep the batteries charged. Batteries do have a finite life; there is a point at which they'll no longer accept a charge - that's what the number you quoted is referencing. It does not mean it'll last that long without sunlight exposure.

    And of course the shake-awake thing is ineffective while being carried; any time it's in your belt it'll be turned on.

    I'll wait for real world results from being carried, rather than believing the literature claims. I have no idea how much sunlight per day is considered "normal use" for Holosun, but for my current carry method it's nearly zero.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Those numbers have to be with some regular exposure to sunlight. It's practically impossible for them to be accurate without use of the solar cell to keep the batteries charged. Batteries do have a finite life; there is a point at which they'll no longer accept a charge - that's what the number you quoted is referencing. It does not mean it'll last that long without sunlight exposure.

    And of course the shake-awake thing is ineffective while being carried; any time it's in your belt it'll be turned on.

    I'll wait for real world results from being carried, rather than believing the literature claims. I have no idea how much sunlight per day is considered "normal use" for Holosun, but for my current carry method it's nearly zero.
    The shake awake mode would turn off the optic while sleeping, or when seated, so you’d get battery savings there. Looking at the numbers, setting it near a sunny window during an afternoon shower every now and then would keep you topped off even if you only train with it indoors.
    Last edited by Captain Ron; 11-25-2022 at 08:17 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    191
    As the OP, I do not think it is worth the time of WT members to go further down the rabbit hole and speculate on the longevity and re-charge methods for this optic.

    We all have experience in life with replaceable batteries, rechargeable batteries, actual battery life versus published ideal battery life, etc...

    Having used Holosun optics with replaceable batteries/solar power for many years and simply reviewing the spec sheet on this newest optic - I believe that it will work just fine for my EDC needs.

    I published the manual/specs for informational purposes. Each shooter can make their own choice...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5,655
    Quote Originally Posted by LV_MD View Post
    As the OP, I do not think it is worth the time of WT members to go further down the rabbit hole and speculate on the longevity and re-charge methods for this optic.

    We all have experience in life with replaceable batteries, rechargeable batteries, actual battery life versus published ideal battery life, etc...

    Having used Holosun optics with replaceable batteries/solar power for many years and simply reviewing the spec sheet on this newest optic - I believe that it will work just fine for my EDC needs.

    I published the manual/specs for informational purposes. Each shooter can make their own choice...
    Check daily-daily and if Murphy shows up at the party, use your irons. Pretty sure that's SOP around here.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:28

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    European Union - Romania
    Posts
    215
    I've worked harde for 2,5 years with red dots to become as good as with iron in 25. So I manage to became much faster with red dots for 5-50 yards for harder targets. I ve tried moslly of premium red dots, but none is even close with RMR for combat and SRO for sport.
    I put a SCS on my 34 who is my ccw and I d like his low setting on the slide and instant finding the dot, but I dislike it has no manual adjustment and intensity of the the dot... too high distracting my eyes from the threat.
    So next days I ll put back my RMR 3.25 with partials cowintees Ameriglo sights
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I knew none, and therefore am no beast.” Richard III – William Shakespeare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •