Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD lever

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    Had one on a rifle. Ran it for a while.

It was a solution looking for a problem.

It’s long gone now.
    Same here.
    Virtute et Armis

I purchased a new (built) rifle with this 'miracle' device on it and removed it immediately. I asked the guy (dude is former US Army) about why he had this thingy on the rifle and he said that the youtubers swear by them. Not me. Device is deleted.

As Hasher said: "It was a solution looking for a problem."

Edited to add: In a gunfight, having extra thingies on a rifle could cause the rifle to stop working, if the environment acts on the rifle or if the operator mistakenly touches the extra thingie in a way to cause it to activate at a time that is not intended.
    Last edited by KarlinPhoenix; 10-05-2022 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clarification about these extra thingies
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

Thank you all. Looks like a no go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stankasz1 View Post
    Thank you all. Looks like a no go for me.
    It's not an expensive part, why don't you try one and judge for yourself?

Based on the myriad of reviews, it's definitely a love / hate relationship.

I love it. YMMV

I have one. It is kind of handy when shooting off the bench while chronographing ammo with a single shot block in the mag well, but not much else.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 1978 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 2011, Oct. 2017
    PSP - April 2012
    TMCO - Sept. 2012
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

I don't use the Magpul part, but make a solid one-piece version for all my rifles. It does simplify manipulations in some circumstances, and I haven't found any downside (to my version at least, maybe the add-on pieces could come loose).

It's particularly helpful with a scoped rifle, which for a right handed shooter with a standard charging handle dictates pinching the left side of the charge handle with thumb and forefinger - trying to lock the bolt back without a mag in that position requires a reach-around with a standard bolt catch, but is much simpler with the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I don't use the Magpul part, but make a solid one-piece version for all my rifles. It does simplify manipulations in some circumstances, and I haven't found any downside (to my version at least, maybe the add-on pieces could come loose).

It's particularly helpful with a scoped rifle, which for a right handed shooter with a standard charging handle dictates pinching the left side of the charge handle with thumb and forefinger - trying to lock the bolt back without a mag in that position requires a reach-around with a standard bolt catch, but is much simpler with the lever.
    Pics?
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Pics?
    Sure.

This one was shortened for a side charge handle with a different upper. On a lower I may or may not have. Normal operation remains unaffected.

And before anyone asks - I'm way too busy, sorry; I currently am in a position where I don't need the money from extra projects, and also don't have the time. But feel free to use the idea if it helps you.

I use Yondering’s device on my rifles. Primarily I use it to hold open the bolt, though I do practice dropping the bolt with it. Just like I practice more than one method of running an AK charging handle, it does not hurt to have more than one method of doing things.

No gun is perfect out of the box. Are some enhancements unnecessary? Yes. Are some counterproductive? Certainly. I have not found Yondering’s device to be counterproductive. It makes some things a little easier and IMO that is not a bad thing.

I had a BAD lever and did not care for it. It’s not so much the idea but the execution of it. I did not find that it worked still well for me. You can find YT videos showing how it causes malfunctions…I never experienced them but the feel of it wasn’t for me.

Yondering’s device is based on the same idea but it simply works better. It’s more solid. You push the BAD lever DOWN, whereas Yondering’s device you can push IN. That may not sound like much but it does change the mechanics and results in a more positive action.

Like any product enhancement, you have to test, test, test. And make sure you understand WHAT it does and WHY it may be valuable. Don’t just tack something on because it seems like a good idea.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Donít just tack something on because it seems like a good idea.
    Absolutely!

I think most of us are well past the "quad rail with all the things plus the kitchen sink" phase, but there are still some devices out there that may be good in concept but lacking in execution. Deciphering the difference is what some people lack; if part X fell off or caused malfunctions, it doesn't necessarily mean that the basic concept isn't workable when executed differently. I don't have a lot of experience with the BAD lever, but those tiny little screws and the way it clamps to the bolt catch just didn't appeal to me as a reliability testing guy. So I made my own and eliminated what I saw as a potential weak area.

Most of my rifles are assembled with a fairly minimalist approach, but sometimes when function can be enhanced while retaining that streamlined form and reliable function, I like to take advantage of that. All of my rifles are capable of performing far better than a factory gun, and part of it is due to devices that add function, like this, suppressor-mount muzzle devices, and some method of tuning the operating system, to name a few.

As to the BAD lever itself - I like the basic concept, but not the part as currently executed. I know there are some other aftermarket variations out there, but don't have very much input on them.